Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
ddave
Enthusiast
ddave began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony's Service Plan (is $50 worth it?)

I'm leaning towards purchase of the Sony 700 (touchscreen and PDF readability dominate, and it's readable) and I'm considering whether I should spend another $55 or $75 for their service plan. The plan that covers accidental damage seems like it would be worth it. Also, given that this is still an evolving technology suggests it might be good insurance.

What are the other opinions and does anyone have any experience using their service plan?

Thanks, ddave
ddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Given another opportunity, I would probably do it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I bought the service plan immediately after receiving my Sony 505 as a holiday gift. It's been 16 months since I bought the plan and haven't had need for it, but it really does give peace of mind. As careful as I am with my Reader, I have dropped it (just once!). Fortunately, nothing adverse happened, but accidents do happen. I think spending the money is a good idea.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I bought the service plan immediately after receiving my Sony 505 as a holiday gift. It's been 16 months since I bought the plan and haven't had need for it, but it really does give peace of mind. As careful as I am with my Reader, I have dropped it (just once!). Fortunately, nothing adverse happened, but accidents do happen. I think spending the money is a good idea.
Ditto! I mean you paid $350+. Without the service plan, if it breaks you are out of $350, however you spend $450+ and even if you break it multiple times and you still get your reader back...
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the plan gets you one replacement; it's not a "multiple use" thing.

It's worth checking whether or not your house insurance policy covers you against accidental damage - many policies (at least here in the UK) either do automatically, or allow you to add accidental damage for specific items at a very low cost.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave View Post

What are the other opinions and does anyone have any experience using their service plan?

Thanks, ddave
Definitely worth for a heavy user. I use my PRS 700 for many hours a day, use the lights extensively as well as carry it with me often and I would be scared otherwise.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the plan gets you one replacement; it's not a "multiple use" thing.
You are correct, Harry. It's just one replacement, but a lot cheaper than having to buy it out of pocket.

Quote:
It's worth checking whether or not your house insurance policy covers you against accidental damage - many policies (at least here in the UK) either do automatically, or allow you to add accidental damage for specific items at a very low cost.
My homeowner's insurance covers it but the deductible is greater than the cost of the Reader so it isn't a viable alternative.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
My homeowner's insurance covers it but the deductible is greater than the cost of the Reader so it isn't a viable alternative.
Yea, apparently they don't have deductibles in the UK, because Harry has mentioned this several times.

Although, I don't think my homeowners would cover a loss like me breaking a device by dropping it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:42 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yea, apparently they don't have deductibles in the UK, because Harry has mentioned this several times.
We do, but it's normally only a small amount - perhaps £50.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We do, but it's normally only a small amount - perhaps £50.
If I carried an equivalent (say $100) deductible my premiums would probably double. I have a $1000 deductible except for Hurricane which is a 5% of value deductible. Yes, I have to carry hurricane insurance here if FL. Go figure.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If I carried an equivalent (say $100) deductible my premiums would probably double. I have a $1000 deductible except for Hurricane which is a 5% of value deductible. Yes, I have to carry hurricane insurance here if FL. Go figure.

BOb
o0o00o0ops so it is only a one time replacement! but hey I still tihk it is a good investment
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I would do it-in fact I did get it with my PRS700BC,when I bought both PRS505s at time of purchase they didn't even recommend it ! Subsequently,this fall I broke my prs505 (I think its the only time something has broken,I'm careful enough with my gadgets,that I have old ones I could sell "as new" LOL )-the cost of repairing it,was going to be almost as much as replacing it,I ended up buying the 700,and I wouldn't buy another one without the plan,just for peace of mind.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
I have a hard time buying the insurance with new products coming out so quickly. I sold my 505 after about 9 months which was as soon as I could get a 700. I will likely sell my 700 as soon as a better product comes out so less likely I will need the insurance.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, sony 700