Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 01:43 AM   #61
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
As far as this device, for just reading it looks really nice. I like having WinCE on it. I'm hoping the screen is high quality with good contrast and brightness controls. The battery is kind of a disappointment, but I've dealt with that before. I guess it depends on the price for me. If it is released at $300 like most over-priced single-purpose devices these days, I'll stick with my SmartQ 7. If they get real and price it accordingly without the Kindle-greed, I'll definately pick one up.
I've just "timed" the battery on my PDA.

It's a 3.4" transflective screen, backlight on, at lowest setting. I only used it for reading, so, no wi-fi, no games. It was fully charged when I started, and it's at 31% now. I've read a total of 3,5 hours on it. If I were to turn off the backlight, I don't doubt it would be longer.

So, together with that e-ink screen I'll be getting this summer, I think it would be awesome! (e-ink for longer reading hours, JE100 for night time reading)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #62
manifestor
Connoisseur
manifestor began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I think we all need to understand there are two camps and most of us aren't going to be swayed to the other.
True.
manifestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #63
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
What I can't figure out is how you'd actually buy one of these.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #64
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
What I can't figure out is how you'd actually buy one of these.
I think it's not actually out yet... But if you do find a place...
Old 06-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #65
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think if I were a wholesaler, and I could speak the language and wanted to place an order for 1000+ units, I could probably get them. But as far as I can tell, there are no retail outlets for this yet.
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 02:57 AM   #66
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

$270 including shipping and handling from

http://www.sale4online.com

I found out it was launched officially and decided to send them an email. They responded promptly (and I excected I'd have to wait for at least a day, as there is that large time difference and I sent it in the afternoon).
Old 06-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #67
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I use an LCD device as my primary reader, and haven't found that to be true. I think you've overgeneralized your dislike of LCD screens into an invalid conclusion.
Subjective individual experiences aside... how could staring into a direct light-source not fatigue eyes over and above their normal use of looking at non-light-emitting objects?

The fact that people exist who do not mind reading on LCD screens doesn't mean that LCD (along with all other types of) screens are not suboptimal for extended use.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #68
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
$270 including shipping and handling from

http://www.sale4online.com

I found out it was launched officially and decided to send them an email. They responded promptly (and I excected I'd have to wait for at least a day, as there is that large time difference and I sent it in the afternoon).
Did Jointech respond, or the web retailer?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #69
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Did Jointech respond, or the web retailer?
Jointech.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #70
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Jointech.
Great, I have make a wiki page but some critical specifications elude me. This product description nor the downloaded manual does not provide any data as to the screen resolution. This is important to know because some devices in the 7" range have really low resolution down to 480x272 which is not particular good for eBooks these days.

In addition there is no specific eBook software mentioned in the manual or on the site although they do mention Foxit as a partner which may mean they have their PDF reader. The do mention MS office support for Excel, PowerPoint and I would presume Word DOC although it is not specifically mentioned.

I am at a loss to categorize this device without some more information. It says eBook Reader but doesn't seem to fit that mold.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #71
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suspect I figured out the screen resolution. It is probably 800 x 480 pixels based on the similar sized displays used on their laptop products. This is potentially a reasonable screen resolution although not quite as good as e-Ink.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #72
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I suspect I figured out the screen resolution. It is probably 800 x 480 pixels based on the similar sized displays used on their laptop products. This is potentially a reasonable screen resolution although not quite as good as e-Ink.
The second link I provided in post #3 of this thread had some specifications listed and the screen resolution was stated as 800x480:
Quote:
- Touch Screen
- 7" TFT LCD
- 64K Color display
- 800 X 480 pixels resolution
- Built-in Speakers
- 64MB RAM support
- With 2GB SD Card
- Replaceable & Rechargeable Nokia Battery

Specifications
- Operating System: Win CE 5.0
- Processor: 400 MHz
- Storage: Nand Flash128 MB
- RAM: 64 MB
- External Memory: TF card up to 4 GB.
- USB Ports: Host: 1 Device: 1
- Images viewer, Audio and video Player
- MS Office, MS Excel, MS Power Point, PDF etc.
- Audio: Built in Speaker/ Audio Out
- Battery: Li-ion 3.7V (1500mA)
- Dimension: 18.2cmx11.7cmx1.45cm
- Weight with Battery: 250 g.
- Battery Life: 3 to 6 hours.

Accessories

- Power Adaptor -
- Leather Case -
- USB Mini Cable -
- Ear Phone -
- Battery (1500mA) -
- User Manual -
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #73
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

thanks

Dale
Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #74
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

I bit the bullet and ordered one...

(as the BeBook Mini won't be released till August, and I want a new toy NOW!)
Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 AM   #75
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
I bit the bullet and ordered one...

(as the BeBook Mini won't be released till August, and I want a new toy NOW!)
Oh, wow, keep us updated! I want a Smart Q7 or one of these. But I'll be getting neither until around Christmas, according to Chris.