Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Those who will not meet your goal this year

What do you attribute to your not reaching your goal. I can think of a few possible reasons:

1) Overly ambitious;
2) Really did not have a good idea of what you could read in a year;
3) Some events got int the way, unforeseen events such as a family vacation where you will not be sitting with your nose to the reader screen where you thought that you might have your nose to the screen;
4) You almost got the goal right may simply need a little fine tuning;
5) An unforeseen broken reader gets in the way (happened to me, my one and a half year old kindle died on the way to work and it took me a little while to get a new one, then had to play catch up)
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
6) Did not have one
7) Gave up on it

Seriously, what's with the "goal" obsession around here?

Free-range readers unite!!
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
For me it was a combination of 1 & 3. I can't claim 2 because I've been tracking how many books I read for the past few years. However this year's goal, 50 books, was always going to be a stretch given that last year I managed 30 and the year before was 18!

I found I can maintain a level of reading that'll get to me to 50+ only if my motivation remains high and there were times when I was too tired or too fed up to feel like doing anything much more than slumping in front of the TV or PC.

Re: "free-range" reading - I never used to track these things but then having been an avid reader when I was young and realising with a shock one day that I'd only read about three books in the previous year, well I wanted to consciously change that and so I started measuring. (Plus there's a geeky part of me that likes all the numbers etc)
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
6) Did not have one
7) Gave up on it

+1

I don't know how many books I've read this year, but I'm pretty sure it's not as many as I thought it would be. I just had other things to do. For me that's a good thing!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am way past my goal for this year. I read my required reading list and I feel better for having read some things I should have read a while ago and for broadening my horizons. I'm hoping next year I can finish my required reading list which will be more difficult. I don't think I'm going to pledge a number of books or pages outside of the required list I've got for myself. It is plenty big.

My challenges will continue to be weird.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
2) Really did not have a good idea of what you could read in a year;
I am not going to reach my goal. I thought I could read 48 books, or roughly a book a week/4 books a month. Nope!

In my case, this was the first time I'd ever tracked my annual reading stats, so I had no idea how ambitious I was being.

I managed to read 37 books so far, so not too shabby. Roughly 3 books a month isn't too bad. I read lengthy tomes a la Wheel of Time or Song of Fire and Ice.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The way I see it diap, there is no point to it outside having a little fun, I can see having a little fun with attempting to hit a mark that you set yourself then at the end of the year fine tuning that mark such that the mark accurately predicts how many I am going to read. Intellectually there is no reason what so ever.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've found it interesting to record what I've read this year: 56 books read purely for pleasure; 19 properly proofed for the MR library, for a total of 75. But I had no goal, and wouldn't set one. I read and proof books purely for pleasure.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I used the challenge to nudge myself out of my reading comfort zone this year and I'm certainly glad that I did. I discovered books outside of the genre that I had been selecting from and now have some new favourites. I'm looking to continue this in the 2013 challenge, so it is definitely not a "contest" or "race" but motivation to expand and grow a little bit. Sort of the opposite of a New Year's resolution to diet.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
6) Did not have one
7) Gave up on it

#6.
Maybe those interested in Goals should take up Football. (whichever version you prefer)
Or did you mean gaol.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I got married, went on our honeymoon, got a promotion at work: in short, life got in the way. Blegh. Hoping for an uneventful year next year, I want to double my books read, at least.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I met my page count/amount of books goal, but I'm having a hard time finishing out my TBR list for 2012. I think, of the options, I'd chalk it up to "4) You almost got the goal right may simply need a little fine tuning".

I think I just underestimated the length of many of my TBR books, and so here I am with a finished page count goal but still trying to read all the titles on my list.

So yes, there will be some fine tuning in the form of checking beforehand the length of all my TBR books for 2013.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
No goals. I just read books for pleasure.
I rate what I read on Goodreads and I've finished 42 books and have 6 anthologies partially read. (I rarely read books of short stories straight through unless they're borrowed.)

On a side note I have a lifetime total of 1874 books listed as read on Goodreads. That's what I can remember. Every now and then I remember another book I've read and put it on the list.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No goals here, although I do keep a list of what I've read (been doing that for years now) just for the heck of it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A too-good-to-miss sale on Georgette Heyer novels happen to my goal.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote