Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
calibrepf
calibrepf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre Won't Load

Help. Just got a K2 and really like what Calibre could do for me. However I can't get it to run. I'm running 10.6.2 with a 13" MBP. When there is no items in the library it loads fine. Once I load anything, even a blank text file the beachball of death shows up. If I force quit and reload it comes back. Opened a ticket and was told by kovidgoyal that it's a problem with a corrupt font on my system. Hmmm. Here's the error:
12/8/09 10:30:23 AM [0x0-0x1b71b7].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[13710] Qt: internal: -108: Error ATSUMeasureTextImage text/qfontengine_mac.mm: 1097
I get in console. I tried searching my fonts in Font Book and all validated correctly. I tried clearing out the Font Cache and restarting the daemon. I also loaded up Font Doctor and searched my entire hard drive for a corrupt font. Nothing.

I really would like to get Calibre working. I have two kindles and would really like to manage my eBooks for other sources with this app. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? Thank you in advance for your advice with my problem.

Sean
calibrepf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
calibrepf

PS - I'm using the latest version of Calibre available.

-S
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I had the same problem when I switched over to Snow Leopard. It was with older versions of Calibre but as it was a Qt problem that shouldn't matter. The solution that helped me was to clean the font cache:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1393...acheclear.html
You can read my story at:
http://www.pietvanoostrum.com/ebooks...n-snow-leopard
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
calibrepf

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try that first and just tried it again now. I deleted the cache for both my user and then for all users. I also killed the Daemon and restarted the server. No luck. I get this error in Console still:

12/10/09 10:20:34 AM [0x0-0x14a14a].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[13682] Qt: internal: -108: Error ATSUMeasureTextImage text/qfontengine_mac.mm: 1097

Freakin' Quicktime is causing this I know. Just wish I knew what to do to fix the problem. I did also clear all all of Calibre's settings before I tried this again and used a free eBook as the test. No luck. EGADS!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This QT might not be Quicktime.

Qt is a cross-platform C++ application framework. Qt's primary feature
is its rich set of widgets that provide standard GUI functionality.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Then it still may be an issue with a bad font. You could try to rename the directories /Library/Fonts and ~/Library/Fonts to something different temporarily (like: put .save at the end of the name), and retry, maybe after rebooting and/or cleaning the font cache.

Last edited by pietvo; 12-10-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling error
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
calibrepf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Then it still may be an issue with a bad font. You could try to rename the directories /Library/Fonts and ~/Library/Fonts to something different temporarily (like: put .save at the end of the name), and retry, maybe after rebooting and/or cleaning the font cache.
Sure enough it was a bad font. After about 20 restarts I located the fonts that caused the issue. They're deleted now and everything is working A-OK. I appreciate everyone's help with this.

Sean