Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
free: The Patriot Witch by C.C. Finlay (pdf version only)

Free through May 2009

Before all the PDF haters come in: I KNOW. But it's still free, and some people have good luck with converting the PDF's.

link

Description from Amazon:
This spellbinding historical fantasy, first of a series, takes Proctor Brown, ready minuteman and reluctant witch, through the opening battles of the American Revolution. Caught between the demands of a loyalist girlfriend and the needs of his aged parents, Proctor is eager to join the American cause and put his hidden abilities to good use. As he learns more about witchcraft, he finds it employed by both rebels and Royal Marines, and he struggles to master his talents without being exposed. Finlay (The Prodigal Troll) provides enough well-researched minutiae of daily life in colonial America to make this a fine historical novel, while offering a magic-tinged view of the happenings at Lexington, Concord and Bunker Hill that impressively restores suspense and uncertainty to long-settled events.

Last edited by queentess; 05-22-2009 at 01:31 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It was free for ages at Sony, or maybe $1. Probably still is. I got all 3 in the series, in fact, during a sale.

Spoiler:
I tried twice to read it, but just never could get into it. When they talk the Brits into letting them cross lines into Boston, that was my last straw with it. In what war would something like that be credible?

I'm clearly in the minority, as it has gotten a lot of good reviews.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's showing up as $7.19 on Sony and $6.39 on Kindle right now. I guess the author has a sequel coming out soon and this is the promotion for it.

Check out the author's interview with John Scalzi. I'm not sure this book is for me, but it's an intriguing idea. If I can get the PDF to convert properly I'll check it out.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
It was free for ages at Sony, or maybe $1. Probably still is. I got all 3 in the series, in fact, during a sale.
Are you thinking of the same series? The second book hits stores this week and the third comes out in June.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Are you thinking of the same series? The second book hits stores this week and the third comes out in June.
Oops! Edited on the grounds that I might incriminate myself!

Last edited by DixieGal; 05-22-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
I'm clearly in the minority, as it has gotten a lot of good reviews.
I got the giggles about how the author went to enormous trouble to set up the visual from Willard's "Spirit of '76"...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I got the giggles about how the author went to enormous trouble to set up the visual from Willard's "Spirit of '76"...
OMG! On purpose, do you suppose?
Old 05-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
You just made it sound even more unappealing than it already did...!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
OMG! On purpose, do you suppose?
Hard to see how it could've been accidental...IIRC he seemed to have worked pretty hard to invent three minor characters with the right accessories and get them together in one spot...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Free through May 2009

Before all the PDF haters come in: I KNOW. But it's still free, and some people have good luck with converting the PDF's.
I used mobipocket creator to do the conversion and did my customary search & replaces on the html, and then a spell check which caught a fair number of words with spaces between them like "col o nel" and "par tic u lar." Once I fixed those the text was pretty clean.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote