Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
mobi vs ereader for book with illustrations?

Fictionwise has Steinbeck's King Arthur on sale this week, and it claims to be a deluxe illustrated edition. My impression of ereader vs mobi is that all the ereader editions I've seen have highly compressed tiny images, smaller and more compressed than what I typically see with mobi files. Is this an accurate impression? This book is also available as a microsoft reader edition. Should I go with the edition with the largest file?
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Fictionwise has Steinbeck's King Arthur on sale this week, and it claims to be a deluxe illustrated edition. My impression of ereader vs mobi is that all the ereader editions I've seen have highly compressed tiny images, smaller and more compressed than what I typically see with mobi files. Is this an accurate impression? This book is also available as a microsoft reader edition. Should I go with the edition with the largest file?
Largest file is probably a good bet, although in general of those three formats LIT is most likely to have the highest resolution images.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
LIT is usually the best choice, but recent MOBI versions typically have images about as good a LIT. In this case, Amazon has a free sample for the Kindle (AZW/MOBI). Based on the 1st chapter I would not describe this as "extensively" illustrated, but some of the images are a good size. See the attached screenshots. The text image is 486x555 pixels. Note that the Kindle doubles the size of the "MERLIN" image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_Arthur1.gif
Views:	485
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	21226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_Arthur2.gif
Views:	483
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	21227   Click image for larger version

Name:	WMR_Arthur2.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	21229  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Take a look at some of the illustrated Mobi books I've created - eg the Dickens. I think you'll find that the image quality is pretty good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:47 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Mobi seems to have a limitation for image size around 63kB. Some readers support larger images, but others don't, so mobipocket recommends reducing the image size below that limit, an the mobipocket creator does this. I'd say it's likely that the mobi file has smaller images.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert