Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you use your Kobo to buy books?
No I don’t. 33 32.67%
No I don’t but I like having the option to do so. 24 23.76%
Hell no I hate having that on my Kobo. 9 8.91%
Yes I do. 27 26.73%
I love these options to get new books. 1 0.99%
I don’t use my Kobo to buy books but I do from the website thanks to the suggestions from my Kobo. 5 4.95%
I could care less either way. 2 1.98%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Do you buy books with you Kobo?

As the title says. With all the options Kobo has added since the 2.0 update. Do you use these to purchase books with your Kobo or has it influenced you to do so?

EDIT:
So some who view this may wonder why I started this poll. Well for those who've read my past posts on this subject know my stand, for those who don't... I'm in the "Hell no, get it off my Kobo" group. Two things came to may mind 1) What if I am *gasp* wrong and 99% of the people who use Kobos (Touch/Glo/Mini) do want these options and 2) what if I am right.

Well the only way to really know is to start a poll and have people vote on it. It will by no means be definative but it will give Kobo some useful information to base the direction they are heading in on. This way, people express their opinion, I stop ranting about this in other threads and Kobo will, hopefully, make an even better UI (User Interface for those who don't know).

By the way, if you don't like any the the above options, please feel free to post your own answer. These were the only ones I could think of at the time and in no way should they limit you expressing your opinion on this subject.

Last edited by Danger; 10-06-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I like having the option, but tend to do my buying when sat at the PC.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I normally don't buy books directly from my Kobo, but do every once in a while. However, I've never bought a book as a result of their "suggestions", most of which seem completely irrelevant to my previous purchases.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
I am in the tiny minority. I use my Kobo to read (99.9% fiction), and nothing else.

I bought my eReader as an alternative to paper books. I don't use my Kobo to browse the internet, nor look at the time, nor to play sudoku, nor to preview books, nor to share information with social media networks, nor as a notepad, nor as a dictionary.

I have tried some of these features out of curiosity (and to test functionality), but not because I intend to use them regularly. I just wanted to know what my device can do, in case someone asked.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Buying books via the Kobo, as opposed to online with a computer, is extremely slow and frustrating. Not worth the trouble, and I wish they would quit bugging me with recommendations. I Never use wifi on the Kobo.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I buy books through the Kobo store, but I don't like their discovery tools beyond the simple best sellers lists. I end up going to Amazon to research books, principally for the user and pro reviews, but also it's suggestion engine seems much better. At the least Kobo should include professional book reviews on their site and on the reader, and user reviews would be nice too.

Last edited by stewacide; 10-06-2012 at 12:15 AM.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I find that I never use Kobo's site to search for books because you can't search by sorting the release date...HUGE miss in my opinion. If I have a specific book I want and a discount I want to use, I'll use the Kobo site however I usually end up on Amazon or Fantastic Fiction to look up what the latest releases are.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Nope, as EldRick says, browsing for books on the ereader is just too slow. I don't look at a cover and buy it. I want to read about it, see some reviews perhaps, see if it's a series and if so, which book of the series etc. This is much faster on the computer, and more convenient as to find out most of what I'm looking for, I have to go to other sites (Amazon, Goodreads, etc). Once I decide to buy a book, I will buy it from Kobo though, just to support them and to have the option to sync the book between devices. However, I currently just use the DRM epub version of the kepub books because I don't like the way page numbers are displayed on kepubs.

So no, I don't appreciate all the "buy me buy me" on the home screen of my Kobo Touch, but I'm not too bothered about it as I'm usually reading a book (away from the home screen), or switching books from the home screen (or the library) and then I just ignore everything I don't need.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I don't buy books with my Kobo, but I do download books I have already purchased but are not in "I'm Reading" from the on-device Kobo store. I delete books from the device when I am done with them, if I decide I want to look at something again, getting it onto the device from within the store has been great. I did this just last week when I got to book club and realized that I had deleted the book we were going to discuss.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yes, I occasionally buy books from my device when I'm in bed and away from the laptop. . Once the wifi has connected(and it can sometimes take a couple of goes) it's usually pretty quick to browse their book store and as I'm not usually looking for new releases - can't afford them unfortunately - can find plenty to interest me. Though I often get Previews first.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
I havn't voted in the poll as not sure if you are just wanting opinions from the new devices (I have a vox and use the apps), but the same options have been added to my devices for buying books

I never buy books from the device, for me I want to use the device/app for reading only

If I am after a new book I will check kobo web site first, then other stores and get from whichever is the cheapest (sadly kobo has been the most expensive recently, so if I had bought from the device I would have paid more than i could have)

suggested books I like to see on the website, but on my device I dont want them
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I tend to take a look but don't hit buy as I like to make sure I get the best price possible which allows my book budget to stretch further. My book purchases are 99.9% of the time done on my PC or laptop, it's a neat option allowing me to check if more books by author or related are out there and then without needing to get out my laptop or get onto my desktop, but like I mentioned most purchasing is done via my computer/laptop after I've checked various different shops to get the best price for the book(s) I want.

Also I find the whole browsing on the Kobo itself to be slow as when you go to next page of results you get the whole loading bar before it shows the page. There is something about that loading bar that I find annoying.

It's not just Kobo I do the same with my two year old Kindle. I've only ever purchased a couple of books direct from the device and I already knew that I couldn't get a better deal elsewhere.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
I havn't voted in the poll as not sure if you are just wanting opinions from the new devices (I have a vox and use the apps), but the same options have been added to my devices for buying books...
I was only thinking about just the Kobo eReaders Touch/Glo/Mini and hadn't considered the Vox/Arc as I really was sure what they had for options, although now that I think about it it makes sense Kobo would also have the "buy me buy me" additionals on them as well somewhere.

I know it's still quite early yet to make any postulations but I am actually a bit surprised that so far it's almost evenly split between those who do use it to buy and those who don't.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
leslie_ms
leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi, Kobo Touch, Kobo for Android
I never buy books with my Kobo. It's just too slow and hard to type. I prefer to use my laptop and download books to my device over wifi. (I never use the desktop application. It's evil. ) I did, once, buy a book with my phone when I didn't have access to my computer. It worked well and I would do it again in the same situation.

I don't find Kobo's recommendations particularly useful. Recommendations for books by my favourite authors are almost always for books that I've already read. Other recommendations usually don't appeal to me and I have never bought a book on that basis.

For what it's worth, I use Goodreads to keep track of books I've read and books I want to read, and their recommendations are even wackier!

Leslie
leslie_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
I don't use the device itself to buy books. For the most part, I don't mind the store stuff being on the device. I prefer it to be kind of hidden away though. For example, I don't mind there being a "Discover" tab on the homescreen because I don't have to click it. I don't like store book covers taking up space on my homescreen. That's annoying but not a deal breaker.

I do buy books from the Kobo website because I can never pass up a good coupon. I wish the search functions were better though.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote