Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-12-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
tnbagwell
tnbagwell began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Calibre not reflecting all books on device

I'm using a Nexus 7 and Calibre Companion. I deleted all my books off the device and then re-exported them to the device using Calibre Companion. Normally I do this via my home network. In this case, I connected my Nook directly via USB to charge it a bit, and noticed that Calibre is missing about a third of the books.

It shows a check mark next to the books on the device, but there are many I know are on the device that don't have a check next to them. I exported them all at the same time.

Any idea what's happening?
tnbagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It's possible the metadata got unmatched. Do the books still get listed in device view, but without a check? This can happen if the metadata.calibre cache is corrupted/deleted, or if you changed the metatdata in calibre. (matches are done by name. Plugboards DO mess this up, unless the connection is remembered in metatata.calibre)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You cannot use both a USB and Calibre Companion. books sent one way are not seen by the other.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbagwell View Post
I'm using a Nexus 7 and Calibre Companion. I deleted all my books off the device and then re-exported them to the device using Calibre Companion. Normally I do this via my home network. In this case, I connected my Nook directly via USB to charge it a bit, and noticed that Calibre is missing about a third of the books.

It shows a check mark next to the books on the device, but there are many I know are on the device that don't have a check next to them. I exported them all at the same time.

Any idea what's happening?
Possibly connecting two devices at the same time messed things up. As I understand it connecting two devices at the same time is a "No No".

Probably easiest way to fix things is delete everything off Nexus 7 again. Then with only Nexus 7 with Calibre Companion connected (in usual wireless way), reload the books from calibre library. Edit: but considering eschwartz' comment above, before doing the reload, first in calibre Preferences > Sending Books to Devices, select "automatic management" on the Metadata Management menu.

Last edited by unboggling; 01-13-2014 at 01:07 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Possibly connecting two devices at the same time messed things up. As I understand it connecting two devices at the same time is a "No No".
The problem with connecting two devices is that once Calibre has seen the first device, it will not see the second as it stops looking once a device has been found.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The problem with connecting two devices is that once Calibre has seen the first device, it will not see the second as it stops looking once a device has been found.
Which is restating what chaley said. I understand that. Are you saying the cause of some books not showing up could not have been the fact that 2 devices were connected at once, one wireless and one usb?

If that is the case then the solution would probably involve deleting the books off device then reloading the books (with metadata settings appropriately set) anyway. If that doesn't fix the problem, I don't know what else could be the problem cause, or what other solution would work. Except double-checking all settings on device side and calibre side to make sure they are all appropriate.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think there is a metadata 'pipeline' problem. 2 entirely different flows.

CC expects to handle ALL the books.

CC does not use USB, therefore any books sent via that path are not acknowledged by CC
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think there is a metadata 'pipeline' problem. 2 entirely different flows.

CC expects to handle ALL the books.

CC does not use USB, therefore any books sent via that path are not acknowledged by CC
That might affect it. I think OP is talking about books not showing up in calibre Device View.

Last edited by unboggling; 01-13-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
That might affect it. I think OP is talking about books not showing up in calibre Device View.
Yep, Because it is being treated as 2 different devices: CC and direct
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 AM   #10
tnbagwell
tnbagwell began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Thanks for the replies. I just deleted all books and reloaded them via CC. Everything seems fine now.
tnbagwell is offline   Reply With Quote