Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
jacquelineo
jacquelineo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Where do you buy your books?

I'm new to the Kindle and I'm looking to see where people find their books. I mainly use Amazon.
jacquelineo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Amazon, Baen Books (www.webscription.net), some from Fictionwise (Multiformat). I bought a couple from Smashwords the other day.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Don't forget to use this site as well. It is loaded with goodies!

...... and the price is perfect.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Mainly Fictionwise as I am very entrenched in their reward scheme and like having all my books in one central place. I buy multiformat, and 'liberate' any secure ones.

I have bought a handful from Kobo and Smashwords too. I have not bought anything from Amazon except for a French-English dictionary to use with the built-in dictionary feature.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Amazon... there are so many free books I have more stuff to read than I know what to do with
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
There's a lot of classics available here at MR who's been made available by devoted MR users who's put a lot of effort and work into making these books available in a readable e-book format.

As for your Kindle here's the direct link to the books available in mobipocket format:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=128
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Booksonboards.com
Diesel-ebooks.com

funny is most ebooks you are not allowed to order on amazon.com cause "the publisher doesn't allow us to sell this book in your country" you can order there most of the time cheaper *wohoo* (of yourse without wireless delivery and you'll have to strip off DRM first)

Last edited by Sischa; 02-11-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Lately been hitting the freebies and just looking for some gems. But amazon used to work, now I'm a bit wary because of the wars, lol.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
If I'm looking for a particular title, I tend to search for it in Add All (http://ebooks.addall.com/). Since I only search for Kindle-compatible formats, that tends to lead to Amazon, Feedbooks, and a few others.

By the way, don't forget Project Guthenberg. All their titles are either in Mobi format, or a format that can easily be converted.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
I have bought from O'Reilly (computer related books). Now I have begun to buy from Swedish stores like adlibris.se and bokus.se since they sell new titles without DRM (only titles in Swedish AFAIK). I got a Kindle but avoid the Amazon store since most content is defective by DRM.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I alternate between fictionwise and Amazon.. I'm pretty boring in that regard!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I dont buy books, I rent em.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
Booksonboards.com
Diesel-ebooks.com

funny is most ebooks you are not allowed to order on amazon.com cause "the publisher doesn't allow us to sell this book in your country" you can order there most of the time cheaper *wohoo* (of yourse without wireless delivery and you'll have to strip off DRM first)
Hi Sischa,

I am wondering how you read books from these sources, particularly BOB, since it does not list the Kindle and you can't put Mobipocket Reader on the kindle. Of course I know you can read MOBI books on the kinde, so I have always wondered if this is a DRM issue.

Thanks,

k4k

PS. OK, now I read your post more carefully and I realize it is a DRM issue.

Thanks.

Last edited by krazy4katz; 02-13-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: oops, read too fast...
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #14
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Mostly Amazon and Feedbooks. Fictionwise is a good starting point, too. But most of the stuff I read is free anyway (or I make them so).
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I mostly pick up things from Amazon, but the odd time I get things from Fictionwise as well.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote