Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Angry BoB / country of residence

While I knew that BooksOnBoard demanded a country of residence, it has not bothered me much. Untill today, that is. When trying to buy a book by Brent Weeks, I was told that I could not do so, untill I switched my country of residence
While I appreciate that BoB left us the option to switch the country of residence, I am very unhappy with the practice of prohibiting me to download/ purchase a book based on where I live ( surely this is driven by the publisher not BoB, but they nearly lost me as a customer anyway...)

cheers,

kaas

Last edited by kaas; 12-13-2008 at 05:51 PM.
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Shhhh! Or the publishers will force BoB to determine your country of residence by your Visa ...
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Brent Weeks ebook was presumably US-only. However, mobipocket.com usually lists country restrictions on each ebook's web page and its three Brent Weeks ebooks have no such restrictions. See for example Orphan's Destiny by Robert Buettner, which is another Orbit ebook that is restricted.

Has anyone come across any non-US-only ebooks on BoB? In other words, is there a downside to registering as a US resident?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Come to America (even virtually), we are welcoming.

Does not the poem say:

Quote:
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your eBook-less masses yearning to read free...
Or does it? My memory is foggy.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote