Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
Arcticnick
ArcticNick
Arcticnick began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505/SC
What design changes would you make to the 505?

I love my 505 to bits. I think overall that it is brilliantly designed but there are a couple of changes I would make.
The number buttons, 1-10, along the right edge get in the way somewhat whilst holding it. I use the buttons to navigate the menu so rarely compared to the time spent holding the device whilst reading with it that I wonder if a simple scroll button would have been better for navigating the menu.
The edges are quite sharp too. I think the design would benefit if they were rounded off a bit. It would make it much more comfortable to hold.
Also many people have expressed their disappointment over how the plastic lugs, which connect the 505 to the cover, break very easily. Is it to much to hope that Sony would find a more durable plastic?
Overall it is a great machine, let down by some simple oversights.
Sony! If you are reading this please note these suggestions for your next model.
Arcticnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
Tracey
Connoisseur
Tracey is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Given the choice there would be just one small change for me; i would like the page turn buttons on the right hand side to be lower down.
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
Satans Puppet
Enthusiast
Satans Puppet doesn't litterSatans Puppet doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PR(whusit)505
I'd like the page turn buttons on the right to be higher up LOL

Wish the colour eink screens were availilable too

But I would like the screen to be slightly larger, side I always need to zoom in on the standard page layout to get the text to regular book size
Satans Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
The ergonomics of this device are so good that I when it eventually comes time to upgrade, it is going to be hard to beat them.

Initially though I was unhappy with the page turning--I could not find anything that suited me. Then I used PRS Customiser to set the big round button (bottom right) to page forward--this is the most common action and now I have it set to the easiest button to press, which is great!

I just hope the next device I get will have a large, dedicated page turn button. It seems obvious to me (I'm not a fan of touch screens).
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 AM   #5
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
About the only design change that I can think of is a decrease of width by as little as 2mm, so that it fits into my pockets.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
Tracey
Connoisseur

[QUOTE=ShellShock;426571]
Initially though I was unhappy with the page turning--I could not find anything that suited me. Then I used PRS Customiser to set the big round button (bottom right) to page forward--this is the most common action and now I have it set to the easiest button to press, which is great!

Hi ShellShock, sorry to digress but how did you do this please? Just searched "PRS Customiser" and only listing with that title is in french. Can you also advise if the change allows you to use this button to page back as well please?

Thanks,

Tracey
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #7
Tracey
Connoisseur

I have partially answered my own question as i have now found "customiser" with a "z". Completely overlooked the fact that the developer was likely to be one of our friends from the USA!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
I also would like the page turn buttons on the right side to be placed higher. Or perhaps if they just made the page forward button a little longer it would be easier for me to reach. I hold the book near the top, and it's a bit of a reach to press the next page button without taking my right hand off the reader.

I wouldn't mind if they added a couple of extra font sizes. I usually can read the smallest size font with most books - especially now that I have the lighted case to help out these old eyes. Sometimes I have a book or a pdf file that is a strain to see with the smallest font, but the medium font is too big. If we had smallest, smaller, medium, bigger, biggest fonts, it would help.

I do find the number buttons a bit of a problem. I'm always accidentally pressing one. Luckily, I finally realized I could just press the menu key to clear out the page selection I accidentally started. I think they should move them to the left side, near the spine of the cover. They would still line up nicely with the menu options, but they wouldn't be so easily hit when you're holding the reader.

Not a deal breaker, but I wish they'd make it easier to get to the "home" menu without having to back your way out through multiple layers. Sometimes I do want the book menu, but sometimes I want to go all the way out to the first menu.

All in all, I love my reader, and I can think of few things I'd change about its physical form.

Edited to add: One other thing I'd like - I want the time displayed in the status bar. I know it would only update when I changed the page, and I don't have a problem with that. That's still better than having to navigate your way out to the main menu and then going into settings to see the time. I know that there is a customizer that will give me the time, but I don't want to use that to change my reader. I want Sony to give it to me!

Last edited by JanetCinNC; 04-13-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: add new option
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
Not a deal breaker, but I wish they'd make it easier to get to the "home" menu without having to back your way out through multiple layers. Sometimes I do want the book menu, but sometimes I want to go all the way out to the first menu.
Hold down the menu button for 2-3 seconds and it will take you back to the home screen.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Hold down the menu button for 2-3 seconds and it will take you back to the home screen.
Thanks, grooks!
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Thanks for the tip.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I love my 505. I would like a built in dictionary. If they are going to keep the mp3 player, I'd like it to work a bit better-- have an off switch, etc.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think the only thing would be the dictionary. I'm starting to wish I had one now.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satans Puppet View Post
I'd like the page turn buttons on the right to be higher up LOL
I would go for slightly higher up as well.

I would put page turn on the left as well for left handed people, change the processor to a faster processor, larger flexible screen, make the software support plugins so others can add in more eBook formats to read, a detachable keyboard, true folders, dictionary support, true font family support, and more internal ram.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I like the way it is designed now. I prefer the PRS505 design to the PRS700 design. The only changes I would like to see are on the software side of things:
1. A dictionary. - I'm very surprised we haven't seen one yet.
2. Collections - More functionality for adding/deleting/moving collections on the reader istself.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote