Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #526
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
in a videoreview the author show that it's a setting of the kobo. I don't know if i can link this videoreview
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It is not a Kobo setting. I have books from Kobo in both styles, some with spaces between paragraphs, and some without.
You're wrong. This is a Kobo formatting/styling kepub issue or bug if you like.
Kobo adds "kobo hack styles" (yes, that how Kobo calls it) to the original epub file obtained from the publisher and calls that epub a kepub.
These additional styles can break the intended layout formatting set by the publisher and make the actual output unpredicatable and uncontrolable. But this varies from kepub to kepub and you never can tell beforehand which kepubs might be affected with this issue.

If a original, publisher epub has no blank lines between paragraphs the kepub can either end up with blank lines between paragraphs or without. Roll the dice…

Why can other ereader manufacturers offer device specific features/settings that can be enabled or disabled by the user without affecting the layout of an epub? Features like text alignment, ligatures, hyphenation, font styles, social media features (FaceBook, Twitter) etc. Features that are identical or similar to the ones that Kobo devices offer but all features work with the original epub (and independed of the actual book store that sold it.)

Maybe Kobos development team can answer that.

Last edited by Anak; 07-25-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #527
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
You're wrong. This is a Kobo formatting/styling kepub issue or bug if you like.
Kobo adds "kobo hack styles" (yes, that how Kobo calls it) to the original epub file obtained from the publisher and calls that epub a kepub.
These additional styles can break the intended layout formatting set by the publisher and make the actual output unpredicatable and uncontrolable. But this varies from kepub to kepub and you never can tell beforehand which kepubs might be affected with this issue.

If a original, publisher epub has no blank lines between paragraphs the kepub can either end up with blank lines between paragraphs or without. Roll the dice…

Why can other ereader manufacturers offer device specific features/settings that can be enabled or disabled by the user without affecting the layout of an epub? Features like text alignment, ligatures, hyphenation, font styles, social media features (FaceBook, Twitter) etc. Features that are identical or similar to the ones that Kobo devices offer but all features work with the original epub (and independed of the actual book store that sold it.)

Maybe Kobos development team can answer that.
No, your both right. The formatting of epubs is dependent on the publisher and how well the reader interprets them. The formatting of kepubs is also dependent on the publisher plus any extra styles that Kobo wants to add. A kepub is NOT an epub. They look a lot like them, but as Kobo's own format, it is up to Kobo to decide how to display them. But, Kobo has been moving towards treating them as epubs. Newer kepubs tend to have dropped the extra styling. Kobo have also fixed some of the older ones, but I think it is as people complain about them rather than a process to clean them all up.

My experience of comparing the epub and kepub versions of books I have bought from Kobo is that they are generally displayed the same. For most, if the kepub looks ugly, the epub is just as bad. I have few that the kepub looks worse. For at least one, I am fairly sure they were different versions of the same book. I suspect that a crappy version was supplied to Kobo for conversion to kepub. But a cleaned up version is was later made available for the epub but not supplied to Kobo. Or Kobo hadn't done the conversion again. And I have at least one where the kepub is the good looking version.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #528
juliana000
juliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: kindle touch, kobo
I used the kindle for years and last week I Finally reiceve my aura. I loved, for reading manga is perfect.
But I what I really miss is that on the kindle I could see how many pages are in the book, not just in the chapter along with how many hours (in chapters and in all book) I still have to finish.
I know if I want to see the real page numbers I just have to change kepub to epub. But I really like to see how many hours I still have to finish and you can only see this in kepub
sorry for the broken english, I'm from brazil.
I hope kobo will come with a solution for this
I also loved that you can add new fonts, and customize margins and all =D
juliana000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #529
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@juliana000: See Wikipedia, new translation options, and many other tweaks to nickel and look at the FullBookPageNumbers option.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #530
juliana000
juliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjuliana000 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@juliana000: See Wikipedia, new translation options, and many other tweaks to nickel and look at the FullBookPageNumbers option.
I saw this post, but I don't understand what i have to do, to activate this, could you help? please
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #531
juliana000

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana000 View Post
I saw this post, but I don't understand what i have to do, to activate this, could you help? please
Oh, I got it, I'M SO HAPPY
Now kobo aura is really my dream e-reader
Old 07-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #532
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana000 View Post
I think basically you have to hack your aura.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #533
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
I love the Espresso color. Hope the new e-reader will retain this color and have more colors to choose from.

