Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #16
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Lilly,
We only offer books for sale in ePub format, and are quickly adding PDFs from the Internet Archive. We are trying very hard to stay away from the ebook soup that is the many formats (Lit, Mobi, LRF, MS Reader, etc, etc, etc), though it often conflicts with trying to grow our title count.

When we say 'Web', we mean you can read it right in your browser.
When we say 'Mobile', we mean you can read it using our iPhone, iPod Touch, Blackberry, Palm Pre or Android application
When we say 'PDF' or 'ePub', we mean those file formats.

Here's a good example:
http://kobobooks.com/ebook/U-Is-For-...UFQ/page1.html

You can read it online, on your mobile, or get the ePub and take it where ever ePub will take you.

I hope that clarifies things.

Jordan Christensen
Product Manager, Kobo

Jordan Christensen
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #17
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Lilly,
We only offer books for sale in ePub format, and are quickly adding PDFs from the Internet Archive. We are trying very hard to stay away from the ebook soup that is the many formats (Lit, Mobi, LRF, MS Reader, etc, etc, etc), though it often conflicts with trying to grow our title count.

When we say 'Web', we mean you can read it right in your browser.
When we say 'Mobile', we mean you can read it using our iPhone, iPod Touch, Blackberry, Palm Pre or Android application
When we say 'PDF' or 'ePub', we mean those file formats.

Here's a good example:
http://kobobooks.com/ebook/U-Is-For-...UFQ/page1.html

You can read it online, on your mobile, or get the ePub and take it where ever ePub will take you.

I hope that clarifies things.

Jordan Christensen
Product Manager, Kobo

Jordan Christensen
Perfect. I was confused because sometimes it also listed ePub nexts to Web & Mobile.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #18
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Argh..the iPhone App has no way to change page forward/page back? What if we want to change hands when paging thru?

I don't get it. Stanza has been in the App Store for almost 2 years-and yet the last 4 iPhone book apps I've tried recently (Kindle, B&N, Txtr, and Kobo) all provide such rudimentary navigation controls in comparison.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It's unfortunate that all these new shops are all focusing on the store experience and not on the reading experience.

Amazon has angered a lot of customers because they do not have an open platform to all, but for those that they have opened shop to their experience is excellent. And that is why they are on ahead of the game.

While the Shortcover (Kobo) app looks very pretty it is still unusable, it's focus is cosmetic and tight integration to their store. The ebook reading experience is really bad, I've deleted the app almost as soon as I installed it.

In a not to distant future eBook stores are going to find themselves in what is known as "Commodity Hell" where the only thing that will distinguish one retailer from the other is price in service. The question is what will distinguishes Kobo from say all the other ePUB vendors? Right know Kobo has a tight integration with it's store but a very poor reading experience.

B&N, MobiPocket, and eReader/Fictionwie however has the opposite their reader is much better but their store integration is not very good. Guess which product I have installed on my phone and who I am buying from.

Kobo has a chance to capitalizing on the smartphone market and fill the void where Kobo can fill and get ahead of other companies, yet this seems to be the same old reader that was introduced earlier this year. The store integration is good enough now they need to focus on the reading experience.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #20
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Jordon, can you reassure me please about the 'takeover' from Borders? One thing I really liked about Shortcovers was that it was the only Canadian entrant. For example Fictionwise still does not have the new Coupland, which I bought from you. I feel like Fictionwise became a lot less friendly to the non-Americans after Barnes & Noble bought them, and I am worried to lose the only Canadian entrant to the e-market. Just hearing 'Borders' and that they want to brand their own device, and they are an American giant like Amazon and B&N...it worries me. Will the day ever come when a Canadian can walk into our major bookstore chain and see/touch our own ebook reader? Will the day ever come when one can load their Chapters or Indigo gift cards onto a website and buy print books and ebooks in one transaction? Is Indigo, with this rebranding, abandoning their loyal Canadian customers? Do they even understand that in the days of ridiculous, customer-harming geographical restrictions and with Canada having such an abysmal telecom system that Nook/Amazon hesitate to come here, these might be issues?

Please tell me this is not the end of the road for Canadian ebook fans. Hearing that the name 'Indigo' has been removed and the name 'Borders' has been added has me fearing the worst...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 05:13 AM   #21
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Dear Jordan.

It is very nice to see you here on Mobileread.

On page http://www.kobobooks.com/devices there is PocketBook 360 and PocketBook 301 device missing.

How do I load your books on my e-book reading e-ink device from a Linux PC?
Is it enough if I activate and/or register my device into ADE *once* on some PC with Windows, or do I have to use Windows computer every single time I want to load your DRM protected books to my reader?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #22
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Jordon, can you reassure me please about the 'takeover' from Borders?
If you check out our press release, you'll see that Indigo owns > 50% of Kobo still, so this definitely isn't a take over by Borders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Will the day ever come when a Canadian can walk into our major bookstore chain and see/touch our own ebook reader? Will the day ever come when one can load their Chapters or Indigo gift cards onto a website and buy print books and ebooks in one transaction? Is Indigo, with this rebranding, abandoning their loyal Canadian customers? Do they even understand that in the days of ridiculous, customer-harming geographical restrictions and with Canada having such an abysmal telecom system that Nook/Amazon hesitate to come here, these might be issues?
I truly believe those days are coming - some sooner than others. Heather Reisman definitely mentioned Indigo and "reading devices" in her quote in the Kobo spin out press release, which is just the start of things to come.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #23
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
On page http://www.kobobooks.com/devices there is PocketBook 360 and PocketBook 301 device missing.
Do those support ePub? Sorry, we don't test every possible device. I'll ask our team to add them if they do.

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't believe ADE supports Linux today. We are actively looking into other options, but don't have a solution for Linux users today
Old 12-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #24
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
According to the appDB from Wine ADE should work on Linux.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #25
Ham Cannon
Enthusiast
Ham Cannon doesn't litterHam Cannon doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony Reader 505, Kobo Touch, iPad 1, iPhone 4
The iPhone app really does need some work. Page turns are sluggish, there's no text search (essential, since there's no way to sync with an e-reader), changing screen brightness is a hassle (as opposed to Stanza, where you just slide your finger down the page to dim the light), you can't skip to a particular page or percentage of a book, and everything just feels slow. If the Kodo app was as good as Stanza, it would be a big selling point for the store in general.
Ham Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 AM   #26
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
Dare I dream of a day when I could use one app to read on my iPhone ::cough -stanza-::cough:: and each store could concentrate on selling books, not recreating the e-reading wheel?

I don't particularly care *which* app everyone settles on, just pick! Please, please, please, no more store specific apps!
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:39 AM   #27
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have another little nitpick with your site at:
http://www.kobobooks.com/devices

You have a typo. The correct name of company that produces EZ Reader is ASTAK
Old 12-18-2009, 02:47 AM   #28
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Do those support ePub? Sorry, we don't test every possible device. I'll ask our team to add them if they do.
They DO support the DRM protected ePubs.
Believe me, I own the device.

See this thread for proof:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64641
If you do not want to take my word for it.
Forkosigan is the only official distributor for European Union.