Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
BreakingPoint0
BreakingPoint0 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Next Gen Sony Reader Software Inquery

Hello everyone! First post and hopefully not a duplicate! I did some searching and didn't see anything else similar.

As far as we know Sony's rumored PRS-T3 is based on Android like the previous generation of Sony Reader. As I understand some people went as far with the older models to root and install a full version of Android, giving them access to a host of apps. The apps I would be most interested in are the reading ones.\

Did anyone install Android on their previous gen hardware and try out the reading apps from Amazon, B&N, Kobo, etc? If so, how was the experience? Was it usable?

I ask not for myself, but what Sony might have in mind.

Traditionally Sony Readers are a bit more expensive. What if Sony went as far as to install the other digital book vendor's software on their device out of the box? It may not be perfect, but if it's usable why not? This could give them a huge bump over the other e-readers: want to read everything you have without need to perform conversions? Come to a Sony! Not to mention justification of a higher price.

I personally would love the above. I don't think it would hurt Sony that much because it would be like the Kobo Arc. The Arc runs full Android and has access to the other vendor's apps, but all the Kobo stuff is so ingrained in the software it's hard to forget. If they make it about the quality Sony experience people may come for the ability to use other services, and then end up using Sony's because of the fact it's everywhere on the device. The transition of devices would be extremely easy since you wouldn't have to convert everything.

Anyone else think this might be possible? It's probably a long shot but I think it would make for a compelling reason to buy one.

Sorry if it didn't make total sense! I tend to ramble a bit when I'm excited about something tech wise
BreakingPoint0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The key difference is that the Kobo Arc is a tablet whereas the T3, like it's predecessor, will be an ereader. There aren't any mainstream ereaders that allow you to install apps for 'other' devices never mind come with them already installed. So yes, it's a very long shot.

Besides, isn't the whole point of epub that you can read it on any device, so why the need for any apps (B&N/Apple excepted)? And there is no way any big competitor of Amazon is going to install an app to support their format. The ereaders from Sony, Kobo etc are open to an extent, but they still want you to use their software & their bookstores if at all possible. The only ones who don't and are the most likely to try and support everything, are those that aren't really bothered about selling you any books to go on your ereader.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Sony T1 and T2 use locked version of Android and I would guess T-3 will also be locked Android a little different to make it again hard to root for a little while.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote