Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
iggysprint
iggysprint began at the beginning.

Device: KindleDX
Changing of font size on PDF for Kindle DX

Hi there,

Does anyone know whether the Kindle dx will allow changing of the font sizes for PDF?
iggysprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
You can't since PDF has fonts fixed and XD does not support reflow modes. However I do not know if it will have zoom options other than portrait/landscape modes...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I always thought the font size was fixed on a PDF and is fixed relative to the size of the page. Whenever I have enlarged a PDF, everything has increased in size including the PDF itself. Perhaps this has evolved and I am behind the times.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If PDF uses vectorial fonts and document is saved not as sequence of images, changing the zoom of the PDF increases/decreases the size and they do not loose quality because the size change is vectorial.

However, if PDF is saved "as graphic" a size different from 100% will decrease quality of the document.

By the way, you cannot change font size or font type. You only decrease or increase the general zoom. You will see that lines will have the same words and page the same lines.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
However I do not know if it will have zoom options other than portrait/landscape modes...
According to the User Guide, the KDX only has two PDF modes: a) portrait with margins cropped, and b) landscape with continuous pages and margins cropped. Note that in landscape mode the Kindle's screen is about as wide is a letter/A4 page. So this isn't much of a zoom, but it is at least full size.

I would have added a two-column mode where each physical page is split into 4 screens, but Amazon's thinking is obviously that simple is better and that the screen is big enough to allow this.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
According to the User Guide, the KDX only has two PDF modes: a) portrait with margins cropped, and b) landscape with continuous pages and margins cropped. Note that in landscape mode the Kindle's screen is about as wide is a letter/A4 page. So this isn't much of a zoom, but it is at least full size.

I would have added a two-column mode where each physical page is split into 4 screens, but Amazon's thinking is obviously that simple is better and that the screen is big enough to allow this.
I know. Some papers are two colums and it would be a great thing the reader could put the two columns one behind other, but AFAIK none e-reader does that. Not DR1000 and I remember iLiad had had a hack to do that but it never worked for me...
Old 06-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
askenase13
askenase13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
As I read the manual, if you move it to landscape, it will enlarge the image some. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
askenase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Once some home made apps come out, I'm sure they will allow for a larger function capasity that comes pre-built.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
iggysprint
iggysprint began at the beginning.

Device: KindleDX
Font sizes

Yeah i was thinking of purchasing the Kindle DX for my dad but kind of afraid that despite the enlarge size at landscape mode, some inherent fonts from the pdf might still be small. Also wondering whether the number of line per page would be applicable to reading pdf or is it just applicable to the ebooks bought online.
iggysprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:01 AM   #10
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I add my voice to yours: when will we get ideal support of pdf files in a reader?
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote