Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
dear dogma
dear dogma began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs600
My new Sony PRS600 lasted two days, now it won't power up.

Yes, it was charged!!! It worked fine for the first two days then simply would not power up. I returned it and have a store credit. I was so close to buying another as I thought it was the best out there for my needs. I'm willing to consider that the technical problem was an exception and the product as a rule should be reliable given the manufacturer. However, here's what's holding me back.....

In my short time experimenting with it I found that taking handwritten notes was a bit glitchy... not only is the space to write on the 6" screen fairly small, the stylus is hard to write small ledgibly with. I'd much prefer to handwrite notes than use text. Ideally I'd like to be able to be able to have my handwitten notes converted to text by magically pressing a button. One small problem... when I take notes by hand... I HAVE A TENDANCY TO YELL THEM DOWN If you know what I mean.

I would be willing to go to a larger screen, I'm used to carrying big books anyway so while pocket size sound tempting, I'll sacrifice that for easier handwritten notes.

Your recommendations on whether I should wait for next generation PRS900 or switch to the Illiad would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO... Come to think of it how far away are we from voice recognition note taking on your e-book reader?? Does it exist???

Peace; DD
dear dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dear dogma View Post
Yes, it was charged!!! It worked fine for the first two days then simply would not power up. I returned it and have a store credit. I was so close to buying another as I thought it was the best out there for my needs. I'm willing to consider that the technical problem was an exception and the product as a rule should be reliable given the manufacturer. However, here's what's holding me back.....

In my short time experimenting with it I found that taking handwritten notes was a bit glitchy... not only is the space to write on the 6" screen fairly small, the stylus is hard to write small ledgibly with. I'd much prefer to handwrite notes than use text. Ideally I'd like to be able to be able to have my handwitten notes converted to text by magically pressing a button. One small problem... when I take notes by hand... I HAVE A TENDANCY TO YELL THEM DOWN If you know what I mean.

I would be willing to go to a larger screen, I'm used to carrying big books anyway so while pocket size sound tempting, I'll sacrifice that for easier handwritten notes.

Your recommendations on whether I should wait for next generation PRS900 or switch to the Illiad would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO... Come to think of it how far away are we from voice recognition note taking on your e-book reader?? Does it exist???

Peace; DD
In my opinion, iRex iLiad and 1000S are preferable to all Sony devices for jotting down notes.
They use a WACOM tablet, thus not being touch sensitive. Meaning, you can rest your hand on the screen (which is the natural writing position) without distracting the unit.
Still, all those units are a compromise. Tablet PCs always will be way faster, precise and convenient.

I haven't seen it in action. But you may want to consider Hanvon N518. They claim handwriting recognition on the unit itself. It's a 5" eInk unit with the usual features and roughly on Sony's price level.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
dear dogma
dear dogma began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs600
Thanks mgmueller, I checked out the Hanvon site and if what they claim about there reader is true, it should be way better for me than the Sony. When you suggest that a tablet PC will be faster, precise and convenient are you sayng that in regards to the handriting feature on tablet PC exceeds the quality of the Illiad or Hanvon?

I'm asking again if voice recognition technology exists for note taking on e-books yet? Maybe I'll post it as a question in another forum category...not getting much action here.

Peace; DD
dear dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dear dogma View Post
I'm asking again if voice recognition technology exists for note taking on e-books yet?
Not at the moment unless you go the netbook/tablet route...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Maybe you could use a Palm or other handheld when you wanna take notes?
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert