Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What books to buy?

I still have my $50 credit with the Sony Connect store. What books should I purchase? I'm going to be looking this weekend to see what I want. But any recommendations would be good. Thanks!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
How could we possibly know which books you like?

Take the time to look around in the various categories you like to read. The Connect Bookstore is not the most intuitive place to look around in, so be patient.

Enjoy the reader! and don't forget the wealth of books which have been made ready on the subforum here, ready for downloading and reading, free!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know of the free books. But I need to use up my credit before it expires.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
LOL, why buy? Check the Uploads forum. There's TONS of good books in there!
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Okay, JSWolf, I like mostly SciFi and Fantasy genre's myself, so salt to taste:

I can recommend the books they have by Michael Stackpole, if you like fantasy. I haven't read any of his Mechwarrior offerings, and they do have a couple of his Star Wars books, which are what got me reading his others, as I recall.

Anne McCaffrey is a favorite of mine.

Elizabeth Moon has a few titles in Connect.

Thomas Harlan's Wasteland of Flint is an intriguing concept, though I found his style a bit dry.

Orson Scott Card's Enchantment and Hart's Hope are good, especially the former.

Okay, that's about all I've got off the top of my head, and I need to run off now, but that's a good few for you to consider, I s'pose.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Check out the Book Recommendations forum here. There are some recs in there.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:50 AM   #7
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
If you like Star Wars, they have the New Jedi Order: Joiner King trilogy in a set that you can pick up pretty cheap. I also chose Stone Maiden, by an author I never heard, since it was cheap; turned out to be a pretty good fantasy novel. Oh yeah, one more set you can pick up if you like fantasy; His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pulman, is great too! There's actually a movie in the works based off of the first in the series, The Golden Compass.

Whatever you get, I'm sure you'll find something you like and best of all you have nothing to lose, since it's free.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
I still have my $50 credit with the Sony Connect store. What books should I purchase? I'm going to be looking this weekend to see what I want. But any recommendations would be good. Thanks!
If you like non-fiction, I can highly recommend 1491 by Charles C. Mann, I enjoyed Evolution by Edward J. Larson as a good layman's summary, and The Wisdom of Crowds by James Suriewicki had some interesting elements to it, though it was a bit of a slow starter for me.
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

I bought the Frank McCourt bundle (Angela's Ashes and 'Tis). Its pretty good.
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
beelzebozo
beelzebozo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
This is what I got:
World War Z by Max Brooks
Freakonomics (rev ed) by Steven D. Levitt
God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens
unSpun by Brooks Jackson
beelzebozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I downloaded the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. Fantasy in the tradition of Tolkien. Excellent writing. Hardly any 'horror' in these books. I've been intending to buy them at Borders but the 18 to 35 dollare price tags have held me back. I got em for around 5 to 7 bucks each with free credit.

Reading them now.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White
I downloaded the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. Fantasy in the tradition of Tolkien. Excellent writing. Hardly any 'horror' in these books. I've been intending to buy them at Borders but the 18 to 35 dollare price tags have held me back. I got em for around 5 to 7 bucks each with free credit.

Reading them now.
I've read books 1 & 2. Quite good. Have to get my *ss in gear and get onto #3. But that means reading *GASP!* a paper book!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #13
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Thats a negatory my friend. All 7 books are on the connect sony site! I've got them all on my reader! If you have free money from your 50 bucks left go get em!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:06 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White
Thats a negatory my friend. All 7 books are on the connect sony site! I've got them all on my reader! If you have free money from your 50 bucks left go get em!
I know this is a sticky question.. What does everyone here think if I was to download the Dark Tower books and format thema nd put them on my Reader since I do own the paperback editions? I cannot justify buying the ebooks when I already have the paperbacks. my $50 credit is going to books I do not have in any form.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hey, I just noticed they have a Dean Koontz book on the Connect front page. I don't read him personally, but I know a lot of others enjoy his work, and I don't think they've had any from him before this.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote