Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #916
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to say that I hate short stories that get released in anthologies. It means that we either have to wait for a collection or we have to buy the dammed anthologies at full price for one short story.
If an author you enjoy is publishing in an anthology, isn't there a decent possibility you might enjoy some of the other stories in the anthology, too?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #917
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Umm Side Jobs has all of the short stories you need to date. The others are just one offs for your enjoyment but have little baring on the main series at hand.
Side Jobs missed two or three stories. Now we have three new ones coming out that would cost the cost of three books to get. Not fun. Not nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #918
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
If an author you enjoy is publishing in an anthology, isn't there a decent possibility you might enjoy some of the other stories in the anthology, too?
Given that a lot of those stories are usually part of a series and if I have not read the series, then I would not enjoy them. The last short I read from an anthology had three total stories where only one interested me. The other two may as well not have been there. They are from series I have not read. So unless the other stories are part of a series I have/am reading or standalone, waste of my money.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #919
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My understanding is that many popular authors are approached by the editor and asked to write a story for an anthology.

Generally it is up to the author what he writes but sometimes a popular series story is requested.

The purpose is better sales and wider exposure for lessr known authors and one hears that popular authors will often contribute for little or no money.

Personally I like variety, but I can understand the frustration for those determined to plow through a popular series. I don't think that one loses much if anything by not reading the anthology stories and sometimes they lead to a whole book or new series by a favorite author.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #920
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
A friend just sent this to me. She said she had a hard time convincing another friend of her's that this actually happens in the books.

Spoiler:
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #921
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Love it!

Thank you for sharing, that.

Its just missing one thing......

Spoiler:
Polka Will Never Die! Where's Butters?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #922
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I've been tearing through the audiobooks. I'm almost done with Summer Knight (#5?). Grave Peril was the best so far--it would make a great movie.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #923
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Have they announced a publish date for the next book yet? They have been coming out at a fairly consistent once a year since the first book. This one is looking to be a bit longer than that.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #924
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Have they announced a publish date for the next book yet? They have been coming out at a fairly consistent once a year since the first book. This one is looking to be a bit longer than that.
It's due out sometime in January 2013. The title is Cold Days.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #925
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Has he started writing on Cold Days yet? Based on his Twitter I gather he is more working on other projects than the Dresden Files...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #926
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Has he started writing on Cold Days yet? Based on his Twitter I gather he is more working on other projects than the Dresden Files...
Yes, and as far as I know he's still going to meet his deadline in July.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #927
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Hope so! I am rereading Turn Coat now -- only a few more books to go. I will be ready for Cold Front before it is ready for me!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #928
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I assume that the deadline for turning in the finished book to the publisher? (at one time, some publishers had a 1 year turn around from turned in to in the stores.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #929
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
July? It's not due out until January 2013.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #930
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Will that be the last one? If not, do we know how many more are due?

I recently started this series, I'm currently on the second book, Fool Moon.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy