Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Purchased Books are Locked and Cannot Be Removed

Hey - I've had my Kobo for a couple of months now - and when I first bought it, I purchased 3 books (two downloaded from the Kobo website to my PC and then copied to the Kobo and one directly downloaded through wifi to my Kobo). I started reading all of them just to test it out and then I decided to try borrowing library books.

So...here we are two months later and I am finally getting around to finish reading my purchased books after reading many, many borrowed books from the library.

I went to access one of my purchased books this afternoon and a message came up on my Kobo saying that the content was locked. Same thing happened to all three books. I suspected that this had something to do with the firmware update I did a few weeks back, so I connected the Kobo to my PC, pulled up the Kobo desktop and did an 'Update Library' and 'Sync'. Still the same problem.

I then decided to take matters into my own hands and remove my old books and recopy the downloaded books to my Kobo using (the much more reliable) ADE. Worked fine and I can access those books, BUT...the ORIGINAL locked copies of my books are still on my Kobo (even though I deleted them through ADE). Duplicate copies of each book now exist! The copies I can access are obvious - they lost their front cover graphics when copied from ADE. The other copies (that were copied from the Kobo App. from direct download or from the Kobo store via my wifi) are also still there - and still locked.

So...my next step was to go into my Kobo's file system to see if I can delete the original Kobo .epubs and start all over again by re-downloading all three books from my Kobo account. BUT, I can't find those files! What the?! I need

Let me know if you have answers to any of these questions:

1. How did my purchased books become locked in the first place? Is it because I have not touched them in two months? Is it because of the firmware upgrade?

2. How did I manage to copy two of the same book on my Kobo? Shouldn't it recognize a duplicate and give an error message?

3. How can I clean up this mess?!?!?!

4. How can I prevent this from happening again?

5. If it does happen again, what is the 'easy' fix? I thought deleting and re-copying through ADE was the smart choice (since that's what I have done with my library books), but this time it didn't work out so well.

All I can say is thank goodness it's only three books. But, I'd like to know what went wrong, nonetheless. Thanks!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Can you use the DELETE button on the Kobo itself? Go the BOOKS menu I think and take a look at the MENU selection.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

There is a DELETE function on the Kobo? I don't have it with me now, but I am certain there isn't one (which is why I've always deleted books through ADE). Can anyone confirm?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
sunami88
Enthusiast
sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo
It was added in 1.8 for the original Kobo. You've probably missed it, it's not really prominently displayed.

Go to your Books (not the I'm Reading List), and "hover" over the book you want to remove. Press menu and at the bottom under Manage should be Delete This Book.

Hope this helps, but if it's locked I'll bet it's some DRM gone awry issue.

Last edited by sunami88; 12-29-2010 at 01:26 PM.
sunami88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Go to HOME; then move to BOOKS view. Finally press the MENU button. Bottom item is Delete This Book.

This is on both WiFi and on Classic with updated firmware.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
Beach650
Beach650 began at the beginning.

I'm having a similar problem but with a library book and Adobe Digital Ed - I copied the book to my Kobo before the firmware upgrade but only tried opening it after the firmware upgrade and now it's telling me it's locked - so I suspect the firmware upgrade botched something.

I've tried deleting the offending book from the kobo and putting it back on but it gives me the same error when I try to open it on my kobo: "the content you are trying to view is locked. please use your adobe id to authorize your ereader with ADE"

except my ADE is authorized and I have previously successfully put books on my kobo with it. And the library book is still good - I can read it on my computer.

Any thoughts???
Beach650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
Beach650

Ah - nevermind, I see my problem is a bug in 1.8.1 and I should get 1.8.2 if I want to fix it!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Go to HOME; then move to BOOKS view. Finally press the MENU button. Bottom item is Delete This Book.

This is on both WiFi and on Classic with updated firmware.
I have the WiFi 1.7.4 - and I didn't notice a delete feature after my most recent upgrade. I will go have another look.

Theoretically, if I remove the original copies of my purchased books - which are currently locked (and my 'duplicate' copies that I side-loaded through ADE), I should be able to re-download my original purchased books through my Kobo account via WiFi - correct? (I only purchased one via WiFi - two others I bought on Kobo.com on my PC...and never tried re-downloading).

Thanks again for the help!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
I had a similar problem after downloading a library book. I had multiple copies of some of my books that wouldn't delete, and they didn't show up in the desktop app or ADE. Plus, I couldn't open any of the books I'd side-loaded with ADE. Things were pretty messed up.

I had to do a factory reset to get rid of the extra books and then reload all my books onto the device. It works fine now (but I'm kind of leery of library books)...
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
pokee
Fanatic

My library books have all worked flawlessly. Well-managed using ADE.

The issue I am having is with the books I purchased. This was prior to the 1.7.4 upgrade, so I am thinking this upgrade is what locked out the books I purchased. But, I don't believe I've heard of anyone else having this issue...anyone?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic

Well...when I got home tonight, I deleted my original downloaded books and re-downloaded...STILL LOCKED!!!! GRRRRR!!!! Tried again and got another problem (which I will detail in another thread, since it seems to be off topic now!!!). Bummer...

Last edited by pokee; 12-31-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Pokee, have you authorised the KOBO with ADE - not just the computer. I had thought the same thing, my ADE was authorised, but then I found out that my KOBO wasn't (the firmware upgrade must have removed it). I then reauthorised it - I can't remember the shortcuts, hopefully someone will come along with those. It is not the same as authorising your computer for ADE.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:41 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
PC instructions:

Open ADE on your pc, connect the Kobo to the pc. Then press Ctrl,Shift, E. You should get a box asking of you want to deauthorize, select yes.

Unplug your Kobo from the computer, and plug it in again. Now you should get a box saying that a new device has been detected and you can authorize it.

MAC OS X instructions

Open ADE on your MAC, connect the Kobo to the it. Then press CMD-SHIFT-E. You should get a box asking of you want to deauthorize, select yes.

Unplug your Kobo from the computer, and plug it in again. Now you should get a box saying that a new device has been detected and you can authorize it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
Beach650

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
PC instructions:

Open ADE on your pc, connect the Kobo to the pc. Then press Ctrl,Shift, E. You should get a box asking of you want to deauthorize, select yes.

Thanks for that. I did this and it went fine but I am still having the same problem. Will try upgrading to 1.8.2 and see if that fixes the bug.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #15
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

I had the same issue with my wife's Kobo after upgrading. I did a factory reset, and then resync'd the unit to the desktop.

Everything sems fine now.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote