Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Jennina
Jennina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
InDesign TOC Linking to Images for EPUB

Hi, I am new at the forum, hello.

I have created an EBUP with InDesign CS6 and in the navigational TOC I have one entry called "Illustrations" that when opens up in the EPUB it shows a list fo illustrations. I would like to be able to click on each entry of the illustrations list and go directly to the image.

I have tried all sorts but nothing seems to work.

I think the question is: How to create in InDesign CS6 a navigational TOC that links to images instead of text hat works when exporting it as an EPUB.

I would appreciate suggestions

Many thanks,
mariana
Jennina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
In an ePub you cannot link directly to an image, you have to link to the place where the image appears in an HTML file.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
If the images were placed as in-line images, then you should be able to style that with a Paragraph Style and then generate the TOC based on that style.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
In other words, wrap a destination anchor (<a name="...">) around the image. I'm not sure how to do that in InDesign, mind you.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Well, basically you cut the image, place the cursor at the beginning of an empty line and paste it there (except with line spacing set to "Auto"). This inserts it as an in-line image, but it's also a paragraph in its own right. And paragraphs can be styled with Paragraph Styles. Then you generate a TOC based on that style. Hmmm... But I'm not sure InDesign works that way... Without text, that is. If you still can't find a solution, a dirty hack would be using very small text (1 px), or invisible text (maybe set to the "Paper" swatch colour?) before each image. But then again, you can always edit the code, like dgatwood suggested, in Sigil or something.

Last edited by DSpider; 01-05-2013 at 01:16 PM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Jennina
Jennina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you so much. I am going to try what you suggest. Jennina
Jennina is offline   Reply With Quote