Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
lgstoian
lgstoian began at the beginning.

Device: boyue c61
Any one else with Chinese E-Ink Ebook readers ?

A while ago I finally decided to purchase an E-ink Reader as I found that reading on my tablet or phone was too tiring to my eyes.
But it seemed that , lately , there hasn't been much progress made when it comes to E-ink Ebook readers choice of models. Tablets are not only stealing the market-share but also the interest of most manufacturers.
It looked like I was stuck between the Kindle , Kobo or Nook , but these devices were far too tided up in their respective market ecosystem for my taste.
I wanted something that basically can open any imaginable format you gave it and you can transfer files on and off the device as mass storage.
As I had nothing on the local market to suit my needs and stay within my budget I came up with the idea of getting something from China.
Their E-reader market is still expanding and they did have a few new models for 2013.
I tried to go for one of their "bigger brands" and after reading some reviews translated with our friend Google I ended up getting something called the BoYue C61. http://www.boyue.com/ebook/C61
An 768x1024 E-ink display reader with Wifi and 4gb internal storage + micro sdhc card support (up to 32gb).
The device arrived a few days ago and surprisingly enough it doesn't disappoint. The screen is very sharp and has great contrast , page render and flips are fast , supports any file format I can think off. Plus the build quality is quite good ... if you leave aside the fact that it is white with a golden'ish back.
I have no real complains about it , especially considering I got it for 104 usd including shipping. The seller even added a faux leather book cover , a LED clip on light for reading in the dark and a screen protector. Now as a little warning , this particular device does only support English , but I did stumble over others with Multilingual support. Also I do hope it keeps performing well in the long run as some Chinese devices aren't best known for that particular trait.
Anyway I'm curious if anyone else has got any similar device. It seems around the forum that most have the Color LCD Ebook readers from China rather E-ink ones.
lgstoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
the site link does not work for me.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...P-sGdJV_QDih_A

This link is translated to English from a review of this product. The original site is very iffy to get to. The link is to the C60, not the C61

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
lgstoian

This is a translation of a review for the C61 the one I have.
http://translate.google.com/translat...2/3135465.html

It's been abit over a week with the device and till now I can say I'm completely satisfied. Battery life seems to be ok , I'm at my 3rd 300'ish page book plus some web-browsing and it is down to 80%.
The browser is surprisingly good and renders pages properly (supports javascript) and fast ... though the lack of touch screen makes it such a hassle to write any address or just to interact with the page.

Sound quality is also good as it features a Wolfson DAC.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Nice product.

I hope they release frontlight based ereaders too.
Their 9.7 inch product for 240$ looks good too
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
lgstoian

And these BoYue folks aren't the only ones making some interesting e-ink readers.
I found several with full qwerty keyboard , some android based and even one that had a flexible screen. Basically it had all the electronics in a lump on the side of the device and the screen itself was flexible. For this one I can't seem to find the link , when I do I'll post it.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
lgstoian

Just found the C60 ( older model ) in Europe under the name : WayteQ xBook-60w.
http://www.wayteq.eu/en/xbook60w

Video review for the C60 but it is in Hunarian.

It's priced in my country at 150 USD equivalent.
I got the C61 which has a newer and higher resolution e-ink display for 104usd from the OEM in China.

My C61 got at the start of this month a substantial firmware upgrade that brings several optimizations and some new features.

Last edited by lgstoian; 05-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #8
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
When you say that it only supports English, do you mean the interface? There should be no problem displaying French or German books, right? I may join the wagon in a couple of months as I'm moving to China and have not yet found a reader I really like to replace my old one...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:54 AM   #9
lgstoian

I mean only English characters when you open any other files except pdf. So German and French characters aren't supported. If you use Calibre to convert all your books to PDF there will be no issues , that's what I do for my German books. There were several other ebook readers I found that did have multilingual support.
They made now a flexible screen version of my current reader : http://translate.google.com/translat....com/ebook/C61
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
Oh, that would be annoying... Well, at least it should display Chinese characters ^^
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #11
pankovas
pankovas began at the beginning.

Device: nintendo ds
Rubbish Boyue Products

I have (or rather had) a Bouyue C-61. Lasted 3 months, with several losses of all books and bookmarks etc.

Finally it stuck on the critical battery screen, there was no way to revive from this. I tried everything.

Customer service ignored my attempts to get in touch with them, finally it ended up where it belongs, in the RUBBISH BIN.

Take my advice DO NOT buy any BOYUE product, ZERO customer service, ZERO reliability.
pankovas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
the 6" android 4.2 BOYUE T61 with touch screen looks interesting : http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...896082778.html
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #13
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
the 6" android 4.2 BOYUE T61 with touch screen costs 78E10 @banggood : http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-EB...er-c-2724.html
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:02 AM   #14
donoharm
donoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW1 - jailbroken
I just bought one. I hope it's all it's cracked up to be because I really want an open source eReader that does not spy on the user like amazon/kobo/nook.
donoharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoharm View Post
I just bought one. I hope it's all it's cracked up to be because I really want an open source eReader that does not spy on the user like amazon/kobo/nook.
No device can spy on you if the WiFi is turned off.

To be extra sure, you can put it in a Faraday cage.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote