Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
Geekster
Geekster began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glow and MacBook Pro
Not "Movie"!!! That was to Kovid! Blasted spell check on my iPhone (sorry)
Vic
Geekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekster View Post
Not "Movie"!!! That was to Kovid! Blasted spell check on my iPhone (sorry)
Vic
Corrected it for you.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2016, 04:17 AM   #18
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo H20, iPhone 6+, Macbook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
On OS X the situation is much more complex, thanks to the use of .app bundles. First go to Preferences->Misc and select install command line tools.
In my version (Calibre 2.56.0 - German localization) there's no option "install command line tools" inside "Einstellungen > Verschiedendes".

I looked into the content of calibre.app.

"calibre.app/contents/eboob-viewer.app" exists.

I created an alias of that app and put it inside the application folder. But it's not possible to associate that alias with epub files. It is grayed.

If someone could give me a hint, I would appreciate that. Thanks.
ibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I suggest trying to create the association with ebook-viewer.app directly not an alias.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #20
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Thanks for your answer Kovid.

But you cannot choose anything in the association dialog but apps from the application folder.
Advert
Old 05-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #21
ibu
Addict

I found a "trick" to enter any path in the association dialogue: Shift+CMD+G.

I used the path "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/ebook-viewer.app".

Result: please see the screenshot.
Looks fine. But: when I open an epub the ebook-viewer starts, but is empty. The book has not been loaded.

When I try to use the path
"/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/ebook-viewer"
in the association dialogue, "ebook-viewer" is grayed.
I cannot associate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-14 um 17.36.05.png
Views:	270
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	148656  

Last edited by ibu; 05-14-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #22
ibu
Addict

Now I checked the directory "/usr/bin/".

It does not contain "ebook-viewer".

It seems, that I have to perform
Preferences->Misc > install command line tools

But how. I do not have that option, as I mentioned.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you looked at http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gene...cli-index.html

Quote:
Note

On OS X, the command line tools are inside the calibre bundle, for example, if you installed calibre in*/Applications*the command line tools are in/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/MacOS/.

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #24
ibu
Addict

@Peter
Yes, I have the command line tools in "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/MacOS/" as I wrote in #21.

But I can't use it to associate.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Then I am out of ideas, sorry.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:27 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Silly question

You did INSTALL the GUI? I believe the CLI needs some of the pieces IN PLACE, even though you do not Run the GUI
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:44 AM   #27
ibu
Addict

@theducks
What do you mean with "install" please?
I downloaded the dmg from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_osx and copied the app into the application folder.

@kovid
What do you think about #22?
What do I have to do, that ebook-viewer appears in /usr/bin?

And please, what exactly do you mean with

"Preferences > Misc > install command line tools"

@all
I'm quite new to OS X. Is there may be anyone, reading this, who uses OS X and can test, if it works for him? That would be great.

I really like the ebook-viewer and would like to associate it to epub files.

In "preferences > Misc" I can't find that. There's nothing "to install".
Old 05-15-2016, 01:52 AM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
"Preferences > Misc > install command line tools"
was removed after Apple deprecated that method of gaining root privileges.

However, you can create the symlinks manually. Or automatically, if you install calibre via homebrew cask or my standalone updater daemon here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=260255
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibu View Post
@theducks
What do you mean with "install" please?
I downloaded the dmg from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_osx and copied the app into the application folder.
If you did it the way of the instruction, you have 'installed' the app the proper Apple way (Us Linux and Windows folk run actual 'Installers' that put the various pieces in their designated places within the OS
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:39 AM   #30
ibu
Addict

@the ducks
As I mentioned there's no installer for OS X ( https://calibre-ebook.com/download_osx ).

Is there anyone with OS X who tried to solve the task I talk about? It would be so nice to be able to open ePubs with Calibre Viewer.
I really hope, there is a solution.