Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #16
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Jane Austen, Persuasion?
Right on! Your turn.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Okay, here comes the next one:

'The gold ones are Galleons,' he explained. 'Seventeen silver Sickles to a Galleon and twenty-nine Knuts to a Sickle, it's easy enough. Right, that should be enough for a couple o' terms, we'll keep the rest safe for yeh.' He turned to Griphook. 'Vault seven hundred and thirteen now, please, and can we go more slowly?'
'One speed only,' said Griphook.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #18
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The sleeper wakes?

Last edited by The Terminator; 07-18-2011 at 07:49 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #19
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I searched google. Never read that book.

Last edited by The Terminator; 07-18-2011 at 07:49 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #20
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Easy peasy japanese. It's Hagrid in the first HP book, The Philosopher's Stone. They're at the bank.
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #21
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Puuuh, finally, I've already wondered why nobody answered (and couldn't imagine it to be too difficult).

Of course you're right, James, it's your turn again!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Easy peasy japanese. It's Hagrid in the first HP book, The Philosopher's Stone. They're at the bank.
Yep or "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" depending on which side of the ocean you're on. I don't know why they came out with two different titles for it in english but they did.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #23
James_Wilde
Guru

A bit harder this one:

"I cannot think of leaving you, sir, at so late an hour, in this solitary lane, till I see you are fit to mount your horse."

He looked at me when I said this; he had hardly turned his eyes in my direction before.

"I should think you ought to be at home yourself," said he, "if you have a home in this neighbourhood: where do you come from?"

"From just below; and I am not at all afraid of being out late when it is moonlight: I will run over to Hay for you with pleasure, if you wish it: indeed, I am going there to post a letter."

"You live just below - do you mean at that house with the battlements?" pointing to xxx Hall, on which the moon cast a hoary gleam, bringing it out distinct and pale from the woods that, by contrast with the western sky, now seemed one mass of shadow.

xxx - can't make it too easy!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
A bit harder this one:

"I cannot think of leaving you, sir, at so late an hour, in this solitary lane, till I see you are fit to mount your horse."

He looked at me when I said this; he had hardly turned his eyes in my direction before.

"I should think you ought to be at home yourself," said he, "if you have a home in this neighbourhood: where do you come from?"

"From just below; and I am not at all afraid of being out late when it is moonlight: I will run over to Hay for you with pleasure, if you wish it: indeed, I am going there to post a letter."

"You live just below - do you mean at that house with the battlements?" pointing to xxx Hall, on which the moon cast a hoary gleam, bringing it out distinct and pale from the woods that, by contrast with the western sky, now seemed one mass of shadow.

xxx - can't make it too easy!

Jane Eyre...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #25
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Jane Eyre...
Well done! You're on.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled, or dead?"
Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
James_Wilde
Guru

Wait a minute! It's not that one written by a member of MR, "The Burning Sky" is it?

If not, I think I'd like a bit more than a one-liner, even if it is a good one-liner.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Wait a minute! It's not that one written by a member of MR, "The Burning Sky" is it?

If not, I think I'd like a bit more than a one-liner, even if it is a good one-liner.
Nope, not that.

More hints...

"There are a few more of you than I'm used to speaking to at one time," she went on, "and I'm afraid I'm still a bit new at making speeches, so I'll keep this simple. And—" she waved at the heavily laden tables dotted across the grass "—since I see the caterers are waiting, I'll keep it short, as well."

------------------------------------------------

"You and all your sin-filled people who worship at the shrine of sensuality have no place among God's chosen!"

-------------------------------------------------

"We've had enough people banged up in riots without their taking clubs with them, xxxx!"

"Clubs?"

Those... those aren't clubs, xxxx, they're baseball bats!"

"Baseball bats?" ... "What's a baseball bat?"

"Baseball bats are what the batter uses in a baseball game, xxxx,"

"And what," ... "might a baseball game be?"

"You mean people don't play baseball on Xxxxx, xxxx?"
Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #29
James_Wilde
Guru

"You mean people don't play baseball on Xxxxx, xxxx?"

The use of 'on' indicates that Xxxxx is an island or another world.

"And—" she waved at the heavily laden tables dotted across the grass "—since I see the caterers are waiting, I'll keep it short, as well."

This indicates to me that 'she' and xxx share so many common concepts that another world is unlikely, so Xxxxx is an island, but xxx's inability to identify a baseball bat means it's an isolated island. The reference to sin could indicate an obscure sect that has withdrawn from society.

Now I'm stumped again. Can anyone else take it from here?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

How about a hint. It's from a popular Sci-Fi series that's put out by a publisher that's quite popular with the ebook crowd.

Guess I figured someone would get it right away since the series is popular around here (guess none of it's readers are on this thread), which is why I offered the singe quote to start with.