Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 02:49 AM   #1
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
1.7.1 is live

Kobo desktop 1.7.1 is now showing for download from the Kobo website.

Link
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Cant get though, site is down! Whats new?
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
And it works for the original Kobo, too. I can't believe how peppy it is!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
the new desktop crashes instantly when I try to run it. I just installed on XP sp3 (without uninstalling 1.6) As soon as I click the icon to run it I get the "Kobo Desktop Edition has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message. If I click the "debug" button on that dialog nothing happens other than the dialog closing. I have the original Kobo, and it was not plugged in. Same thing with it plugged in.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Tried uninstalling, re-downloading and installing. Same crash. Don't know if this helps, but when I click for more information on the debug dialog I get this:
Error Signature
AppName: kobo.exe AppVer: 1.7.1.0 ModName:nickel.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset:000e13f8

Do you want the text file that gets created with the full error report?
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
AuroraRob
AuroraRob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi - Sony PRS600
Link and software installed and ran fine for me
AuroraRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
Tried uninstalling, re-downloading and installing. Same crash. Don't know if this helps, but when I click for more information on the debug dialog I get this:
Error Signature

Yes please - can you PM it to me?

There is a file called Kobo.sqlite that lives in c:\Documents and Settings\{USERNAME}\Local Settings\Application Data\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Editions\

Could you try to move this file out of the way and then start the application?
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
Error Signature

Hi plaid,

I'm one of the developers on the team. Could you please cc: me a copy of the error report and I'll look into it.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Diane Stanley
Diane Stanley began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I managed to do the download without any problems to my computer with Windows Vista, but on my husbands computer which has Windows 7 I get this error. I don't like to mess too much with his computer as he can mess it up himself with very little effort. *LOL* Anyway here is the error message

error opening file for writing.
c:\programfiles(x86)\kobo\kobo.exe

click abort to stop installation
retry to try again
ignore to skip file

Abort of course stops it. Retry does nothing and ignore seems to finish it, but when you open the Kobo desktop it still says there is an update. I go to install the update but again the same thing happens.

Diane
Diane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
plaid
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Yes please - can you PM it to me?

There is a file called Kobo.sqlite that lives in c:\Documents and Settings\{USERNAME}\Local Settings\Application Data\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Editions\

Could you try to move this file out of the way and then start the application?
moving this file out makes no difference. I have pm'd the error text, thanks!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Can I download this even though I am in New Zealand? Our local supplier is Whitcoulls but they are always behind in their releases and were unable to give me a date for release here. Thanks
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Problem with new software

I just loaded the new Kobo application 1.7.1 and also updated the firmware in my Kobo WiFi reader and then purchased a new book. It will not sync load into my reader. Has anyone bought and sync'd a book since they updated their software, because it does not appear to work?

It shows in my Kobo library on the web.

It shows in my Kobo computer application library.

It will not load into my e-reader using the Kobo application sync. It says it loads it, but it's not in the library of the reader.

I have purchased and sync'd three previous new books since getting the reader four days ago.

(Windows 7 64 bit. No problems until now)

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Stanley View Post
I managed to do the download without any problems to my computer with Windows Vista, but on my husbands computer which has Windows 7 I get this error. I don't like to mess too much with his computer as he can mess it up himself with very little effort. *LOL* Anyway here is the error message

error opening file for writing.
c:\programfiles(x86)\kobo\kobo.exe

click abort to stop installation
retry to try again
ignore to skip file

Abort of course stops it. Retry does nothing and ignore seems to finish it, but when you open the Kobo desktop it still says there is an update. I go to install the update but again the same thing happens.

Diane
Restart the computer, don't run Kobo and download the installer from the link above. Then try to install.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
Diane Stanley
Diane Stanley began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Restart the computer, don't run Kobo and download the installer from the link above. Then try to install.
I will get hubby to try this when he gets home. Thanks for the info.
Diane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #15
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
I just loaded the new Kobo application 1.7.1 and also updated the firmware in my Kobo WiFi reader and then purchased a new book. It will not sync load into my reader. Has anyone bought and sync'd a book since they updated their software, because it does not appear to work?

It shows in my Kobo library on the web.

It shows in my Kobo computer application library.

It will not load into my e-reader using the Kobo application sync. It says it loads it, but it's not in the library of the reader.

I have purchased and sync'd three previous new books since getting the reader four days ago.

(Windows 7 64 bit. No problems until now)

ltr
In addition to the above, I notice that the Kobo application isn't sorting my books by Date Added. The book that won't load into my reader (as mentioned in the quote above) should show as the first since it's the last added. It shows as the second book.

Can someone from Kobo comment on my problems. I'd like to read my new book..

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote