Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Large pdf opening

Possibly a bit "size-ist" however, anyone got any issues over opening very large pdfs?

My DR bombs out somewhere between 25 & 35.5Mb but others seem to be able to cope with 40Mb.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
dobbyone
dobbyone began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, HTC Tytn II, DR1000S
Mine manged to open one file that was 53mb, but after I tried zooming to 150% I received the message "not enough ram" (this pdf is only images I think)
dobbyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Maybe I'll try redoing the pdf then. It might be the encoding. I ca understand the zoom, but I did think it should at least open the thing.

cheers
Old 10-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Large PDF Suppport

I just ordered a 1000 specificaly for large pdf's. I will be extremely "put out" if it chokes on larger PDF's. I have a series of law books that range from 90-200 mb each. My puny Sony 505 opens them no problem although they are nearly unreadable even in landscape mode
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic

I suspect text pdfs aren't a major problem, mine is a large tiff file with drawings superimposed on it and saved as a pdf. It's the rendering involved that may be the issue in my case.
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
To clarify, is the problem due to a large PDF document size OR due to large single pages in PDF document, such as large bitmpa pages? Or both?
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:35 AM   #7
pthwaite
Fanatic

Well at present I only have one file >26Mb and it has a Large tiff file with engineering drawings on top, asved as a pdf. It crashes after trying to load.
My other docs, only up to 26Mb, have engineering drawings, text and probably some jpgs embedded & they all work after the usual time delay.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

pthwaite if i gave you access to download a 90 meg book pdf - would you be interested in trying it out for the sake of this thread and overall scientific curiosity? - send me a private message and i'll send you the link and credentials
Old 10-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
pthwaite
Fanatic

davidspitzer,
see PM
Old 10-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

I sent you the login credentials

in a PM for the pdf download location

Old 10-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #11
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Well, the biggest one I can get my hands on right now is the latest web issue of Momentum Magazine (being an avid everyday cyclist). It's 28mb and works OK, if a bit slow. And all that processing is sure to eat up battery life
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
pthwaite
Fanatic

Success
96Mb pdf opened in 25s to first page, thereafter pages open between 1 - 10s. Quite why the difference I don't know, some quick others slow.

In suspect my problem file must be the way it was saved. I've re-saved it and it is now 11Mb so we'll see what happens tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA161290.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	17105   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA161295.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	17106  
Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

Beautiful

That's pdf is over 1000 pages so the fact that it opens and works is good enough for me - thanks - it is breathtaking to see the 1 whole page on one screen and readable!

On my Sony it is landscape, cut in half and microscopic in size
Old 10-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

Here is what it look like on the 505

landscape mode and run through rasterfarian

Name:	IMG_0835.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	17108

Name:	IMG_0836.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	17109
Old 10-17-2008, 02:33 AM   #15
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
landscape mode and run through rasterfarian
How about using PDFLRF to cut the margin on both sides and convert them to LRF in landscape mode? I guess it will be much easier to read.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote