Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
cirerita
cirerita began at the beginning.

Device: PC
epub to pdf faulty!

Hi,

I just bought a bunch of pdf and epub ebooks. I tried to convert the epub files to pdf but the resulting pdf file was too small and weird (less pages than the original epub file and the links within the document are no longer working). IS there any good way to convert epub files to pdf?

thanks!
cirerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
cirerita

Also, I just noticed that, after the conversion, you cannot search any words in Acrobat Reader. However, if you open the SAME pdf file in ADE or Calibre, searches seem to work ok!
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I had a similar problem, the resulting PDF crashed my computer.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why on earth would you want to convert epub files to PDF?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
cirerita

Because I would need to be able to search given words in ALL the ebooks I just purchased. As far as I can see, in Adobe Digital Editions or Calibre I can search words within the document which is open, but not in the other files which are in the same directory.

In Adobe Acrobat, you can search and find items in the document which is open, but also in all the pdf files of a given directory -but Acrobat does not support epub files. I would be happy if Calibre or ADE allowed me to do the same, but I don't think that feature is implemented right now. So the only solution I can think of is converting the epub files to PDF.
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
links are not currently supported in PDF output, as for missing parts, that's strange, you should open a ticket and attach one of your epub files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
cirerita

I could live without the links, but I really the resulting pdf to be searchable. The weird thing is that I can search words in ADE or Calibre, but not in Acrobat!

I'll send you an pub file for you to see. Thanks!

Last edited by cirerita; 11-05-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Why on earth would you want to convert epub files to PDF?
I was just curious to see what the result would look like, to tell you the truth!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirerita View Post
I could live without the links, but I really the resulting pdf to be searchable. The weird thing is that I can search words in ADE or Calibre, but not in Acrobat!
calibre's viewer converts PDF files to HTML and displays the resultant HTML.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirerita View Post
Hi,

I just bought a bunch of pdf and epub ebooks. I tried to convert the epub files to pdf but the resulting pdf file was too small and weird (less pages than the original epub file and the links within the document are no longer working). IS there any good way to convert epub files to pdf?

thanks!
Do these ePub files have DRM? If so, you won't be able to convert them to PDF. You will have to strip the DRM before you can even attempt to convert to anything else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
cirerita

No, they're DRM free. I can convert them, but the conversion is not very good for some reason.