Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
What's the likelihood of a smaller iPad with phone?

I'd like to hear educated guesses on the likelihood of such a product, possible timing and price.

I have an iPhone 3G and would like a bigger screen. I'm looking for something like the Dell Streak, with a 5-inch screen. I was ready to buy one, but I've been reading about Dell's launch delays and have grown wary.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i'd say unlikely. they already have the iphone. a larger screen would mean a larger unit. have you seen the droid X? it's huge next to an iphone.

i don't think we'll see any iOS device in a size between the iphone/ipod touch and an ipad.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Bummer. That's what I thought. The Droid X and Evo have gotten mixed reviews, from my initial skim.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

well. some people like a larger sized device. the larger screen can be easier to read, has larger objects to touch, and a larger size can be easier to hold.

the droid X scares me because of motorola's ability to brick the device if you hack at it.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
well. some people like a larger sized device. the larger screen can be easier to read, has larger objects to touch, and a larger size can be easier to hold.

the droid X scares me because of motorola's ability to brick the device if you hack at it.
I want a larger screen and don't care if I look like a doofus with a big phone. I want one with decent battery life, reliable firmware and such, though, and reviews have knocked Evo and Droid X on such. I'll check further, but wanted to know whether anything else was on the horizon that might be worth waiting for.
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I would say it is unlikely. The iPhone can't go much bigger and still fit in a pocket or be held comfortably against your ear.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Smaller iPad with phone.... Gee, that would be ... THE IPHONE!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Smaller iPad with phone.... Gee, that would be ... THE IPHONE!
Appears you overlooked that I wanted educated guesses on a phone with a bigger screen. Wasn't looking for dumb jokes that miss the point.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-27-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
The can't make the iPad fast enough and still haven't hit all countries yet. I really can't see Apple breaking up their offerings into more products for several years if ever.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #10
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I can see the potential for a smaller (1/2 size) iPad if they feel the need to compete with the regular ereader market. But I'm another one who highly doubts they'll include a phone in a future iPad, regardless of size, or upsize the iPhone instead.

Apple's phones are released in the summer, so summer 2011 is your next opportunity to see if they'll "go large" with the iPhone. Personally, I wouldn't wait that long if you're ready to upgrade now.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd really like to see such a device myself. An iPad with a 5" or 6" screen would make a great bookreader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
i don't think we'll see any iOS device in a size between the iphone/ipod touch and an ipad.
Well, rumor has it that Apple is planning a smaller iPad with a 5.6" or 7" screen. Though it won't be a phone, I guess you could always use skype on it.

A smaller iPad is what I want. Though I think an e-ink reader for reading outdoors might be nice also.

I am currently waiting to see if this rumor is true.

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/defaul...ad+oled+tablet
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
scottjl
Reader of Books

yeah, well, you know how rumors and apple goes...