Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Slayden
Slayden began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Sound problems

I've had my vox since January and after the march update i've had sound problems. Now i have made sure it's not muted thru any setting. It's not the speaker cause i can plug some ear buds in and still no sound. After start up if i use an app to play some music it works and if i leave it alone and come back to it sound is just gone. I can turn it off to bring the sound back, but its a bit of a pain having this happen randomly.
Slayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Slametz
Newb
Slametz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
funny, Ive found the same problem with mine. It is rooted and ive added the market with a few other things, mainly Go Launcher to give it more of a custom UI look. Ive been checking many a thread and havent found much chatter about the sound simply stopping. Ive noticed this after it has been asleep, but it is only intermittent?
Slametz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Slayden
Slayden began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Yeah it seems to happen after it goes to sleep. Mines rooted and i use go launcher as well, but its been weird before i put go launcher on it
Slayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Wink Sound

Though I have not experienced the problems mentioned here with regards my Vox sound, I do wish that Kobo would give some serious thought to at least 25% more volume. Even with headsets the sound is too low. I do favour the idea of being able to disconnect the sign on sound as that tends to be annoying, but, please Kobo, give the Vox more umph, otherwise the Vox is one heck of a great value.
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Slametz
Newb
Slametz began at the beginning.

possible cause

okay i think i have an idea of what the problem may be, at least it seems to have done the trick on mine. i disabled any background syncing and that seemed to stop it. there is still the occasional wake from sleep however the sound remains. i cant access the play store without re-enabling background sync but would rather toggle it on and off rather than the whole unit. cheers
Slametz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Just experienced a related problem here...I noticed sound was only working on one channel and I was sure it was a hardware problem, faulty jack, etc. I rebooted and sound came back in both channels. FFS! Further cementing the vox's flakiness in my mind...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I presume you're using stereo earphones or external speakers because the Vox only has one built in speaker. I've found that some stereo plugs don't line up well in some jacks and you have to move them in or out a hair to get both channels. Could that be the problem?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

No, I jiggled the jack around like crazy, it was clearly a software problem.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
Though I have not experienced the problems mentioned here with regards my Vox sound, I do wish that Kobo would give some serious thought to at least 25% more volume. Even with headsets the sound is too low. I do favour the idea of being able to disconnect the sign on sound as that tends to be annoying, but, please Kobo, give the Vox more umph, otherwise the Vox is one heck of a great value.
People wishing to boost their volume could try this app:

http://androidaudiohacks.com/

I found it did boost the speaker but not the headset (which is the opposite of what I need). I have a support ticket open with the dev so we'll see. May require root (some features require root but I have no idea which ones).
Old 05-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Re: volume

I think a lot depends on the peripheral hardware (speakers or earphones). I sometimes like to read with background music using Tunein Radio. I use a pair of earphones from one of my MP3 players and even with the volume at the lowest of the 15 increments, it can be distracting.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post

I found it did boost the speaker but not the headset (which is the opposite of what I need). I have a support ticket open with the dev so we'll see. May require root (some features require root but I have no idea which ones).
You can also try my free Speaker Boost (in Appstore and Android Market). It's got fewer features than Volume+, but it's free (well, it does show an ad for my other apps, which ad disappears when you buy any of my paid apps), and simpler to use.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:

I found it did boost the speaker but not the headset (which is the opposite of what I need)
. I have a support ticket open with the dev so we'll see. May require root (some features require root but I have no idea which ones).
Try a different headset. You probably don't have a good impedance match. I have earphones kicking around from different mp3 players I;ve had and some of them literally blast my ears when plugged in to the Vox.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
mr_nobody
Evangelist

I don't use headphones, I plug into stereo systems, speaker docks, etc. The vox's volume is stupidly low. I have since purchased two other cheap android devices that are much better than the vox and no longer use the vox for music.

[edit]: I notice above I said "headset" when what I meant was "output from the headphone jack".

Last edited by mr_nobody; 06-17-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
I don't use headphones, I plug into stereo systems, speaker docks, etc. The vox's volume is stupidly low. I have since purchased two other cheap android devices that are much better than the vox and no longer use the vox for music.
Okay, I see what you mean. I just plugged in a set of amplified computer speakers I have kicking around and needed to turn their volume all the way up and still got fairly low volume. I then put in a cheap phonograph preamp I use for recording from vinyl and it worked great. Clearly the jack is only intended for headphones.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Could you say more about this oldyellr. I am not an audiophile, but I would like to have enough volume in my car so both my husband and I can listen to audiobooks on an upcoming trip--that means no headphones. I wonder what happens if I get one of those gadgets that makes it possible to run devices through my car stereo?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote