Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Weeeell, they're not technically part of Baen, they just organized themselves on Baen's forum, since they were all hanging out there anyway.

Their website is here, and they have an MR thread with some discussion of their reader here.
On release of our version the ebook reader software will support ebooks in the following formats: RTF, HTML, PDF and PRC (Mobipocket) No DRM will be built into the software

That puppy if it comes out with the specs listed is going to tank. I'm sorry, but in this day and age to succeed, you need some DRM format that you are able to get books for. But then The Cybook might have DRM MobiPocket support. So it might do ok.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:46 AM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I must admit that, having read that web site, I am a little puzzled. What they seem to be describing is a standard CyBook (albeit in white rather than black) with the ability to handle DRM-protected Mobipocket files removed from it. Why someone would wish to buy a machine that will do less than the original is something I don't really understand at all!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #78
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
We Baen readers get our books from Baen without DRM. :-)
Add Project Gutenberg to that and you have more books to read than your lifespan allows.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
We Baen readers get our books from Baen without DRM. :-)
Add Project Gutenberg to that and you have more books to read than your lifespan allows.
I agree with you. The question remains, though, why someone would specifically commission a CyBook variant which does less than the standard machine!
Old 06-24-2007, 08:29 AM   #80
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Because we requested it? I am also not sure if it is the Mobipocket Reader. Only the unencrypted Mobipocket format in Palm compression can be read by other readers.
Advert
Old 06-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #81
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I get the impression that it's kind of a deliberate statement of opposition to DRM, guys.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I get the impression that it's kind of a deliberate statement of opposition to DRM, guys.
That's what it is from what I gather. But also, from what I gather, it was meant to be something made just for the people on the pre-order list and not a commercially available product. So the people purchasing it would know what they are getting before they get it. But think it's a moot point now with the Cybook on the way. I know we do not support DRM, but without out, a regular non-techie person might not be able to use it very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:05 AM   #83
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Guys,

While NAEB does not support the proliferation of DRM'd ebooks - or DRM in general - it is clear that to not support *some* DRM-encrypted ebook format would exclude many current ebooks from the NAEB device. I cannot say whether a specific DRM-encrypted format will be included, but I believe I can - without breaking any NDA agreements - state that we at NAEB will *not* insist upon 'dumbing down' our version from the standard version. Should Bookeen negotiate deals with the major ebook suppliers to allow for one or more of the encrypted formats to be read by the latest model, our version will be capable of reading same. If *I* were part of Bookeen, I'd want to negotiate such inclusion.

Rather, what NAEB is pressing for is the ability of the NAEB reader to support as wide a range of non-DRM ebook formats as possible to allow for people to not have to convert ebooks in their favorite non-DRM format to a 'limited few' on the NAEB reader. Will we support them all right now? No. But we *are* working on it.

Look, I use both Microsoft Reader and eReader Pro on my x51v. And I get tired of having to 'unlock' my ebooks purchased from eReader each time I install them on my Compaq laptop, my HP desktop and my x51v. And let's not even *think* about discussing the hassle of keeping my MS Reader ebooks straight - I made the mistake of changing computers about a year ago and in the process, I lost my Microsoft Passport information - and couldn't recover that, not for several months anyway, which meant I ended up creating and using a second login to buy several dozen 'secure' .LIT ebooks - so now I have *two* sets of 'secure' ebooks and I'm constantly having to, when I re-read them, re-login under the 'correct' Passport account to 'verify' I yam who I yam! I'm so disgusted with MS Reader and Passport I could spit!

It is bad enough that I must pander to Mobipocket, eReader and Microsoft in order to read the 'secure' ebooks *I* purchased; I won't support creating a new 'secure' format. I'm quite sure others are of the same mindset.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's what it is from what I gather. But also, from what I gather, it was meant to be something made just for the people on the pre-order list and not a commercially available product. So the people purchasing it would know what they are getting before they get it. But think it's a moot point now with the Cybook on the way. I know we do not support DRM, but without out, a regular non-techie person might not be able to use it very well.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification, Derek - that all makes excellent sense. When I read the "no DRM" part of the spec on the web site I thought that you meant that the machine would specifically not read any DRM-protected books. Your explanation that it simply means that the machine will not introduce "yet another" DRM format makes a lot more sense.

As a big Baen fan myself (I've bought every "Webscription" since the service began) I completely support such sentiments.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #85
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Bookeen has not explicitly said they will support DRM, but they have a picture on their website of the Cybook reading the Da Vinci Code. They can hardly claim ignorance of copyright laws, so they must be intending to support some DRM format (presumably MobiPocket).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #86
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I'd *like* to see, would be for someone, *ANYONE*, to develop a black-box Linux open-source replacement for the litgen.dll that is the core of the Microsoft Reader application - so that I could also read - without having to 'break it out' - any of my 'secure' .LIT ebooks on an eInk device. Anyone out there up to the task? NAEB would buy such an application.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Derek - that all makes excellent sense. When I read the "no DRM" part of the spec on the web site I thought that you meant that the machine would specifically not read any DRM-protected books. Your explanation that it simply means that the machine will not introduce "yet another" DRM format makes a lot more sense.

As a big Baen fan myself (I've bought every "Webscription" since the service began) I completely support such sentiments.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #87
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

I am not sure this can be done without breaking the DMCA and probably some patents of MS. That the LIT encryption has been hacked does not mean it is legal to create a book in LIT encryption. Unfortunately even LIT books without DRM are encrypted.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #88
delphidb96
Wizard

Robert,

I'd let the ebook publishers worry about creating .LIT versions of the ebooks. Although, I have a copy of WordRMR added onto my copy of Word 2k2 and I can use it - legally - to turn any of my text, Word DOC or RTF files into LIT files. I just can't *sell* (or give) them to others.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
I am not sure this can be done without breaking the DMCA and probably some patents of MS. That the LIT encryption has been hacked does not mean it is legal to create a book in LIT encryption. Unfortunately even LIT books without DRM are encrypted.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #89
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Bookeen has not explicitly said they will support DRM, but they have a picture on their website of the Cybook reading the Da Vinci Code. They can hardly claim ignorance of copyright laws, so they must be intending to support some DRM format (presumably MobiPocket).
They also have an e-book store that sells books in secure Mobipocket format, which I'd guess would make it even more likely that they intend to support DRMed Mobi files.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:21 AM   #90
Michael
Michael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook
[Bookeen] Official answer for battery and some general information

Michael's post contained such interesting information that I've copied it to a new thread. Please post responses there.

Thanks!

Michael is offline   Reply With Quote