Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 02:25 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Issue with Sigil and chapter titles (Heading 2)

I've been playing with Sigil doing my favourite 19th century classic Australian comedy, Dad and Dave's On Our Selection (as you do), and I think I've run across an issue with either Sigil or the calibre epub viewer:
Some the chapter headings - by which I mean text selected for Heading 2 (somewhat randomly) appear either the way they should, or as small text.
Attached Files
File Type: epub e00095.epub (106.2 KB, 438 views)
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
pezespada
pezespada began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
If you use code view you can see the chapter headings you want are as follows:

<h2 id="heading_id_9"><span xml:lang="en-GB" lang="en-GB">Chapter I.<br /></span></h2>

and the "small text" chapter headings are as follows:

<h2 id="heading_id_10"><span xml:lang="en-GB" lang="en-GB"><span class="sgc-3" xml:lang="en-GB"
lang="en-GB">Chapter II.</span><br /></span></h2>

If you delete the unnecessary code in each instance you will achieve the desired result.
pezespada is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Some the chapter headings - by which I mean text selected for Heading 2 (somewhat randomly) appear either the way they should, or as small text.
Even in Sigil these will show up as small text because you have the text in those headings wrapped in a span with a class that makes it small. So just remove the span.

Had Sigil added in those spans, that would have been a problem, but it seems you imported this epub from somewhere and those spans came with the original.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
OK, I've removed the <span>'s (working from text source) and have created the attached ePub.
There are a few things I would like to do to it but it's not too bad as-is.
I'm new to epub generation but I would have liked to:
  • Add emdashes in place of multiple en dashes
  • Change double quotes to curly double quotes
  • Re-add "PIONEERS OF AUSTRALIA" to the TOC (I inadvertently removed it)
  • Add hyperlinks to the different chapters from the table of contents
Is this sort of functionality possible for a future version of sigil?
Attached Files
File Type: epub e00095.epub (122.4 KB, 422 views)
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
OK, I've removed the <span>'s (working from text source) and have created the attached ePub.
There are a few things I would like to do to it but it's not too bad as-is.
I'm new to epub generation but I would have liked to:
  • Add emdashes in place of multiple en dashes
  • Change double quotes to curly double quotes
  • Re-add "PIONEERS OF AUSTRALIA" to the TOC (I inadvertently removed it)
  • Add hyperlinks to the different chapters from the table of contents
Is this sort of functionality possible for a future version of sigil?
1) That's a typical endeavour for Search & Replace
2) idem
3) yes, would like that, too
4) You have to do that per code view
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Re-add "PIONEERS OF AUSTRALIA" to the TOC (I inadvertently removed it)
Why would this be difficult to do? You have the "TOC items only" checkbox at the bottom of the TOC editor. Uncheck it and it will show all the headings in the file. Then just click the "Include" checkbox next to the item you want to include back in.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Why would this be difficult to do? You have the "TOC items only" checkbox at the bottom of the TOC editor. Uncheck it and it will show all the headings in the file. Then just click the "Include" checkbox next to the item you want to include back in.
Wow! So simple!

mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
I tried this and some included items are not making it to the TOC.

For some reason H1 items are not included in the TOC even when I uncheck the "TOC items only" box and click on the item checkbox to include.

Here is the HTML code:

Code:
  <h1>Part 1<br /></h1>

<p class="sgc-8">This is part one of the book</p>
  <hr class="sigilChapterBreak" />

<h2 id="heading_id_2">Chapter 1</h2>
and this is the entries in the toc.ncx file:

Code:
 <navMap>
        <navPoint id="navPoint-1" playOrder="1">
            <navLabel>
                <text>Chapter 1</text>
            </navLabel>
            <content src="text/content007.xhtml"/>
        </navPoint>
        <navPoint id="navPoint-2" playOrder="2">
            <navLabel>
                <text>Chapter 2</text>
            </navLabel>
            <content src="text/content008.xhtml"/>
        </navPoint>
and here it is with H2 instead of H1. It shows up in the TOC editor, so no need to force include.

Code:
  <h2>Part 1<br /></h2>

<p class="sgc-8">This is part one of the book</p>

<h2 id="heading_id_2">Chapter 1</h2>
Code:
<navMap>
        <navPoint id="navPoint-1" playOrder="1">
            <navLabel>
                <text>Part 1</text>
            </navLabel>
            <content src="text/content007.xhtml"/>
        </navPoint>
        <navPoint id="navPoint-2" playOrder="2">
            <navLabel>
                <text>Chapter 1</text>
            </navLabel>
            <content src="text/content008.xhtml"/>
        </navPoint>
Is this a normal? if not, let me know and I'll bug it.

Art

Last edited by artbatista; 09-01-2009 at 06:36 PM.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
I tried this and some included items are not making it to the TOC.
This should be fixed in 0.1.3 which was released a few minutes ago. Try it and report back if it resolves this.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
It appears to be fixed now. Items that are checked are included in the TOC (so far as I can see)

Art

Quote:
This should be fixed in 0.1.3 which was released a few minutes ago. Try it and report back if it resolves this.
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #11
liongabriel
liongabriel began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, and others
Sigil TOC problem

I've read a few of these posts looking and couldn't find a solution, i apologize if i missed it. I'm new to making ebooks, although I know HTML and CSS.

I am working on a client's eBook in ePub format and using Sigil, it seems to work on the Nook, and other browsers but on the iPhone in iBooks, I'm missing chapter 9 in the TOC. every other chapter is there, and I've checked the code and re-written it... i can't figure out why it's not showing up.

I saw it's touched on in this thread, but I'm using version: 0.4.2 on a macbook pro, and no luck with ch9.

here's my code on the headers:

<h1 class="story sigilNotInTOC" id="Chapter-Nine.html" xml:lang="en-US" xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"></h1>

<div style="text-align: center;">
<h1 class="title_one" id="heading_id_2">CHAPTER NINE<br /></h1>
</div>

<h2 class="Subheader" id="heading_id_3">He Didn’t Accept It Then, He Won’t Accept It Now<br /></h2>
<div>

I'd really appreciate help, I imagine this is an easy fix.

Thanks in advance!

Gabriel
liongabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by liongabriel View Post
I've read a few of these posts looking and couldn't find a solution, i apologize if i missed it. I'm new to making ebooks, although I know HTML and CSS.

I am working on a client's eBook in ePub format and using Sigil, it seems to work on the Nook, and other browsers but on the iPhone in iBooks, I'm missing chapter 9 in the TOC. every other chapter is there, and I've checked the code and re-written it... i can't figure out why it's not showing up.

I saw it's touched on in this thread, but I'm using version: 0.4.2 on a macbook pro, and no luck with ch9.

here's my code on the headers:

<h1 class="story sigilNotInTOC" id="Chapter-Nine.html" xml:lang="en-US" xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"></h1>

<h1 class="title_one" id="heading_id_2">CHAPTER NINE<br /></h1>
</div>

<h2 class="Subheader" id="heading_id_3">He Didn’t Accept It Then, He Won’t Accept It Now<br /></h2>
<div>

I'd really appreciate help, I imagine this is an easy fix.

Thanks in advance!

Gabriel
Somehow you removed the Tick mark in the TOC editor. (NB when you do that, Sigil adds a Flag (in Red, above) so the next phase does not ever use that H tag as a TOC.)
2 ways to fix.
1) remove that phrase
2) Open the TOC editor, UN-tic the "TOC items Only" box, now you can see both the Included and Hidden items.

Want to see where a particular hidden item is? Tick it, Save the TOC edit.
Now it shows in the Book Browser list.
Double-click that line item. Presto! it (the page, at least) appears in the Edit window.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #13
increase
Connoisseur
increase began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
using Sigil 0.9.13 when I click in the ebook to display the chapter table, I get my book title repeated for every chapter.

If I click on one of the headings, it goes to a different page, so the chapter path seems correct, just that every chapter description is the same.

I have a contents page which shows correct at the front of the book
increase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #14
increase
Connoisseur

I am using Sigil 0.9.13 and epub3 (upgraded from 2) when I open the chapters it shows my book title for every chapter.

If I click on a new chapter it goes to to a new section, so the path seems ok, but the chapter descriptions are all the same.

I tried generating a new TOC but it did not change the chapter description.

I have a contents page a t the front of the book which is OK
increase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #15
increase
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by increase View Post
I am using Sigil 0.9.13 and epub3 (upgraded from 2) when I open the chapters it shows my book title for every chapter.

If I click on a new chapter it goes to to a new section, so the path seems ok, but the chapter descriptions are all the same.

I tried generating a new TOC but it did not change the chapter description.

I have a contents page a t the front of the book which is OK
Here are the attachments for my contents page and the repeating chapopuppters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	content.png
Views:	180
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	176944   Click image for larger version

Name:	chapters1.png
Views:	167
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	176945