Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Question How would you change the PRS-300?

I would add actual page turning buttons on the left side of the device, and add a MicroSD card slot along with an M2 (proprietary version of the MSD).

I don't know enough about formats to want a plausible change....

(Answer to obligatory "why do you care? You have a nook" post. I just want to have an equal contribution to the device forums.)
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Well, sticking with feasible changes that could be made to the firmware only (since obviously you can't change the hardware-- and new hardware with new features would no longer be a 300 but a new model) I'd love to see the 300 be updated to directly all available ebook formats and HTML. And the ability to directly read .CBR/.CBZ files. And to auto-crop PDF margins (like, I believe, the 900 can do.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post
I would add actual page turning buttons on the left side of the device, and add a MicroSD card slot along with an M2 (proprietary version of the MSD).
The changes you mention sound very similar to a Sony 505. Page turn buttons on middle of right side and page turn buttons on lower left side. Also has SD and Pro Duo card slots.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
kpfeifle
Enthusiast
kpfeifle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300- Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I would add a dictionary. I would gladly pay an extra fee to get this on the 300. I think it could be done with a software mod...
kpfeifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Plus one to the extra page turning buttons, but as others said....impossible. Other than that just firmware to allow it to read all the major formats. .... but really, I like it pretty much the way it is, simple and small form factor....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
crovakiet
crovakiet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS300SC
Extra page turning buttons would be nice and probably possible given a firmware upgrade to turn specific right hand side buttons into page turners (would have to sacrifice being able to go to a specific page such as 88, 78 etc lol). A dictionary function would be impossible with a firmware/software upgrade (you would either need a hard/soft keyboard, touchscreen/tactile screen with highlight function, or a reader able to go directly into the text to highlight with arrow keys for a dictionary function...none of which the 300 has capabilities for) I could care less about a memory expansion slot, plus I am pretty sure battery life is shortened with external memory as it takes more juice to read from it. Also updated firmware such that the 300 can do whatever the current renderer for epubs can do i.e. fully justified epubs etc.

Last edited by crovakiet; 12-28-2009 at 01:43 PM.
crovakiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Sorry guys, this would've made more sense if I had access to more demo units... Other then the Sony readers.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crovakiet View Post
Extra page turning buttons would be nice and probably possible given a firmware upgrade to turn specific right hand side buttons into page turners (would have to sacrifice being able to go to a specific page such as 88, 78 etc lol). A dictionary function would be impossible with a firmware/software upgrade (you would either need a hard/soft keyboard, touchscreen/tactile screen with highlight function, or a reader able to go directly into the text to highlight with arrow keys for a dictionary function...none of which the 300 has capabilities for) I could care less about a memory expansion slot, plus I am pretty sure battery life is shortened with external memory as it takes more juice to read from it. Also updated firmware such that the 300 can do whatever the current renderer for epubs can do i.e. fully justified epubs etc.
There is a hack that turns the 7/8 button to be a page turn button. I have it on my reader and it works great.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote