Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
travelreader
travelreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Replacing Sony PSR 500

I've had a bad experience upgrading the firmware on my Sony PSR 500. Loved it until then.

Those of you who have purchased any of the new Sony models: Are you happy with them?

Or is this a good time to switch to another brand?

Has anyone switched from Sony to another brand?
travelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
If you loved the 500, I would just go with a 505. I liked mine so much I bought a backup.

The only caveat would be if you're going to get into using the ePub format; the 505 doesn't support them completely (no full justification). I just continue to use LRF in most cases.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I love my Sony PRS-600 but I've never used another brand of ebook reader. If I were going to get another one, I'd get the same one, or possibly the PRS-900 or a BeBook Neo. I do like the Pocketbook 302 but it costs just a little more than I would spend for an ebook reader. Now that I'm used to the dictionary and touch screen on my PRS-600 I don't think I could go without those.

Last edited by banjobama; 05-15-2010 at 09:12 AM.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I love my Sony 600. the only problem I had with the software was using the synch feature, so I simply don't use that feature. Loading books on to my reader & adding them to the reader library is easy to do.

I can get multiformat LRFs, epubs, pdfs, and even convert my MS Word docs to rtfs to upload to my library & reader.

Sony doesn't lock you into just purchasing from their store, you are free to go to any store that has epubs & pdfs that utilize Adobe Digital Editions.

For me the Sony gave me the greatest number of choices & flexibility, that's why I got one.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
you can also check different PocketBook models
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelreader View Post
I've had a bad experience upgrading the firmware on my Sony PSR 500. Loved it until then.

Those of you who have purchased any of the new Sony models: Are you happy with them?

Or is this a good time to switch to another brand?

Has anyone switched from Sony to another brand?
I have switched from the 505 to the Irex 800. And I must say that I much prefer it. Apart from the 50% larger screen (but virtually the same overall size), extremely fast page turns, and even better screen navigation is also much easier with the touch screen. Great for newspapers, etc. And you can use it as a digital notebook.

Before you get the Sony 600 or 900 better check out the screens yourself. Some hate them, some say they are still ok. The Irex has a Wacom touch screen, that doesn't affect screen clarity.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote