Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Nook & OD to provide Magazines to Libraries

Looks like Zinio is about to get some competition. This new program is still several months out and will be available for both US and UK customers.

NOOK and OverDrive partner to provide digital magazines and newspapers to libraries

Quote:
NOOK Media, a subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, Inc., and OverDrive, the leading eBook platform for libraries, today announced a new partnership to enable public libraries to provide readers with access to hundreds of the most popular digital magazines and newspapers from the NOOK Newsstand. Utilizing OverDrive platforms integrated with library catalogs, library patrons in the U.S. and U.K. will be able to discover, access and read a huge selection of NOOK Newsstand titles on their NOOK tablet device and on tablets, smartphones and PCs via the suite of Free NOOK Reading Apps. The new service is expected to roll out to customers in the coming months.

NOOK Newsstand features the largest digital collection of the top 100 bestselling U.S. magazines, available for both digital subscriptions and single copy sales, and a vast collection of newspapers and magazines from around the world. A huge selection of that content will be available for readers to check out for free from their local library. The new partnership between OverDrive and NOOK Newsstand will enable readers to access popular magazines and newspapers in the same manner, and on the same website, as they discover and borrow OverDrive eBooks, audiobooks and streaming video. Libraries will be able to purchase concurrent access to all selected publications.

Library patrons can check out these digital magazines and newspapers with a valid library card and read them through their NOOK account via a NOOK tablet device or Free NOOK Reading App available for a multitude of smartphones and tablets. Customers who download NOOK Newsstand content through their local library always have access to the free in-store support and expertise provided by the booksellers at Barnes & Noble’s more than 650 bookstores across the U.S.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
interesting...may be able to cancel some of my mag subs via B&N
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
interesting...may be able to cancel some of my mag subs via B&N
Does your library have Zinio?

I use it at my libraries for Nat Geo and other science/nature magazines. I don't spend any money on magazines thanks to Zinio.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do...only because I wont some digital subs and thought they would let me get the nook ones, but it defaulted to zinio...So I stick with zinio for the ones I just want to glance through, but I keep nook for the ones I want to liberate and keep long term. i just recently checked my libraries zinio and the only ones that I care about are the ones I won free subs to...so i can continue to check them out after my free subscriptions expire. However there are some mags I just want to keep...don't know if that makes sense.

both of my libraries have very limited Zinio offerings
Old 10-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I do...only because I wont some digital subs and thought they would let me get the nook ones, but it defaulted to zinio...So I stick with zinio for the ones I just want to glance through, but I keep nook for the ones I want to liberate and keep long term. i just recently checked my libraries zinio and the only ones that I care about are the ones I won free subs to...so i can continue to check them out after my free subscriptions expire. However there are some mags I just want to keep...don't know if that makes sense.

both of my libraries have very limited Zinio offerings
It make sense. I have a different take on digital content from the library. If a book or magazine that I want isn't available, I pick something else instead. I won't buy what I wanted and I'm quite happy to settle for 2nd and 3rd choices.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Will libraries use both services or ditch Zinio for B&N or any number of other options. Choice is good, provided the content is there and it's priced right.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
gabby98
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It make sense. I have a different take on digital content from the library. If a book or magazine that I want isn't available, I pick something else instead. I won't buy what I wanted and I'm quite happy to settle for 2nd and 3rd choices......
something I should do...especially because it usually takes a while before I can actually sit down and enjoy them

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Will libraries use both services or ditch Zinio for B&N or any number of other options. Choice is good, provided the content is there and it's priced right.
Agreed - Choices are always best...it would be ideal if they used both! some will, so won't. Guess I will have to see where my libraries fall
Old 10-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
something I should do...especially because it usually takes a while before I can actually sit down and enjoy them

Agreed - Choices are always best...it would be ideal if they used both! some will, so won't. Guess I will have to see where my libraries fall
Most of my libraries have Zinio and I'm able to get quite a few magazines on my A-list, so I don't have to settle very often. Often, I'll download issues of select magazines to my Fire HDX 8.9 to take with me on nature outings.