Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hemlock and the Wizard Tower - new fantasy novel

Her name: Hemlock. Her city: hurtling through strange lands. Her past: lost to her. Her power: great and growing, but why? Her cause: liberty and freedom. Her sister: reliant on magic. Her problem: the Wizards. Her story: an epic fantasy adventure featuring brutal combat, tragic romance and momentous decisions that will determine the destinies of Hemlock and the entire City.

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and to mobile reading devices in general. I plan to purchase a Kindle and get into the "scene" very soon. In the meantime, I've completed a fantasy novel that I hope might interest some readers here.

The book (approx 133,000 words) is available from Smashwords (with 50% free preview): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/24168

In a magical city that travels through multiple dimensions, a young girl named HEMLOCK has risen from being a lowly cutpurse to discovering that she is a powerful fighter. Under the guidance of an aging freedom fighter named SAFREON, Hemlock battles to keep the peace in her run down district, while across the City the upper class Elites enjoy peace, prosperity and freedom.

The Wizard Tower looms in the center of the City, casting a long shadow over its affairs. The Wizards rule behind the scenes, dictating and controlling the use of magic. Hemlock instinctively feels that the Wizards are her enemies, but Safreon will not discuss openly opposing them, as he seeks to methodically mentor her and advance his own cryptic plans for the City.

Hemlock makes a decision to make a bold attack on the Wizard Tower alone, convinced that she can destroy or undo whatever method the Wizards are using to control and ration magic. As the novel opens, we join Hemlock just after she has infiltrated the Wizard Tower, learning what happens through a narrative interspersed with flashbacks to events leading up to the attack.

The novel was inspired by many of my favorite Fantasy/Sci-Fi authors that I read during my "formative years": Frank Herbert, Tolkien, and Michael Moorcock come to mind first. The story is a bit dark as it takes place in a world that is rife with political strife, inequities and violence.

That's all I've got for now. Thanks for reading. You can read more about me and the novel at http://www.wiztower.com . I also plan on contributing to this site as I begin to read and review other works using my Kindle (which is a pending purchase).

Last edited by bthrowsnaill; 03-01-2011 at 08:16 AM.
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I just read (and reviewed) this book. BThrowsnaill's writing is very descriptive and the plot is quite interesting! I can see where his favorite fantasy authors (such as Tolkien) have influenced his novel.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A revised version of "Hemlock and the Wizard Tower" is now available here (Smashwords link). This version includes an expanded ending featuring a new scene.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by bthrowsnaill; 11-21-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer

Hemlock and the Wizard Tower is featured on the Indie Spotlight today!
Also, it has been further revised, and I consider it to be a 2nd edition at this point.
It is now also available on Amazon. Due to Amazon's policies, the price has been raised slightly to $2.99. Here is a Smashwords coupon to give mobileread users the opportunity to purchase the book for $2.00: FC68J.

Excerpts from reviews:

"I enjoyed this story tremendously - it's filled with great detail and descriptions, contrasted wonderfully with a sweeping scope and epic adventure, painted with human and not-so-human emotional challenges and growth, all in a structure of logically evolving plots, conflicts, and resolutions."

"If you like detailed epic fantasy, this book is right up your alley."
Old 11-23-2010, 03:34 AM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Excellent! I'm guessing your revisions have done a lot for the book and now your vivid details and excellent storyline can shine through
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer

Thank you for the encouragement!
There is still a lot of detail in there, but some problematic areas have been edited down (including some redundant narrative about Hemlock's motives, etc). I changed the tense on the flashbacks to make them more readable. Also, many errors have been corrected, and there is a new scene before the ending sequence.
If anyone is curious, many of these changes were a direct result of feedback from GK's review. GK, you are the zen master of indie review feedback.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Read a bit in the sample and decided to buy it. Can't read it right away, though, have to get through my pile first. The EPUB contains the same cover image twice for some reason; if you feel perfectionist, you could shave off 70-100kb file size there.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer

Thanks! I'll take a look at the epub cover image issue immediately.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer

After considering some information that was generously shared on the Author's Corner forum, I've decided to reprice Hemlock and the Wizard Tower at $0.99. I originally went with $2.99 because that is the minimum price that Amazon allows the 70% royalty option for. It's not that I'm looking to make a killing on selling e-books here, but something in me just couldn't tolerate the seeming inequity of a mere 35% royalty. Why does Amazon deserve a 65% cut simply for hosting and delivering the electronic document? But, in the end, I would rather reach more readers than try to keep a few extra bucks out of Amazon's greedy pockets.

My recommendation: if you'd like to buy Hemlock and the Wizard Tower, please get it from Smashwords.

I am working on a sequel now, and I encourage anyone who has purchased Hemlock and the Wizard Tower at a higher price to contact me to get on a list for a free copy of the new e-book (to be provided when it comes out, of course--which could be as late as 2012 at the rate I'm going now).

The pricing change has taken immediate effect at Smashwords, but it is still percolating at Amazon.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Will purchase this the next time I take out my wallet at Smashwords. Could be a week or two - but I'll get there.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer

Thank you!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Picked it up on Smashwords today. Looking forward to reading it
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer

Awesome, Kiwimick! Thank you, and I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by bthrowsnaill; 02-06-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 AM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Now purchased. Will see how I go once I get to it in my TBR pile.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer

Thank you, Caleb!