Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #16
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I'm not in the US either. Pick whatever state and school you like off the list. They neither check, nor care.

The software opens up fine once you're past that step, and works well enough with a couple of nifty features (though if you have an Intel Mac, the old B&N Reader app is actually much better at most of the more useful functions).

I should warn you that the Release Notes do say that the textbook-buying function is only available to US and Canada, if that's what you were interested in. But there are ways around that geo-restriction, too.

ETA: Hey, I just went from Zealot to Groupie with this post!
Congrats on becoming a "Groupie"...just please no removal of clothing in celebration ...not w/o proper alerts!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #17
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
For the curious, this does not open eReader format PDB files. At all. However it seems you can add your own ePubs and PDFs.
Not opening PDBs is a "feature" of the current Nook software for Windows, so I'm not surprised that that's gone too. Adding your own ePubs/PDFs is a nice addition, though.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I think it is absurd that I have to deactivate my computer's ADE account authorization. If I were Adobe, I would be having a few words with B and N about this.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #19
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
I think it is absurd that I have to deactivate my computer's ADE account authorization. If I were Adobe, I would be having a few words with B and N about this.
I was really taken aback by this as well. I have the Sony Reader Library and Adobe Digital Editions which I both use to manage digital downloads from my Public Library and to manage content on my PRS-505, both of which make use of ADE account authorization. So essentially if I use the Barnes and Noble nookStudy I'm totally screwed.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #20
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
No need to be Adobe to make complaints. People who've run into the ADE issue have been unhappy about that, when they've been able to login in the first place, that is.

Apparently it is now a known issue that an update fix is being worked upon, but someone really ought to have done their usability testing before release.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 03:14 AM   #21
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Thumbs down

Quote:
No need to be Adobe to make complaints. People who've run into the ADE issue have been unhappy about that, when they've been able to login in the first place, that is.

Apparently it is now a known issue that an update fix is being worked upon, but someone really ought to have done their usability testing before release.
Here's the official response from B&N:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ues/m-p/603383

Quote:
Re: Login Issues

Dear Valued Users, I am the Product Manager on the application and am truly sorry about the issues you are having. I've been working with our Technology team to devise a troubleshooting plan that can help each person. Below is the background of creation process that might shed some light on the issue. However, if it doesn't, please email me privately with your account information (email address and password) and we'll resolve it from there. Thank you again for your patience!

NOOKstudy requires both a BN.com and Adobe account. They can be the same or different, but must be unique (i.e. you can’t have more than one BN.com account tied to the same Adobe ID or vice-versa). Adobe does not currently permit more than one Adobe ID on a computer. So when you install NOOKstudy on your computer, the application automatically detects whether or not your machine is registered.

If we don’t detect an Adobe ID on the computer, we offer to create one for you using the same credentials as your BN.com account. In doing that, if Adobe tells us you actually DO have an Adobe ID using that same email address, we prompt you for the password. If you’ve forgotten the password, simply click the ‘Forgot Password?’ link to obtain it. Adobe will email you the password and then you can enter it. (If you change it, please close the application then re-open it so we can grab the latest information.)

If we do detect an Adobe ID on the computer, we display that ID to you in the screen (you don’t need to do anything). If you try to tie that Adobe account to a different BN.com account than the one on record, you will receive an error that the computer already has an active account and you must call customer service.

If this computer used to belong to someone else who perhaps forgot to remove the Adobe ID and you’re really stuck, here’s one last back-door trick that will help you on a PC:

1. Open the application, holding CTRL+SHIFT down while right clicking on the top right of the app.
  2. Choose ‘About NOOKstudy’.
  3. Click the ‘deactivate’ button (you’ll see your current Adobe ID email in parentheses) and confirm it is ok.
  4. Close the application.
  5. Open it again and sign in – the machine is no longer authorized.

(On a MAC, install Adobe Digital Editions and then hit Command + Shift + D to de-authorize the machine. Then close NOOKstudy and try again.).

We are certainly aware of the complexities of this process and are working towards a better solution in the future. Thanks for your patience.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
elithea
elithea began at the beginning.

Device: nook
i wish it would include a way to change (or at least grey) the color of the page, like the B&N reader app does, so reading all night on my netbook doesnt blind me. but all-in-all, i find it vastly superior to any other pc ereader app i've tried--and i prefer using my netbook to my nook when reading abed. (oh, and if only there was a way to sync one's place between the two...)

btw, i picked my alma mater from 15 years ago. B&N operates nearly all the college bookstores in the u.s. and i'm betting they're working towards a way to access course registrations and populate textbook lists in future as they do in individual college bookstores already. it would be a massive thing, but maybe that's why they want school connections, and/or data mining on hotspots for future rollouts? anyway, you're welcome to pick mine, university of south florida, if you want

Last edited by elithea; 08-07-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: get that stupid smiley outta there!
elithea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #23
elithea
elithea began at the beginning.

Device: nook
mine worked just like you say. i already had and adobe ID and it found and confirmed it. of course, i just installed all of this ebook stuff this summer so i don't have to worry much about outdated or not-updated versions of anything yet--i can understand how people who have long-time and therefore more convoluted paths/installations/versions etc. would be put off and that's too bad. but on a spanky newbie, it's working just fine, thanks.
elithea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #24
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Yes, the nook subforum here has a very useful thread where international users discuss ways to make the nook and B&N store work for them. And you'll probably like B&N's 7-day textbook trial downloads, if they've got anything you want.

Incidentally, for those who were wondering about the Free College Kick-Start kit with the NookStudy Survival Tips and the SparkCharts and the B&N Classics bonus e-books, I just had a look at the B&N BookClubs on their website, and official word is that it'll be available starting on the 6th, and there should be an email sent out with instructions.

I hope they put in some Classics that aren't part of the current rotating promo (that I also don't already have). Be nice to see how much of a collection I can make up.
I had a look at the forum, and I don't think I will be going that route. It's just not worth it going through so many hoops trying to buy a book. I was planning to use NookStudy mostly with texts and articles collected for my postgrad; I will think about alternatives if I find a book they have I'd like to buy. I think I will go to their forum and ask a question about international users because I'm fed up with the current treatment. If they don't think international users are relevant, I will uninstall the program and look for something else.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #25
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I went to the site, wasn't impressed by what I saw but the main reason I didn't down load it was they wanted me to set up an account (or otherwise wanted personal information; I don't remember which). Forget that. That's like when I call or email someplace for info on a product and and they try to to gather personal information from me then act surprised when I tell them they do not need it (are people really such sheep they give in to those demands?). If they continue to push me, I inform them they just lost a potential cutomer.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #26
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
What a waste! Every time I see a new study tool to assist teaching college courses, I get excited...
Not me so much, and I'd include all those gimmicky websites that come promoted on a sticker on the textbook, and 95% of the CDROMs that get stuck in a pocket in the back cover. So many of these "study aids" are come-ons, and an attempt to soften the blow when you look at the textbook's pricetag.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #27
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I was planning to use NookStudy mostly with texts and articles collected for my postgrad; I will think about alternatives if I find a book they have I'd like to buy. I think I will go to their forum and ask a question about international users because I'm fed up with the current treatment.
Best of luck with that. It's absurd that they not only require school/state info, but also limit it to US selections when technically parts of the NookStudy textbook program are supposed to be available to Canada, too.

It really should be an optional thing, and they should let you use the program with only a B&N account (for backing up the notes) and ADE (for authorizing any textbooks). I'm sure there are plenty of home schoolers/self-study people even in the States alone who'd find it useful and would rather not be forced to give false information about their educational institution, or lack thereof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
That's like when I call or email someplace for info on a product and and they try to to gather personal information from me then act surprised when I tell them they do not need it (are people really such sheep they give in to those demands?).
I personally just plain lie when asked for irrelevant personal info. I'm okay with giving it at the point where I actually use the service/product and it actually has some bearing on the use of said service/product, but not before, and not if it's completely superfluous to its use.

Which is how I end up having the same birthday as a number of celebrities and a snail mail address in R'lyeh.

Incidentally, it turns out that the 12 extra free B&N Classics (and I will reiterate that these are nice editions with bonus notes and essays done by university professors and the like, since someone always says you should just head straight to Gutenberg, do not pass Go, when the subject comes up) included in the NookStudy Free College Kick-Start Kit are:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass, F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and the Damned, Beowulf, Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson, The Inferno, Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass, Plato's The Republic, The Scarlet Letter, T.S. Eliot's Waste Land & Other Poems, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, Edith Wharton's Age of Innocence, and The Canterbury Tales.

They're supposed to send you the link to pick up the freebies in an email after you install and register NookStudy, but if they don't, it can be found very easily on the B&N NookStudy forum.

And they released a new build of NookStudy (for Mac users, at least) which is supposed to fix some of the login issue problems. I couldn't tell you if it worked or not, since that's not a problem I had with it in the first place.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #28
TyWilk
TyWilk began at the beginning.

Device: none
YouTube

I've been having a little trouble with the program and found a youtube video that's half decent on the subject. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjydx7_1ImU
Barnes and Noble also sells text book a lot cheaper then most bookstores
TyWilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #29
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I'm using nookStudy for a course this semester and I don't care for it. I used CourseSmart last semester and liked their software better. They both have the same basic functions, but some things, like searching and taking notes, are a little better/easier with CourseSmart. A lot of this is personal preference though, but I think next semester I will go back to CourseSmart.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote