Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #16
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Did anyone ever find a replacement battery for the PRS-650 through a source other than Sony?
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #17
mutabor
Enthusiast
mutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PRS-650, PRS-950
After month of searching for a replacement battery for PRS-650 I've finally found one:
http://www.batterybay.net/Battery-fo...s-prd350sl.htm

Please note, that the battery description says PRS-350. I've received and installed this battery today and can confirm that it works on PRS-650 as well.

Last edited by mutabor; 05-14-2012 at 03:47 AM.
mutabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 AM   #18
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Thanks for the research and the tip. Here's karma for you!
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutabor View Post
After month of searching for a replacement battery for PRS-650 I've finally found one:
http://www.batterybay.net/Battery-fo...s-prd350sl.htm

Please note, that the battery description says PRS-350. I've received and installed this battery today and can confirm that it works on PRS-650 as well.
That battery is 900mA while the 650 battery is 940mA. So you are going to get less time between charges then you should.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
mutabor
Enthusiast
mutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animalsmutabor is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That battery is 900mA while the 650 battery is 940mA. So you are going to get less time between charges then you should.
No, I'll get extra weeks between charges! My original 2+ years old 650's battery lasts me 1+ hour plus only. So for me the difference in the capacity doesn't matter at all.
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
About 4.25%... not exactly seriously noticeable... a working 650 with 96.75% of original battery capacity seems like a good deal compare with one that has problems of even staying charged...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #22
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Here is an actual battery made for the PRS-650. It is higher capacity than the stock battery:

http://www.newpower99.com/Battery_fo...%20prs-650.htm
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #23
mutabor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Here is an actual battery made for the PRS-650. It is higher capacity than the stock battery:

http://www.newpower99.com/Battery_fo...%20prs-650.htm
the battery from newpower99 IS NOT available. It was supposed to start shipping at the end of March. Now is May. I've spoken to the owner of newpower99 and he said that due to production issues the battery had been delayed.

Last edited by mutabor; 05-15-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #24
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Bummer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #25
Carolingian
Carolingian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch PRS-650
I am not too sure whether my problem with my PRS-650 is battery related or USB cable related. I only have 25 ebooks downloaded and rarely use my Sony. I noted that someone said to try charging the battery with a wall charger, and I may have to resort to that. I live in Australia and everything is so darn expensive here.

Up to today when I attempted to recharge using the cable, Windows would have a hissy fit telling me that my device was malfunctional, Windows did not recognise the device and also to replace the device. Today there is no response from Windows at all. I phoned the local Sony shop and the guy told me that as it was out of warranty I would probably need to buy a new one. Like others who have pondered about not being able to replace the battery themselves, the cynic inside me says that Sony would much rather sell you the newest WiFi device. So I definitely don't know what to do next.

As for usage - as already mentioned I rarely use my ereader, although I love it dearly. So I am not too sure how the battery level has dropped to two bars since I last charged it, and I haven't used it.

The [COLOR="Purple"]cold weather/hot weather[COLOR="Black"]theory is fine, but where I live it is pretty moderate, sub-tropical in fact. I NEVER leave the Sony turned on even if I know that I will be returning to it to read in half an hour.

So can anyone help me? I also noted that another contributor suggested using the USB port at the back of my PC, so I should try that. btw I have soft reset the Sony twice in the last two days - unfortunately, it has made no difference.

So in summary :

Trying to narrow down if the USB cable is faulty,
or If the battery has had it (my Sony is a bit under 2 years old).
Carolingian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
650, battery