Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Buble
Buble began at the beginning.

Device: none
Error epubcheck

Hello,
I believed my epub was correctly built but when I try to validate it with epubcheck, it tells me that all my xhtml files (every file in fact) are not declared in opf file, whereas they really are and the links are correct... Would you know why ?
After that, I started again my process to built again the epub, and know it tells me that in the ncx the error is : "hyperlink to non-standard resource 'OEBPS/PHENbook.xhtml' of type 'xhtml+xml'"
I go crazy... does anybody know the answer ? Thanks a lot for your help !!
Buble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please look over our site and post responsibly.

The General Discussion Forum is for ".....discussions about e-book reading not specific to a device, software or format."

Your post has been moved out of the General Discussion Forum and moved to.......the epub forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
These sorts of issues is why many people use Calibre's editor or Sigil to create epubs. They handle much of this sort of things themselves.

You could try downloading either and seeing what error message you get or whether Sigil corrects the error if you allow it to when you open the file.

With Sigil the file may not remain exactly the same, but it will display the same way you want it to.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Or you could post the exact error it gives you here, I will post a solution for you.
However, I do recommend Calibre just like mrmikel does.
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Buble

Hi,

Thanks for your answers. I built my ebook by myself with RJ textedit, so I didn't use Calibre or Sigil, that's why I don't understand this error : "item (OEBPS/PHEN_partA.xhtml) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file" because this file IS declared in the opf and the link is correct.Honestly I just start in creating epubs but you are great if you find the solution, it is mysterious... Please note that my epub like that doesn't want to open in Adobe reader, and Sigil doesn't want to open it neither...
Old 05-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buble View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your answers. I built my ebook by myself with RJ textedit, so I didn't use Calibre or Sigil,
Since RJ Texted is a (scriptable) text-editor and has no automation for epubs, you have probably handcoded everything yourself? - which means, there may be typing errors. Remember, that links, declarations etc. are case-sensitive, and any - and I mean ANY - typo will result in an error.

Best thing to do would be to upload a sample of the finished epub with the error, if possible, and some of the experts around here will probably be able to pinpoint the responsible culprit.

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
Since RJ Texted is a (scriptable) text-editor and has no automation for epubs, you have probably handcoded everything yourself? - which means, there may be typing errors. Remember, that links, declarations etc. are case-sensitive, and any - and I mean ANY - typo will result in an error.

Best thing to do would be to upload a sample of the finished epub with the error, if possible, and some of the experts around here will probably be able to pinpoint the responsible culprit.

Regards,

Kim
+1

Make sure the opf declartation looks something like this:
Code:
<item href="Text/Section0000.xhtml" id="Section0000.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
If things still don't work out upload the file so we can find out exactly what the problem is.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
Buble

Yes it does, unfortunately... (I didn't write the epub entirely, I used word and then I built the opf content and ncx...) How could I upload it to show you ? Sorry I am a new one on this forum. Thanks again, so much, there is obviously a reason but I go completely crazy.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
odedta
Addict

When you reply using Advanced mode, you can scroll down a bit and see "Attach files" section, it looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	276
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	123317  
Old 05-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Acrobat Reader won't open epubs, even good ones. Sigil needs to be set up so it will correct errors on input. Calibre editor doesn't require a valid epub. If you are desperate you could just paste your book sections into a new blank book in calibre editor and then use tools, table of contents to generate a valid table of contents. It, as does Sigil assumes you have marked your chapters with headings. <h1><h2><h3> etc.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buble View Post
that's why I don't understand this error : "item (OEBPS/PHEN_partA.xhtml) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file" because this file IS declared in the opf and the link is correct.
It simply can't be both. Either it's not declared, or the link is wrong. If it was declared AND correct... you wouldn't get the error. I don't say this to be mean, but so that you look closer.

The links are case sensitive as others have mentioned and the path must be exactly correct (relative to the OPF file).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:52 AM   #12
Buble

Yes, I really understand this, either the link, either it is not declared, but my file does not seem bad in that way... however I do understand that there is obligatory an error, of course ! (Adobe digital editions doesn't want to open it)
Sorry, I may be stupid but I don't find the Advanced mode to reply, so here is a wetransfer link to download my epub :
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads...6074805/2f2448
Thank you so much for your help (and sorry for my bad english...!), you save me !

Last edited by Buble; 05-26-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:53 AM   #13
odedta
Addict

Calire spits out a bunch of errors, the important one for you is the error in parsing the HTML file, that means there is something wrong with the syntax which you wrote the HTML file and that's why it doesn't show on a reader. i.e. You could have missed a quote symbol or didn't close a tag properly.

In this case:
Quote:
http-equiv=Content-Type
Is missing the quotes "", should look like this:
Quote:
http-equiv="Content-Type"
Some other attributes are missing quotes such as:
Quote:
lang=EN-GB
lang=EN-US
These are tags automatically generated by Microsoft word and are incorrect form of use when writing HTML code.

I really recommend using Calibre, there is absolutely no reason to hand code everything from scratch, even if you like to learn to old fashioned way.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:51 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If you are already using Word, consider my add-in. It will create an ePUB for you directly from Word that will work.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
Buble

Yes indeed, but when I am adding the quotes, it tells me after that "element "span" not allowed here; expected element "address", "blockquote", "del", "div", "dl", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "hr", "ins", "noscript", "ns:svg", "ol", "p", "pre", "script", "table" or "ul" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")", does it mean that there is a problem whith the head declaration of the file ? My file seems to be an xhtml like this with no xml problem (I think !).
(Thanks to everyone)