Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Well, Galaxy Tab is still lighter (don't think they altered the weight) and Froyo out of the box, no reason to root. To me, those two are a big difference, plus the two integrated cameras, which are better than iPad 2 by the way.
Depends on the user. Rooting is easy to do and easy to un-do. As for me, I fail to see the need for cameras in a tablet. My netbook has one and I never use it.

Paying extra for features I'll never use is a waste of money. So given the choice between a $250 Nook Color and a $350 Galaxy Tab, I'll take the Nook Color in a heartbeat. Drop the price of the Galaxy Tab to $250 and I'll take it; until then...
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I fail to see the need for cameras in a tablet. My netbook has one and I never use it.
Document Scanner -> *.pdf (Android Market) is one very useful feature for a rear facing camera.

Of course you could always just scan your documents on your multifunction printer to you PC or Mac, but those a a little unwieldy to carry around.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Document Scanner -> *.pdf (Android Market) is one very useful feature for a rear facing camera.

Of course you could always just scan your documents on your multifunction printer to you PC or Mac, but those a a little unwieldy to carry around.
That's fine for people who do that kind of stuff, but I don't. I have a combination printer/fax/scanner and in the last three years, I've used it, maybe twice.

The Nook Color is perfect for people like me. A high quality tablet without unnecessary features to keep the cost down.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used mine just last night; I needed to send a copy of my electric bill to a PVS installer so they could work up a quote for me. Just as a test, I also scanned it on my multifunction printer, and I have to say the scanned PDF came out clearer, but the one from my phone was adequate.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I just downloaded a free app called "CamScanner Free" to my iPod touch. Now I'm prepared to scan something if the need should arise. I picked it because it had the best 5-star to 1-star review ratio.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #21
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I just downloaded a free app called "CamScanner Free" to my iPod touch. Now I'm prepared to scan something if the need should arise. I picked it because it had the best 5-star to 1-star review ratio.
Sure, but the price of an iPod Touch + Nook Color is greater than that of a Galaxy Tab. (Not to mention that I will never own an Apple product again.)

The rooted Nook Color and the Tab are both great machines, either will be the perfect choice for some people and less so for others.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Sure, but the price of an iPod Touch + Nook Color is greater than that of a Galaxy Tab. (Not to mention that I will never own an Apple product again.)
True; and so is an iPod touch + Galaxy Tab.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
So it looks the the WIFI Tab is closer to the nook than I expected. Had a friend buy the Tab this is the info he gave me.

The WIFI model does not have the SD slot nor the micro HDMI slot.

HW Tab has Gorilla Glass, cameras, faster processor, 16GB internal storage (8GB more than the nook) , better screen sensitivity, mic.

From the software you have Samsung's enhancements(and 3rd party apps). Working BT stack 2.1.

ROMing the Tab is not so easy, need to find the correct ROM (3G vs WIFI).

For the nook you have to buy a micro sd card ~$30 for a 8GB class 6. On the cheap you get one for $15.

The battery life on the nook is better.

Tough call I think both are winners. If cash is king then you can opt for the nook else if features are the driving factor the Tab hardware will allow you to do more with the device.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #24
wodin
Illiterate

Being a 3G SGT owner, I'd have to say if I wanted a WiFi 7" tab, at this point it would be the NC.

Reason? It's bootable from the SD card making Rooting/ROMing trivial, unlike the SGT.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #25
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
So it looks the the WIFI Tab is closer to the nook than I expected. Had a friend buy the Tab this is the info he gave me.

The WIFI model does not have the SD slot nor the micro HDMI slot.

HW Tab has Gorilla Glass, cameras, faster processor, 16GB internal storage (8GB more than the nook) , better screen sensitivity, mic.

From the software you have Samsung's enhancements(and 3rd party apps). Working BT stack 2.1.

ROMing the Tab is not so easy, need to find the correct ROM (3G vs WIFI).

For the nook you have to buy a micro sd card ~$30 for a 8GB class 6. On the cheap you get one for $15.

The battery life on the nook is better.

Tough call I think both are winners. If cash is king then you can opt for the nook else if features are the driving factor the Tab hardware will allow you to do more with the device.

=X=
No SD slot and no HDMI? I wouldn't buy a tablet without an SD card slot, period, and HDMI is super handy.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #26
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Never mind...

Last edited by Dylrob; 05-12-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #27
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Being a 3G SGT owner, I'd have to say if I wanted a WiFi 7" tab, at this point it would be the NC.

Reason? It's bootable from the SD card making Rooting/ROMing trivial, unlike the SGT.
CM7 has come a long way since the launch of the nook. At the time you bought the SGT, it was by far the best 7" tablet. I still think it is, but one is paying a premium for the 3G SGT.

That said I am very happy with my nook w/CM7.

Personally I would hold off any purchase of a 7" tablet until a T2 with a good screen comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
No SD slot and no HDMI? I wouldn't buy a tablet without an SD card slot, period, and HDMI is super handy.
Not sure if this makes a difference but bot the SGT and nook have a microSD slot.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote