Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Abull
Abull began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why is Sigil 0.7.1 displaying all text oblique?

I've just updated to 0.7.1 from 0.6.0, mainly to get the italic text to display in "Book View" when working on epubs with embedded font sets. All the text is displayed oblique, even text that's supposed to be italic is rendered in slanted roman font rather than italic. This is with two different font families, though one doesn't have an italic font.

Correction: Italic text is being displayed in italic font, but it looks like it's rendered oblique in addition.

The epub I first opened was one created by ABBY FineReader from which I'd removed some unused fonts and cleaned with Pretty Print in Sigil 0.6.0. The original epub from FR displays correctly in "Book View" of Sigil 0.7.1 until I delete one of the unused fonts, then all the text displays oblique. All the epubs are displayed correctly in the newest Calibre(0.9.25.0) ebook-viewer.

I should add that this occurs in XP SP3.

Last edited by Abull; 04-02-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Abull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Are you sure the font-embedding is done as it should?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
Abull

They display correctly before the unused fonts are removed, and in Calibres ebook-viewer both with and without the deleted fonts. Sigil places them in the "Fonts" folder and they are listed in the content.opf. What else could I check to determine if the font-embedding is done properly?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They should be correctly defined in the stylesheet(s). The readers from both Calibre and Sigil are not good judges. If you really want to check whether the embedded fonts work, look on a reader or ADE.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
Abull

If I open the original FR produced epub with WinRAR and delete the unused fonts, extract main.css and content.opf and edit them with notepad to remove references to the deleted fonts, and then open the altered epub in Sigil with Pretty Print set to clean on opening, it displays the text correctly without slanting.

If I open the altered epub in Sigil with clean on open turned off and save with cleaning turned on it will still display slanted text for all fonts.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
Abull

I don't have ADE, and the only reader I have is a Nokia Nuron with Albite, which only uses it's own font.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
Abull

Immediately after saving a copy of main.css from inside Sigil, "book-view" reverted to displaying all the text slanted.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abull View Post
I don't have ADE, and the only reader I have is a Nokia Nuron with Albite, which only uses it's own font.
So *GET* ADE! It's a free download, and is your main tool for checking how an epub will display in real life.

It sounds as if there is a problem with the font definitions in your stylesheet. Only the italic variant is being used. If you like to make your epub file available somewhere we'll have a look at it.

As you have discovered, support for fonts on reading devices is patchy, to say the least! Are you sure you REALLY need anything beyond the standard ones? Readers are great for reading. They suck at imitating the layout of a printed page.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I agree, Something is messed up in the stylesheet.

Yo said you REMOVED the embedded fonts. How?
Deleting the Font files in the Font section is the LAST step.
First step is to adjust the font-family: x,y,z List in the selectors.
Second Place is to remove the corresponding (to the font being removed) @font definition
Last is remove the Font file itself

Leaving the first 2 intact will invoce 'fallback' rules
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Abull

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
So *GET* ADE! It's a free download, and is your main tool for checking how an epub will display in real life.
Didn't know it was free, but I don't have room to spare on my C:/ drive for yet another ever increasing iteration of the required NET framework.
Quote:
It sounds as if there is a problem with the font definitions in your stylesheet. Only the italic variant is being used. If you like to make your epub file available somewhere we'll have a look at it.
My initial observation was wrong - all the different font styles are being used where specified, it was just hard to see the difference at first glance, with all the text slanted.
Quote:
As you have discovered, support for fonts on reading devices is patchy, to say the least! Are you sure you REALLY need anything beyond the standard ones? Readers are great for reading. They suck at imitating the layout of a printed page.
I wanted to see how close I could come to the original lay-out with epub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I agree, Something is messed up in the stylesheet.

Yo said you REMOVED the embedded fonts. How?
Deleting the Font files in the Font section is the LAST step.
First step is to adjust the font-family: x,y,z List in the selectors.
Second Place is to remove the corresponding (to the font being removed) @font definition
Last is remove the Font file itself

Leaving the first 2 intact will invoce 'fallback' rules
I was removing them exactly backwards then, but I don't think that would account for the text going slanty in "Book view" when I saved a copy of the stylesheet of the epub that was hand-edited outside of Sigil.

Tried doing it in the correct order and the text is displayed slanted after the first step of removing the selector and declarations for the unused fonts in the stylesheet.

If I remove the selectors with Tools>Delete Unused Stylesheet Classes..., the text doesn't go slanted till after I delete the @font declarations which are left.

I suspect it's a bug with Sigil and not the stylesheet, but here's the original stylesheet and what's left after using the "Delete Unused Stylesheet Classes" tool. The fonts to be removed are TwCenMT-Condensed and DefaultFont as Arnhem was uninstalled from my system before saving as epub with FR to try to prevent it from being embedded.
Attached Files
File Type: txt original main.css.txt (2.5 KB, 283 views)
File Type: txt wo unused classes main.css.txt (2.1 KB, 194 views)
Old 04-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Code:
.font2 { font-size:x-small; font-family: 'Futura Condensed Light', fantasy; }
If you delete the Font file ../Fonts/FuturaCondLight-Regularcf06.ttf
the reader can't find the font (family): 'Futura Condensed Light' so it tries a fall back font, in this case a system generic; fantasy
Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Didn't know it was free, but I don't have room to spare on my C:/ drive for yet another ever increasing iteration of the required NET framework.
Make room. If you're making epubs and you care what they look like, you need ADE.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Abull

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Code:
.font2 { font-size:x-small; font-family: 'Futura Condensed Light', fantasy; }
If you delete the Font file ../Fonts/FuturaCondLight-Regularcf06.ttf
the reader can't find the font (family): 'Futura Condensed Light' so it tries a fall back font, in this case a system generic; fantasy
I haven't deleted that font file or any reference to it and the text still is slanted including that which is displayed using the 'Futura Condensed Light' font.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I haven't deleted that font file or any reference to it and the text still is slanted including that which is displayed using the 'Futura Condensed Light' font.
did you remove the RED word???
Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Toxaris
Wizard

Remove the reference to the stylesheet. See if your problem persist. If not, create a new stylesheet and gradually add stuff from the old stylesheet. You would be able to see where it goes wrong.