Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
macnab69
Zealot
macnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 4
Adjustable font-size for contents?

The only experience I have with eReaders is Kindle and Kobo. For people with sight problems you can set the font-size to read, but not on the contents page, which means they are unreadable to people with real problems.

Are there any which have the ability to adjust the font-size of the contents page?
macnab69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Most ePub come with two ToC. The NCX (the one you cannot change the font size) and an internal list of links ToC (that you can adjust the size).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #3
macnab69
Zealot
macnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toys

Sorry, my wording was incorrect. I am talking about the eReader's contents. Not the book's. ie The list of books in the eReader. The Home page.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
I believe that someone created a hack of sorts for the Kobo Touch. Not sure of the exact details, but here is a link to the thread :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219158
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
macnab69
Zealot

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
That is something I didn't really like about the K4. The Kindle Paperwhite and the Nook Simple Touch both show pictures of the book covers, and I find them easier to file through than to read the list, which is a pretty small font. But the photos are small enough that you can't really easily read the type on them. It's more about recognizing the book cover. The Nook has the pic of the book cover and then the title and author listed below each pic, but again the font is pretty small.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
My experience with the Sony line of readers is the same as macnab69's...text too small to read or thumbnails that are fine if you remember what the cover looks like. Unfortunately, the only solution I know of is the handy dandy magnifying glass. There are at least 2 dozen scattered around my house and I can never find one when I need it.

On the T1 I usually wind up using the search feature to find the book I'm looking for. Still need the magnifying glass, but the list is shorter.
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
ferretman
ferretman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
This problem of only the book text being adjustable is also a problem for me.
My wife, with very little sight, can manage to read a book on her Kindle Paperwhite only when it is set to the largest text setting.
This is fine, but once she needs a new book, get a warning message, or for any other reason gets stuck with small text she has to stop, until I can sort/reset it for her.
It's a problem I've been unable to overcome.
ferretman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
macnab69
Zealot

The long and the short of it is that not one single manufacturer has though of that problem.

I understand that layout of the page is a problem with changing font size, but at least they could have 2 or three modes - normal, medium and large, say - with differing layouts.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Much as I'm hooked on e-ink, this might be one situation where it's worth also considering an accessible tablet option, at least until the e-ink manufacturers get on board with real accessibility options.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnab69 View Post
The long and the short of it is that not one single manufacturer has though of that problem.

I understand that layout of the page is a problem with changing font size, but at least they could have 2 or three modes - normal, medium and large, say - with differing layouts.
That is something that would be worth sending a feedback email to Amazon about, if enough people email them, they might have a look at it?

kindle-feedback@amazon.com
kindle-feedback@amazon.co.uk
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
macnab69
Zealot

Hmm. Asking for folders didn't work. And there have been enough requests over a long time for that.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True, but folders are really just a personal preference and would involve changing the whole set-up of the Kindle just to suit some peoples wishes. Improving the 'accessibility' of their ereaders is something that should appeal a little more?

The only question is how easy or difficult it is to implement. It may be too difficult and why it's never been done before now.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
macnab69
Zealot

Quote:
The only question is how easy or difficult it is to implement. It may be too difficult and why it's never been done before now.
There is a hack for the Kobo Touch that works. I suspect that it is the qusteion of layout that is the problem. As a programmer, I know that all that is really needed is a HomePage mode stored value, and then 2 or 3 different sections of code to draw the home page.

I will ask them nicely.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Good luck, I've been asking them nicely about page turn buttons and improving the manage your Kindle pages, but apart from a few nice emails thanking me for my feedback and promising to consider my suggestions, no luck. I'd hope being able to increase the font size on menus would be more of a useful issue for them to have a look at though.