Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
tweak4
tweak4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre problems sending to Kindle

Admittedly, I'm kind of new to Calibre, and I apologize if this was answered elsewhere (I searched and came up empty), but what is the secret to getting the "Send to Device" options enabled in Calibre?

When I first started using it with my Kindle (3), all I had to do was plug the device in, Calibre would recognize it and I would get the Send to Device button in my toolbar.
However, now when I plug it in, I get no response at all. Windows is recognizing it and mounting it correctly as a drive (which is accessible through Windows Explorer), but I'm not getting any response from Calibre at all- it's like it just isn't acknowledging that a device is connected.

Granted, I can copy books to the device by hand, but the Send to Device option was far more convenient when it worked.

Any ideas?
thanks

Last edited by tweak4; 11-03-2010 at 06:18 PM.
tweak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to Mobileread, tweak4.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
You say it worked before and does not work anymore. What has changed in the meantime (new version of Kindle firmware, Calibre etc)?
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
go to preferences->advanced->misc and click debug device detection and post the output (with your kindle connected).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
tweak4
tweak4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Actually, I managed to get it working again late last night (wow- I say it that way, and it sounds like I actually did something).
In any case, I'm using the same Kindle firmware I was previously, though I did apply some version updates to Calibre since the last time I connected the Kindle.
In reading through some other threads, I noted that Calibre seems to somehow work with/through iTunes. That made me wonder if plugging in my iPod just before the Kindle might have had any effect. So, I ejected my iPod, closed Calibre and iTunes and then restarted both. Once I connected the Kindle, everything seemed to be working. So, either having the iPod connected throws off the rest of the system, or it was all simply coincidence.
tweak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The iPod could definitely cause a problem as Calibre only shows the first supported device that it sees. However you should have been seeing Calibre displaying the fact that it thought an iDevice was connected in the message at the bottom of the Calibre window.

The best thing to do is probably to disable the Apple Device driver under Preferences->Plugins. This will stop the iPod from being seen directly by Calibre so that the Kindle is seen if both are plugged in at the same time. If you want to send books to the iPod you can still o so using the Calibre Connect to iTunes feature.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote