Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
ADE tutorial??

I have Windows XP Pro (with Adobe Reader 8) and Sony PRS 505.

What's the story on Adobe Digital Edition (ADE)? What does it do? Do I need it for any reason? If so, for what? Etc.? Etc.?

Any other tidbits of knowledge??

Thanks!

. . . . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You need ADE in order to buy commercial ePub or PDF-format eBooks which have digital rights management. You "authorise" both your PC and your Sony using ADE and then, when you buy an eBook, you first of all download it to your PC using ADE, and then transfer it to your Sony Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You need ADE in order to buy commercial ePub or PDF-format eBooks which have digital rights management.
Harry, Thanks for the succinct response!

I assume that without ADE I would be blocked from acquiring DRM eBooks, right? In other words, I wouldn't buy an eBook and learn later that I needed ADE, right?

Since I have yet to be blocked from downloading any eBooks, then it appears that I may only VERY RARELY need the ADE capability for the books that interest me...and perhaps should not bother with it!?!

. . . . . Pete
Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I assume that without ADE I would be blocked from acquiring DRM eBooks, right? In other words, I wouldn't buy an eBook and learn later that I needed ADE, right?
If you were to someplace like WH Smith or Books On Board there would be nothing stopping you from buying a DRM'd book. You just wouldn't be able to download it until you installed and activated ADE. Books On Board give a warning during checkout about needing ADE if I recall correctly. Not sure about other retailers.

Quote:
Since I have yet to be blocked from downloading any eBooks, then it appears that I may only VERY RARELY need the ADE capability for the books that interest me...and perhaps should not bother with it!?!
Probably depends on what you buy. If you plan to buy current fiction put out by big publishers like Penguin, Harper, S&S, etc. those epubs will be DRM'd and you'll want ADE.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If you plan to buy current fiction put out by big publishers like Penguin, Harper, S&S, etc. those epubs will be DRM'd and you'll want ADE.
Brian, What is the best way to get ADE? Any tricks to the process I should know about?

Thanks!

. . . . . . Pete
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Brian, What is the best way to get ADE? Any tricks to the process I should know about?

Thanks!

. . . . . . Pete
You can get it here...
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

I don't know of any tricks. I just installed it, activated it, and it worked.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard

I have installed and activated ADE on my PC

What is the ADE software on my PC used for?

And what is the software at the online ADE library used for?

Also, how is ADE (presumably the online software??) used to download a book from a 3rd party vendor e.g. booksonboard, etc.?

Thanks!

. . . . . Pete
Old 10-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Books on Board help pages provide a good introduction. They have specific help pages for Sony Readers and for Adobe ebooks. Note that once your PRS-505 has been authorized to your Adobe ID, you don't have to use Windows ADE to copy the ebook to your device. You do need to use Windows ADE to download the ebook from BoB though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Note that once your PRS-505 has been authorized to your Adobe ID, you don't have to use Windows ADE to copy the ebook to your device. You do need to use Windows ADE to download the ebook from BoB though.
W, Thanks for the help!

I have now authorized my 505 to my Adobe ID. It told me that 3 of my books on my 505 are ADE books (which I had loaded using Calibre before getting ADE) and these are books I have been reading in the past...this makes me wonder how I could read these books without having had the ADE setup!?!

Is the interaction between the PC ADE software and online ADE software pretty much the same as with the Sony software? If yes, this helps me understand how they are utilized?

. . . . . Pete

Last edited by petercreasey; 10-01-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You need ADE in order to buy commercial ePub or PDF-format eBooks which have digital rights management. You "authorise" both your PC and your Sony using ADE and then, when you buy an eBook, you first of all download it to your PC using ADE, and then transfer it to your Sony Reader.
You also need ADE if you want to borrow and read ebooks from your local library (if they have ebooks to lend!). Same procedure: Go to the library's website, find books to borrow and select them, go through the checkout process. Then when you download them, choose the "open file with ADE" option. The ebook will appear in ADE. Plug i your Reader and it should be recognized on the left side (as in Sony's software). Drag the borrowed ebooks onto the Reader button to load them.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
You also need ADE if you want to borrow and read ebooks from your local library (if they have ebooks to lend!). Same procedure: Go to the library's website, find books to borrow and select them, go through the checkout process. Then when you download them, choose the "open file with ADE" option. The ebook will appear in ADE. Plug i your Reader and it should be recognized on the left side (as in Sony's software). Drag the borrowed ebooks onto the Reader button to load them.
D, Thanks for the info!

It appears that I find the book(s) using my browser then when downloading them figure out how to put them in an ADE folder. Then I launch the ADE software using the icon on my desktop and proceed to find the book in the ADE folder and drag it to the Reader connected to the PC via the USB.

Am I close to being correct?

. . . . . Pete
Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It appears that I find the book(s) using my browser then when downloading them figure out how to put them in an ADE folder.
In most cases, if you can download them using a web browser to where ever you want then they are DRM-free (not encrypted). In that case you can copy them to the Sony Reader yourself, or import them into Desktop ADE or into the Desktop Sony Library application.

If you buy an "Adobe" ebook, then typically desktop Adobe Digital Editions takes over from your web browser and it downloads the ebook for you. It then always downloads it to the My Documents\My Digital Editions folder. You can copy it from there to the Sony Reader yourself, or have ADE do this for you.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Certainly not. Just because you can buy and ebook doesn't mean that you can read it on your Sony. You can buy mobipocket, ereader, and MSReader ebooks which all use different copy protection from what the Sony supports.

Also, you can currently buy ebooks from the Sony store which use Sony's proprietary copy protection which does not require ADE but does require the Sony eBook Library software.

Yes, it shouldn't be this hard.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you buy an "Adobe" ebook, then typically desktop Adobe Digital Editions takes over from your web browser and it downloads the ebook for you. It then always downloads it to the My Documents\My Digital Editions folder. You can copy it from there to the Sony Reader yourself, or have ADE do this for you.
W, Aha! Thanks! This is the first time I have seen this explanation anywhere.

. . . . . . . Pete