Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #76
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurla View Post
I really wish calibre (and GR) let use half stars. I have a feeling next week's purchases pic will be filled with those odd monochromatic Entangled covers...
Whereas I am so, so glad it doesn’t allow for half stars or I would be waffling over assigning grades even more than I do now.

Basically what I have taken to doing is to judge authors against themselves. Each author is basically rated against other books by that particular author. So while I may rate a JD Robb book as 2 stars, it may be a better book than a 3 or 4 star by another author. If it’s the first time I’ve read an author then I try to judge it on my basic enjoyment level, a combination of how much I liked the characters, plot, etc. But maybe that’s just me. I have a hard time ranking/rating books. And that gap between a 2 and 3 and a 3 and 4 is the hardest to judge. So while half stars could solve that, going from 5 possible choices to 10 is too much for me
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #77
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Due to the snow I am home today and welcome the time. About 10 days ago I opened my laptop and saw an orange/red screen that had a count down screen clock with a message telling me to send $400 to Cryptolocker via the link posted or lose my files.
That's awful. As Blossom said, you need to reformat and reinstall everything. Which is a PITA but the only way to be sure the virus is 100% gone.

Good luck <<<hugs>>>
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #78
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Whereas I am so, so glad it doesn’t allow for half stars or I would be waffling over assigning grades even more than I do now.

Basically what I have taken to doing is to judge authors against themselves. Each author is basically rated against other books by that particular author. So while I may rate a JD Robb book as 2 stars, it may be a better book than a 3 or 4 star by another author. If it’s the first time I’ve read an author then I try to judge it on my basic enjoyment level, a combination of how much I liked the characters, plot, etc. But maybe that’s just me. I have a hard time ranking/rating books. And that gap between a 2 and 3 and a 3 and 4 is the hardest to judge. So while half stars could solve that, going from 5 possible choices to 10 is too much for me
I prefer half ratings myself. It means I am leaning toward the next grade up for that book.

1: I hated it and it's near a DNF for me.
2: I tolerated it but I didn't really like it.
3: It was just okay. I liked it but I didn't love it.
4: I loved it but it was just missing that WOW factor.
5: OMG you got to read this it's sooo good!

I don't give out 5 star ratings very often so if you see me says 4.5 it means it's a really enjoyable read but I thought some elements could be improved on.

So if I rate something 2.5 or below it means not worth your money. I have given very few books 1 star.

The more I read the more picky I've become.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #79
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I prefer half ratings myself. It means I am leaning toward the next grade up for that book.

I don't give out 5 star ratings very often so if you see me says 4.5 it means it's a really enjoyable read but I thought some elements could be improved on.

So if I rate something 2.5 or below it means not worth your money. I have given very few books 1 star.

I usually delete books that I hate or are DNF's so that kind of skews my scale.
For me:
5 stars = A- or A or A+ range = A real favorite! Can still have flaws, but a book where I really love the characters and the story (at least for the most part).
4 stars = B or B+ range = A very enjoyable read that just misses being five stars for various reasons. But overall I really like the h/h and plot.
3 stars = C+ or B- range = An average or slightly above average read where I liked the characters but the book had plot flaws or where I really love the hero and not the heroine or vice versa but the plot was fairly good.
2 stars = D+ or C- or C range = Often still an average or slightly below average book, just with more flaws than a 3 star. I may have disliked major parts of the plot or really disliked either the h/h or both or they did a lot of TSTL stuff. Or a below average book which has enough redeeming qualities that keep it from being a 1 star.
1 star = F or D range = A book in which I really didn’t like the characters plus poorly plotted or even where it had a promising start and likeable characters, but the author totally blew it. For the most part I will only keep 1 star book by my absolute favorite authors and/or if they are part of a series.

ETA: Ratings are usually a balance between characters and plot, but in long running series featuring the same main characters (i.e. In Death or Psy/Changeling) the rating usually refers to just the plot and is often nothing about the major characters.

Last edited by library addict; 02-03-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #80
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
What I would do is immediately shut down the PC and use Ubuntu Live CD to mount the drive and copy what files to an external drive that I want to keep. I read as you try to access stuff it keeps encrypting files so the sooner you shut down the better. So once you got what files left you can back up I would then reformat the drive and reinstall everything from scratch.
When all those horrible early summer storms came through in 2012, my laptop got fried by a power surge (and while it was plugged into a surge protector, the wired network cable was not).

I had recently been playing around with Linux (Ubuntu) and was *so* happy to have this option to save my files!

Turned out I was able to reimage that computer from the backup disks and my dad's wife if now using it. But I was able to pull all my personal files off via Linux before the reimage.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #81
laurla
Addict
laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laurla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I usually delete books that I hate or are DNF's so that kind of skews my scale.
For me:
5 stars = A- or A or A+ range = A real favorite! Can still have flaws, but a book where I really love the characters and the story (at least for the most part).
4 stars = B or B+ range = A very enjoyable read that just misses being five stars for various reasons. But overall I really like the h/h and plot.
3 stars = C+ or B- range = An average or slightly above average read where I liked the characters but the book had plot flaws or where I really love the hero and not the heroine or vice versa but the plot was fairly good.
2 stars = D+ or C- or C range = Often still an average or slightly below average book, just with more flaws than a 3 star. I may have disliked major parts of the plot or really disliked either the h/h or both or they did a lot of TSTL stuff. Or a below average book which has enough redeeming qualities that keep it from being a 1 star.
1 star = F or D range = A book in which I really didn’t like the characters plus poorly plotted or even where it had a promising start and likeable characters, but the author totally blew it. For the most part I will only keep 1 star book by my absolute favorite authors and/or if they are part of a series.

ETA: Ratings are usually a balance between characters and plot, but in long running series featuring the same main characters (i.e. In Death or Psy/Changeling) the rating usually refers to just the plot and is often nothing about the major characters.
That's way more thought than I put into it... which is why I don't write reviews very often - I rate a book almost solely on that book alone and not in any comparison to other books. Sometimes in a series, I might think about how much I enjoyed it vs the previous books, but in general my rating comes from how much I enjoyed the book and it's very similar to Blossom's scale. If the editing is not very good, that will usually only affect my rating if it takes me out of the story - so it would have to be pretty bad. Plot, of course, is considered but only in so much as it works to create a good story for me. If it's an unbelievable plot but the author made it work for me, I'll probably still rate it higher. If it's too unbelievable and I'm rolling my eyes throughout the book, then well, not so high a rating.

But it seems the thing that affects me the most is depth of character/depth of story. If it feels like I've just skimmed along, that will keep me from enjoying a book and I'll end up rating it lower. Sometimes the overall story-line will keep me interested enough that I'll keep reading, but I always feel like I'm missing something from the characters - like WHY they are feeling or doing what they are doing. Mimi Barbour's Vegas series is like that for me. Things happen too fast between the H/h and I don't feel the 'insta love' between the characters. Can't really put my finger on it because I tend to like the insta love trope, but it's not really working here. We do get to see inside their heads, but something's missing for me. I really just feel like everything is on the surface. But, I do want to know what happens, so I'll likely finish the series. They are short reads at least... And I'l probably give them 3 stars because I didn't hate them, I was interested in the outcome, but I didn't love the characters either.
laurla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #82
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New batch of Wild Rose Press freebies!

Get them here!

[Edited - MODERATOR]

I've been playing around with it and it's really nice program. I like how it creates clean html code from a word doc that has like a ton of styles in it. Makes it so much easier to edit for Calibre. I no longer need PSPAD or use style sheets on my Topaz scanned books. This cleans it all right up for me.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-04-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #83
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurla View Post
That's way more thought than I put into it... which is why I don't write reviews very often - I rate a book almost solely on that book alone and not in any comparison to other books. Sometimes in a series, I might think about how much I enjoyed it vs the previous books, but in general my rating comes from how much I enjoyed the book and it's very similar to Blossom's scale. If the editing is not very good, that will usually only affect my rating if it takes me out of the story - so it would have to be pretty bad. Plot, of course, is considered but only in so much as it works to create a good story for me. If it's an unbelievable plot but the author made it work for me, I'll probably still rate it higher. If it's too unbelievable and I'm rolling my eyes throughout the book, then well, not so high a rating.

But it seems the thing that affects me the most is depth of character/depth of story. If it feels like I've just skimmed along, that will keep me from enjoying a book and I'll end up rating it lower. Sometimes the overall story-line will keep me interested enough that I'll keep reading, but I always feel like I'm missing something from the characters - like WHY they are feeling or doing what they are doing. Mimi Barbour's Vegas series is like that for me. Things happen too fast between the H/h and I don't feel the 'insta love' between the characters. Can't really put my finger on it because I tend to like the insta love trope, but it's not really working here. We do get to see inside their heads, but something's missing for me. I really just feel like everything is on the surface. But, I do want to know what happens, so I'll likely finish the series. They are short reads at least... And I'l probably give them 3 stars because I didn't hate them, I was interested in the outcome, but I didn't love the characters either.
Well, there are some books where if I like the characters a lot it is enough to nudge it over the edge to the higher star rating despite plot issues. This is where the half star would come in for I think. But all-in-all I think I'm happier with only 5 stars to choose from. I never rated my books before I got Calibre or even for the first year or so I had Calibre. But then my library started really growing and it seemed the easiest way to tell at a glance the read from unread (this was before custom columns were introduced). Plus my memory is not as good as it used to be and the ratings help with the year-end poll at AAR
Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #84
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
New batch of Wild Rose Press freebies!

Get them here!

[Edited - MODERATOR]

I've been playing around with it and it's really nice program. I like how it creates clean html code from a word doc that has like a ton of styles in it. Makes it so much easier to edit for Calibre. I no longer need PSPAD or use style sheets on my Topaz scanned books. This cleans it all right up for me.
I have no idea why my post was edited as it just contained a normal link to the thread here in the Deals Forum

Last edited by Blossom; 02-05-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #85
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

I'm VERY stingy with my stars, and at times have resorted to .25 stars! [It's the OCD part of me]
My basic rating system
1 - usually a DNF, will avoid the author like the plague in the future
2- meh, usually skimmed to get to end and won't buy author again
3- this is where it gets tricky. If it's an author I usually love, then I'll look at future purchases. If it's a new author it means I'll be very choosey on future purchases, if at all
4- Generally I'll add the series a/o author to auto-buy at this point. means I REALLY enjoyed it, but wouldn't necessarily read the book/series again
5- VERY stingy with these, but these to me are books that I will read and re-read again and LOVED the book and will buy anything the author writes.

And to verify how stingy I am with my stars, I just checked my status at GR. I've rated 421 books with an average rating of 3.35.

Venus, hope your computer-saving is going really well today. What a huge PITA for you, hope it's all settled soon with no data loss. *HUGS you*

ETA deal: MC anyone? $.99 A Ride or Die Kind of Love
Includes EIGHT full length novels that feature men on motorcycles. If you love the wind in your hair, hands in the air and being swept off your feet by a man in leather, this set of novels is just for you.

Chelsea Camaron – One Ride
Selene Chardou – Deadly Seduction
Nicole Jacquelyn – Craving Constellations
Bella Jewel – Hell’s Knights
Kim Jones – Saving Dallas
Kit Rocha – Beyond Shame
Madeline Sheehan – Undeniable
Ashley Suzanne – Mirage

I've read Madeline Sheehan and Bella Jewel, believe they were both 3.5-4ish range and I have more in both those series.

Last edited by Blue2u; 02-04-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #86
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Thanks Blue and Library Addict for the hugs. I have chosen to follow Blossom's advice. I ordered a recertified (used) Thinkpad computer with Windows 7. I am not ready for Windows 8. I will transfer all the backups i have to it. Although Blossom probably would keep the same computer and reformat just the hard drive, I don't want anything to do with it right now. BTW, I just saw an ad on TV that said PC Matic protects against the Cryptolocker virus. I guess I need to watch more TV.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #87
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Thanks Blue and Library Addict for the hugs. I have chosen to follow Blossom's advice. I ordered a recertified (used) Thinkpad computer with Windows 7. I am not ready for Windows 8. I will transfer all the backups i have to it. Although Blossom probably would keep the same computer and reformat just the hard drive, I don't want anything to do with it right now. BTW, I just saw an ad on TV that said PC Matic protects against the Cryptolocker virus. I guess I need to watch more TV.
Or install Norton or another good AV program and always run it (and update automatically). Between that and never opening attachments in email (or clicking most links), you'll avoid most of the nastier infections. You can still get some via web pages, but most of those should be stopped, as well.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #88
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I rated this a solid 4, falls into Contemporary/NA Romance. $.99 Strip Me Bare - Marissa Carmel
blurb: "I may have had more lovers than you, and I may take my clothes off for countless women, but you are the only one who can strip me bare.”

Do you ever stop loving someone just because they’re gone?
Five years ago Ryan Pierce disappeared from Alana Remington’s life without leaving so much as a post-it note behind. He was the one she gave her heart to, her soul to and her virginity to. So imagine her surprise when she finds him dancing at one of NYC’s hottest male reviews as Jack the Stripper.
Ryan never stopped loving Alana, and now that she serendipitously dropped back into his life, he’s vowed never to lose her again. But being together has its costs, and challenges Alana isn’t sure she can handle. She finally has Ryan back; but how in the world is she supposed to share the love of her life with half of the women in New York City?
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #89
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I rated this a solid 4, falls into Contemporary/NA Romance. $.99 Strip Me Bare - Marissa Carmel
You know I finally figure out what the problem I have with half of these NA books coming out. I was reading the excerpt of this book because it sounded interested to me but could not push the buy button. It's the heroine I think. I just don't like her right off from the start.

I think I just don't care to read for heroines who I wouldn't consider well...not a nice girl. I can take a bad boy hero anyday but if a heroine comes off witchy with a capital B or has a potty mouth I just can't stand her. If the heroine uses the F bomb for non reason other then thinks she sounds cool on the first page of the book It's a DNF for me. A hero can have a potty mouth and it doesn't bother me but it does if the heroine does it, it's just a huge turn off for me. Not saying women can't use curse words but there is a appropriate time and place for it. Know what I mean?

I think of heroines like Kiera or Abby from Thoughtless or Beautiful Disaster or the girl from Easy or Tru from The Mighty Storm. Those are the type of young heroines I like to read about.

The book I just finished the heroine would be consider someone who did what was necessary to survive and she did some not so savory things but she came off as a nice girl stuck in bad situation. She knew she needed to get her life together after all the mistakes she made. This is different from a heroine that just acts like a bad girl because she thinks she is tough and cool.

The only time this would not apply to me if it was Urban fantasy or Cozy and the heroine is something like Gin Blanko that's the only time I want to read about a bad girl if it's non romance. I know that doesn't make much sense but I can't root for a bad girl to have a HEA. I had a real problem with Suzanne from Erin McCarthy's Racing series. She is the perfect example of a heroine I couldn't stand. Ally Nightingale from the Rock Chick series is another one unlike Indie Savage who I love Ally isn't a nice girl.

Jumping off my soapbox now it just hit me why I have DNF alot of NA's lately as it seems to be trend with the heroines coming out lately.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-05-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #90
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Lori Wilde's Jubilee, Texas Bundle $4.54

Jubilee, Texas Series: Jubilee, Texas Novels 1, 2, and 3

1 The Cowboy Takes a Bride
2 The Cowboy and the Princess
3 A Cowboy for Christmas

I highly recommend this series. This is not your average modern western small town romance series. These books blew me away as the characterization is just perfect! If you're looking for something emotionally satisfying this is in it. These are heartwarming serious books with some humorous moments. You will fall in love with the town like I did and the price makes this a great deal!