Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have an Opus

I have one, I like it, and I'll post more tomorrow. I just wanted to post a quick note about something that I had not read elsewhere. The Opus respects the justification of the Epub file. I have some ebooks that are fully justified and some that are left justified. Both displayed correctly.

I'm really glad; I wouldn't want the Opus without a ragged right. I'm sure others feel the same about full justification.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-23-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good to hear that you have one, Nate. I know that you're a "fan" of ePub, and (occasional hangs aside), the Opus currently has the best ePub support of any device on the market. Since you will undoubtedly get a hang at some point, make sure that you know in advance that to reset the device, you hold in the power switch, and press the "page back" key until the device reboots (normally about 10s).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

widows and orphans

This is when you have one line of a paragraph by itself at the top (widow) or bottom (orphan) of the screen. This isn't something we normally care about with ebooks, but in paper books they are avoided.

The Opus is the first device (that I know of) that checks for and prevents them by moving lines from the bottom of the page to the next page. I think that's rather interesting.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-23-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
congratulations on your opus ! it's lovely, isn't it ? i'll look forward to hearing your thoughts about it.

nice to know about the widows and orphans support ; that's a really nice detail. good to know also that it will respect the alignement defined in the css ; i'm like you, i don't like automatically justified text.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Opus definitely seems to have the most refined reader software.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 03:00 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This is when you have one line of a paragraph by itself at the top (widow) or bottom (orphan) of the screen. This isn't something we normally care about with ebooks, but in paper books they are avoided.

The Opus is the first device (that I know of) that checks for and prevents them by moving lines from the bottom of the page to the next page. I think that's rather interesting.
I've just checked, and the Sony does this too. I suspect that all devices which use ADE do it.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
In principle, the behaviour could be changed with the CSS properties "widows" and "orphans", which default to 2. Has anyone tried to see if these are obeyed?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
In principle, the behaviour could be changed with the CSS properties "widows" and "orphans", which default to 2. Has anyone tried to see if these are obeyed?
I just tried it and windows and orphans do work in ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
The Cool-er does the widows and orphans thing also. It leaves you with somewhat a big space at the end of the page, but that's no biggie.

Speaking about justification, the Cool-er has a switch in the menu, to keep books fully justified or turn the justification off. I prefer fully justified and keep it that way!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I don't like it

I have 2 reasons: there's no sleep mode, and the ergonomics simply don't work for me.

As I see it, the purpose of such a small device is that it is more convenient to always have with you than a larger one. This is so you can read whenever you have a few minutes. For example, I like to read at stop lights. Because the Opus doesn't have a sleep mode, it takes too long to boot. I don't have any time to read. Without the ability to read in snatches, there is little point in picking the Opus over a device with a larger screen that costs about the same.

I don't like the menu button. Every time I use it I make a mistake. I understand that it needs to be small, but it doesn't have to be a single piece. I would prefer a design with the arrow keys as 4 separate buttons, and the enter key to the left or right. If the arrow keys were separate then I don't think my finger would slide sideways quite so much and press the wrong one.

I also don't like the placement of the page turn buttons. I can't find a way to securely hold the Opus and keep a finger near them other than to place my thumb on the screen. If my thumb is on the side of the screen then it doesn't feel like I have a safe grip on the Opus.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-23-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
As I see it, the purpose of such a small device is that it is more convenient to always have with you than a larger one. This is so you can read whenever you have a few minutes. For example, I like to read at stop lights. Because the Opus doesn't have a sleep mode, it takes too long to boot. I don't have any time to read. Without the ability to read in snatches, there is little point in picking the Opus over a device with a larger screen that costs about the same.
This is the same problem as with the Gen 3 and the solution is not to turn it off. It would be interesting if somebody could measure the battery time for the Opus when it is constantly turned on. For the Gen 3 it is around 100 hours if you just are in library mode and do not read. I am very curious to see if they have enhanced this time.

Personally I think 100 hours is much to short and does not fit my usage pattern (charge at weekends and read whenever I got some minutes free) at all.

Last edited by tompe; 09-19-2009 at 07:26 PM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
For example, I like to read at stop lights
While driving?!? Maybe you should consider a HUD-Display for your windshield ...
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
While driving?!? Maybe you should consider a HUD-Display for your windshield ...
If I am at a _stop_ light then I am not driving; I am _stopped_.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-23-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #14
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
As a matter of fact, you are driving. You're just not moving for that period of time. But you still should keep your eyes on the traffic, not on an eInk screen.

Well, people have been known shaving, dressing, applying their make-up, searching for something to eat in the glove compartment, binding their shoes - so, sure, why not reading?

But friends don't let friends read and drive, so I'm just caring about your safety. And all those innocent bystanders in Northern Virginia.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
If I am at a _stop_ light then I am not driving; I am _stopped_.
You are still in control of a running motor vehicle, and should be keeping your eyes on other traffic, not reading. If you did this in the UK, the police would throw the book at you (no pun intended ).

As far as holding it goes, I simply hold it in the palm of my hand. My thumb naturally curls around and falls on top of the "next page" button.