Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
eh. on the 4?

and the find is not recursive? oh. that surprises me.

Until I have a 4 filesystem in front of me? I can neither confirm nor deny. apologies

what does

find /usr -name 'libwebkit*'
Quote:
/usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0
/usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so.0.7.2
/usr/lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so
report?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

in fact... why not back all the libs off of the device?

(instructions on GTK thread)
Quote:
fisrt we'll grab the libs we need from the kindle
Code:
ssh root@kindle
cd /usr
tar -cpvzf /mnt/us/libs.tar.gz lib
exit

this tar ball should be created as I have above, if you've got the symlinks and not copied libs multiple times (will break our builds later) the tar ball should be around 35mb

scp root@<your kindles ip address>:/mnt/us/libs.tar.gz .
ssh root@<your kindles ip address> rm /mnt/us/libs.tar.gz
tar zxvf libs.tar.gz

and search locally?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Device: none
I just downloaded a main partition image for K4NT (mmcblk0p1.img) and the file IS there, which prompts I'm doing something terribly wrong. Tomorrow I'll try to .tar.gz it and also a different ssh client.
ghudod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
twobob

ok mate.

Leave it with you
Old 01-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #20
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Nothing worked and now I'm really confused.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudod View Post
Nothing worked and now I'm really confused.
You must be looking it the wrong place (or the wrong machine).

Please give us a step-by-step of what you are doing (skip nothing) from the point of having the Kindle asleep "over there" and your other machine "over here".

Include the prompt messages to make it easier to follow.
Cut & Paste into text editor as if you where taking notes - then Cut & Paste that into a post editor.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #22
ghudod
Connoisseur

1. Connect kindle to USB
2. Create ENABLE_DIAGS file
3. Eject kindle
4. Restart kindle from settings menu
5. Enable usbnet in diagnostics menu
6. Start ssh client and connect to 192.168.15.244
7. Enter password "fiona5f5"
8. Files ain't there
No error codes or anything to dwell upon.
I'll go into more details a little later.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Correct result - the files aren't there.

= = =

Kindles are "dual-boot" systems -
Sort of like having WinXP and Win7 on the same machine.
You are looking in the WinXP system for some of the Win7 files.

= = = =

That is: You are running the "diags mode" operating system and looking for the "main mode" files.

ssh into the Kindle while it is in "main mode" and you will find what your looking for.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
ghudod
Connoisseur

Quote:
ssh into the Kindle while it is in "main mode" and you will find what your looking for
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. But how do I do that?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #25
twobob

I am certainly not positive about that.

You changed your comment. making mine pointless and wrong-looking

Last edited by twobob; 01-05-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: err the text miraculously changed
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #26
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudod View Post
1. Connect kindle to USB
2. Create ENABLE_DIAGS file
3. Eject kindle
4. Restart kindle from settings menu
5. Enable usbnet in diagnostics menu
6. Start ssh client and connect to 192.168.15.244
7. Enter password "fiona5f5"
8. Files ain't there
No error codes or anything to dwell upon.
I'll go into more details a little later.
You were almost there. You can use diags SSH to view or modify the main partition if you mount it:

mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc
cd /mnt/mmc
...search here...

This method is especially useful if you cannot boot to main or you do not have SSH (dropbear) installed on main. In fact, this was how we originally copied dropbear from diags to main in the first place.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-05-2013 at 12:03 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #27
ghudod
Connoisseur

Just like I thought. Thanks, this works.
Now to that hex editing. _self is one character shorter than _blank. So I got to replace that extra character at the end with null, right?
Also, then I got to mount the main partition like before, delete old file, copy new file and then unmount, and it's going to work like I just copied it to main partition, right?

Also after I tamper with the files on kindle, it behaves strangely. It turns on and displays language selection menu, like after a reset, but with no reaction to joystick. It takes some turn-off turn-on cycles to get it back, but after that it's working normally, so I guess it's not really a problem.

Last edited by ghudod; 01-06-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #28
twobob

null terminate the string.

To be honest I was rather hoping dave might have given you the file by now.

good luck
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #29
ghudod
Connoisseur

Thanks everyone for help, it works. But there's a great disappointment, the fix does not affect images. I'll try to look into it, but as you've guessed, I don't know much about web programming either. So any advice apart from giving it up is much appreciated.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #30
twobob

in what way does it not affect images...

please provide a better explanation of your problems.

screenshots / pictures from terrible webcams go a long way in these situations.

or even a: "I did this, went here, clicked this, expected this, but this happened"

"the fix does not affect images" means zero to me.