Last edited by DStyle; 08-18-2013 at 08:20 AM.
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #534
Mookie
Major Major
Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PW
I'm coming rather late to this party, but here is my 2 cents (and worth every penny).

I have owned many readers from original Irex models, Sony, Kindle, B&N and others.

I was very excited at the prospect of a relatively hi-res eink screen and smooth back lighting. So I was an early adopter of the Kobo Aura and received mine in late April.

The display and size were fantastic, font capabilities (while secondary for me) were excellent. To date I had never had such a crisp and evenly lighted screen for my ebook needs. I loved the technology.

Unfortunately I found all the social networking features and the menu system not to my liking. Also the Kobobooks Website was painful to navigate and had few customization capabilities.

Also, when using Calibre sideloaded ebooks kept falling out of the Aura collections.

So I had a GREAT ereader with a weak infrastructure. I tried to overlook the latter for almost 4 months. But eventually the arcology wore me down. I sold it last week.

This was my experience. YMMV.
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #535
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
I have owned many readers from original Irex models, Sony, Kindle, B&N and others.

I was very excited at the prospect of a relatively hi-res eink screen and smooth back lighting. So I was an early adopter of the Kobo Aura and received mine in late April.

By the way, which is the best e-reader among those that you own is the best for you and why?
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #536
Mookie
Major Major
Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I have gone back to the Paperwhite - for the time being. I am hopeful that a new PW is on the horizon using the same display as the Kobo Aura. Hopefully Kindle has also addressed the tech that they use to channel the light across the screen.

I converted to the Kobo Aura both for the impeccable eink / back light combination, but also to escape the clutches of Amazon.

But I was miserable in the Kobo ecosystem.

Rats.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #537
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
I'm coming rather late to this party, but here is my 2 cents (and worth every penny).

The display and size were fantastic, font capabilities (while secondary for me) were excellent. To date I had never had such a crisp and evenly lighted screen for my ebook needs. I loved the technology.

Unfortunately I found all the social networking features and the menu system not to my liking. Also the Kobobooks Website was painful to navigate and had few customization capabilities.

Also, when using Calibre sideloaded ebooks kept falling out of the Aura collections.

So I had a GREAT ereader with a weak infrastructure. I tried to overlook the latter for almost 4 months. But eventually the arcology wore me down. I sold it last week.

This was my experience. YMMV.
To me! I'm counting down to it's arrival Thursday I can't wait to get my hands on it and explore the differences between it and my Sony T1.

Since the Aura's release I've been a regular lurker here, soaking up info on it in the hopes that one day I'd get my hands on one locally (at full price I wanted to be able to try it in person first) which I've seen no sign of yet in San Diego. Also the stories of how difficult it was for folks to communicate with Kobo regarding their orders made me hesitant to order from them.

I've skimmed through the Aura User's Guide already, can't hardly wait for it to arrive.

Also hoping to get a nice coupon code from Kobo's latest contest for a pricey new book I've got my eye on; 3 e-mail addresses and the best was only 20%, Dan it!

Last edited by MarciaCat; 08-20-2013 at 09:35 PM.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #538
Mookie
Major Major

Hi MarciaCat - I'm sure you will be delighted with the Aura. It is really the best display and backlight on the market.

I participate in the Kobo contests too. I just received a 25% coupon. But the coupons are only for the books Kobo has identified in the campaign. There have been a few relatively new releases, so it's certainly worth checking!

Regards,

Alex
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #539
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Hi MarciaCat - I'm sure you will be delighted with the Aura. It is really the best display and backlight on the market.

I participate in the Kobo contests too. I just received a 25% coupon. But the coupons are only for the books Kobo has identified in the campaign. There have been a few relatively new releases, so it's certainly worth checking!

Regards,

Alex
I tested the book I'm interested in with one of my small coupons and it gets applied so I'm hoping I'll get a bigger code on one of my 3 e-mails; I've also got a few family members playing just to get a few more chances- my Dad just got me a 30% but with eight more days and 7 total e-mail addresses I've got 56 more chances.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #540
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
@MarciaCat: I hope you'll like it as much as I do
If the social features are not your thing either, you can turn them off.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote