Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
FoolforBooks
FoolforBooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Connecting to Kindle -What is C doing for 8 minutes?

I have the latest build, 0.6.10, Windows XP Pro and Home, Kindle 2. Every time I connect the usb, Calibre jobs: goes to 1, the hour glass spins, and I get a ballon in the system tray that C is detecting device.

7-8 minutes later, Jobs finally goes to 0 and the glass stops spinning. During that time, if I move the mouse to the scroll bar, e.g., Calibre-not responding. Until the latest build, it wouldn't even let me close the ballon, and never came back. Now, at the end of the period, I can click and it comes back, and operates normally. I can edit metadata, and convert PDFs, add books,etc.

If I safely eject, and then reattach, the 8 minutes routine happens the second time, even though I haven't closed C in the meantime.

Both computers have same behavior.

What is it doing for 7-8minutes?

Last edited by FoolforBooks; 08-30-2009 at 05:38 PM.
FoolforBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Reading metadata from all the books on you kindle
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
FoolforBooks

What are you doing with that information? I can understand finding the space available, but I don't know why you would need the contents. If I had asked for a check and a list of books in the library but not on the Kindle, that would make sense, but I wouldn't do it very often. Do I have an option set incorrectly?

If I could do some work during the 8 minutes that would be acceptable, but not being able to move the mouse is a bit restricting. I can't even read because Calibre is holding onto my Kindle.

No one else on the Kindle forum seems to be aware of this delay. I only have 300 items (though some are very large) for a total of 700MB. Is there anything I can do to decrease this time other than moving everything off the Kindle or not using Calibre?
Old 08-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolforBooks View Post
I only have 300 items (though some are very large) for a total of 700MB.
Only?!?!
Quote:
Is there anything I can do to decrease this time other than moving everything off the Kindle or not using Calibre?
I gues that you can use Calibre without connecting your kindle, connect your Kindle when finished with Calibre and copy your files to your Kindle with drag'n'drop.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Hmm. I have over 600 titles on my 505 (OK, not a Kindle, but still the process should be similar) and it only takes Calibre a minute or two.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Hmm. I have over 600 titles on my 505 (OK, not a Kindle, but still the process should be similar) and it only takes Calibre a minute or two.
The SONY maintains a cache of metadata that calibre uses, so it doesn't have to read metadata on the SONY.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
FoolforBooks

Yeah, I'm probably at the point now where that is practical. I was doing a lot of metadata edits and sending to device. I tried making changes to all 300, hoping I could change some of the .azw ones, too. But I finished last night by doing exactly that. So now it will just be new additions to do.

I'm new to Calibre and when I tried a drag and drop directly from the Calibre library to the Kindle, it didn't work. But I probably did something wrong. I thought maybe it didn't work unless you used SEND TO DEVICE.

I was hoping I had some option set incorrectly.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Go to Preferences->Plugins->Device interface plugins, customize the kindle 2 plugin and turn off reading of metadata.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
FoolforBooks

Thank you !!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
I'm new to Calibre and when I tried a drag and drop directly from the Calibre library to the Kindle, it didn't work. But I probably did something wrong. I thought maybe it didn't work unless you used SEND TO DEVICE.
Correct, you can't drag and drop directly from the Calibre library to your Kindle.
from Calibre library: right-click on the book you want to send to your kindle,
Select: open containing folder,
In the folder: select the file and copy it to your Kindle with drag and drop.

Edit: problem solved by Kovid!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
FoolforBooks

Thanks, I've learned a lot today. And Kovid's solution worked. Connected so fast, I wasn't sure I saw the job run.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 AM   #12
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Thanks, I've learned a lot today. And Kovid's solution worked. Connected so fast, I wasn't sure I saw the job run.
Yeah, not sure why Calibre insists on slogging through the Kindle metadata when it connects. The default should be to not read meta-data. Perhaps this might be fixed in future versions. (?)

El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote