Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
Jackdusty
Jackdusty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Change body text font from bld to normal

I am a newcomer to calibre, and to Kindle; at my age I leave the program languages to my grandchildren so I am requesting help.
I have mobi files that have the typeface in bold, they are otherwise OK as far as I can see.
How can I change from bold to normal using the conversion without going the debug route?
I can find nothing (that I understand) in the manual or FAQ.
Jackdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
It depends how the bold is defined in your document, there are several ways to do it. At a guess, I would think your doc is using <b> tags for bold. If so, you can use search and replace feature while doing a mobi->mobi conversion. Use this search:
Code:
</?b[^>]*>
Replace with nothing

If that doesn't work then you can probably fix it by converting the mobi->epub, fix the css in Sigil or by using Calibre's tweak epub feature, then convert back to mobi.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
As Idolse said, it depends how the bold is defined in your mobi.

You could try a Calibre mobi to mobi conversion with the following in the ExtraCSS box on the Convert - Look&Feel page:
Code:
body, div, p {font-weight: normal;}
This is a rather simplistic approach but you might be lucky and at least it's easy to try.

Caveat: You might like to save your original mobi before trying it, just in case, as Calibre will overwrite the old mobi with the new mobi.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Jackdusty

Thank you for your prompt replies.
Idolse's method left only the cover.
jackie_w's method didn't work on the two I tried, but the mobi to epub to sigil to mobi did.
A bit roundabout by it worked.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Jackdusty

jackie_w's method worked well in converting from EPUB to MOBI, except that the first paragraph in each chapter, or after a subhead in bold, stayed in bold.
Advert