Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
JackLiu
JackLiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question How to read ePub files on Kindle?

Is it possible to read ePub files on Kindle?

Maybe there is a 3rd party firmware for kindle which allows read ePub files on kindle?
JackLiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Zerodime
Enthusiast
Zerodime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
No and not yet.
But you cna download "Calibre" and change ePub to something else so you can read it.
Zerodime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Actually there is some kind of hack that either allows you to read epub on the Kindle or converts the epub while on the Kindle... I forget which and the name of it....
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
You have pretty much a few choices

1) as long as it does not have encryption you can use calibre (for the sake of argument I won't mention about removing drm)

2) there is the doukan OS that can be put on kindle. Unfortunately it is only in Chinese but it does hold promise. If you can work around it (some have posted translations) it works well. I have a strong feeling once this has a decent english translation Amazon might be forced to add epub support. Just the fact that they added other languages leads me to think this is having some influence.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
JackLiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
You have pretty much a few choices

1) as long as it does not have encryption you can use calibre (for the sake of argument I won't mention about removing drm)

2) there is the doukan OS that can be put on kindle. Unfortunately it is only in Chinese but it does hold promise. If you can work around it (some have posted translations) it works well. I have a strong feeling once this has a decent english translation Amazon might be forced to add epub support. Just the fact that they added other languages leads me to think this is having some influence.
I'm using duokan OS, Which is a really really great OS.

Actually, I'm Chinese and the reason that I post this thread is I want to know if there is a OS just like doukan.

duokan is a great OS, but not a open-source software and There are some flaws in the OS.

I have found a OS named OpenInkpot. Unfortunately, it doesn't support Kindle 3 right now.

It is kind of weird that there is just one alternative OS that can runs on kindle 3. And it is developed by Chinese, this is not normal.

So, I still want to know is there a alternative OS for kindle except duokan.

Thanks.
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
FBReader is coming for the K3. It will have ePub support.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
FBReader is coming for the K3. It will have ePub support.
I still doubt this.
The FBReader page does not mention the Kindle anywhere. There is a roadmap describing the next upcoming versions here, no mentioning of Kindle there at all.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
even i don,t find it on kindle page
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well, there's ibisreader.com - you can upload non-DRM ePub and read them with Kindle's browser.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
JackLiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Well, there's ibisreader.com - you can upload non-DRM ePub and read them with Kindle's browser.
Read books in browser is not a good choice.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Zerodime
Enthusiast
Zerodime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
I wonder if it'll be possible as soon as one can program active content...
Zerodime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Calibre is a great program for converting non-drm books for your reader. I use it to covert books for both my hubby's K3 and my iPad. Five star recommendation!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote