Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
OwenA
OwenA began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hi Booxtor,

I'm in the UK.

The M92 was purchased direct from the Onyx website (I think - my employer bought it so I will have to check with them on Monday). I don't think there is any way they will be able to deal with it quickly enough to be of any help, and if the data is lost then fixing the screen isn't going to help me that much anyway - it's the data that's the urgent issue. I have to get the work done this week so it looks like I'm going to have some late nights and no weekends coming up.

I was supposed to be assessing the M92 as a tool for marking student essays and dissertations, and am also supposed to be publishing a paper later this summer in which I hoped I could recommend it as suitable for doing that (as I an all in favour of cutting down on unnecessary paper).

The straight line was there the first time I turned it on when I first got it out of the box - but turning it off and on again fixed it. The screen has never behaved well, and thinking back I sometimes had problems getting the stylus to work and had to turn it off and on to make that work properly. So it may have been a fault that was there all along.

Oh bother it! But thank you
OwenA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #17
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenA View Post
Does anyone have any ideas?
Forgive me to ask the obvious: you don't use a sd-card?

Quote:
I have tried just pressing the 'okay' button and hoping that this initiates the connection - but it doesn't work.
I only have a i62 (6") but there it is not possible to get the okay-action by pressing any button. It seems to be touch-only.
Maybe you can find a helpful soul here that gives you the exact measurements where the "okay" field sits on the M92 so that you can try touching and hitting this area.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #18
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Hi Booxtor,

I'm in the UK.

The M92 was purchased direct from the Onyx website (I think - my employer bought it so I will have to check with them on Monday). I don't think there is any way they will be able to deal with it quickly enough to be of any help, and if the data is lost then fixing the screen isn't going to help me that much anyway - it's the data that's the urgent issue. I have to get the work done this week so it looks like I'm going to have some late nights and no weekends coming up.

I was supposed to be assessing the M92 as a tool for marking student essays and dissertations, and am also supposed to be publishing a paper later this summer in which I hoped I could recommend it as suitable for doing that (as I an all in favour of cutting down on unnecessary paper).

The straight line was there the first time I turned it on when I first got it out of the box - but turning it off and on again fixed it. The screen has never behaved well, and thinking back I sometimes had problems getting the stylus to work and had to turn it off and on to make that work properly. So it may have been a fault that was there all along.

Oh bother it! But thank you
If you can send it to our maintenance, I could fix your M92 immediatelly and send back by UPS. Screen would be free, but shipping - yours (you can pay it later). Is it Ok for you? You can contact me by email if you are interested.

Last edited by Booxtor; 05-19-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #19
OwenA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Forgive me to ask the obvious: you don't use a sd-card?

I only have a i62 (6") but there it is not possible to get the okay-action by pressing any button. It seems to be touch-only.
Maybe you can find a helpful soul here that gives you the exact measurements where the "okay" field sits on the M92 so that you can try touching and hitting this area.

Billi - thanks for the info. on trying to press the 'okay' button - I wasn't sure if this would work.

And yes - Is there anyone out there with an M92 who could tell me how far from the left and how far from the top of the screen the 'yes' button is.... so that I can try prodding that area with the stylus.... although from what Booxtor said this would probably be a bit of a long shot.

As to the SD card question.. this is the first tablet I have owned, I do have and SD card but haven't really figured out what I am supposed to do with it, apart from using it for updates. So should I be storing my worked on files on the SD card, and not in the internal storage? Or do you mean that I should be using it to back things up? In which case - yes I should have, but as I'm new to the world of tablets and I hadn't got my backup routines organised yet. I will do this in future - if I ever pluck up the courage to use the thing again for marking. I should also have been uploading to my computer daily then I would only have lost a day's work. The loosing of the work is entirely my fault - I should know better.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
OwenA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
If you can send it to our maintenance, I could fix your M92 immediatelly and send back by UPS. Screen would be free, but shipping - yours (you can pay it later). Is it Ok for you? You can contact me by email if you are interested.

Thanks Booxter. It will have to be done via my employer as they purchased it (and they are not known for their speed at dealing with this kind of thing - it took the two months to buy it in the first place) but I will pass your message and all your details onto them.

If we send it to you, rather than back to the Onyx store, presumably that doesn't invalidate the warranty at all? Would I need to get their permission to do this first - rather than sending it back to them? I don't quite understand the relationship between you and Onyx. Their website says that warranty returns have to go to Arta Tech - but I suspect they may take longer than you.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
As to the SD card question.. this is the first tablet I have owned, I do have and SD card but haven't really figured out what I am supposed to do with it, apart from using it for updates. So should I be storing my worked on files on the SD card, and not in the internal storage? Or do you mean that I should be using it to back things up?
I meant for storing the books there and not in the internal storage. But please, don't get me wrong, there is no "should" or "must" or "best way", it's simply one of the possibilities to store all the books on the external card. And your case shows one advantage of doing so: you could just take out the sd-card out of your device and you would have your work immediately available.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #22
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Thanks Booxter. It will have to be done via my employer as they purchased it (and they are not known for their speed at dealing with this kind of thing - it took the two months to buy it in the first place) but I will pass your message and all your details onto them.

If we send it to you, rather than back to the Onyx store, presumably that doesn't invalidate the warranty at all? Would I need to get their permission to do this first - rather than sending it back to them? I don't quite understand the relationship between you and Onyx. Their website says that warranty returns have to go to Arta Tech - but I suspect they may take longer than you.
Ok, I understood first you got it from Onyx directly (from China) but you got it from Artatech Polen.(the Website Onyx-Boox does not mean it is Onyx directly, just pretending it).
In this case the only possibility is to contact Artatech for the warranty service..

Now how to connect your broken device to pc:
1. Please reset it (hole on the rear cover of M92)
2. Power it on. Make sure you can see the blue led going on for approximately 10 sec.
3. Wait additional 10 sec and connect to your PC via USB. Make sure there a re no other USB devices connected to your PC and the speaker of the PC are on, so you can hear a USB connecting signal.
4. Just press once joystick's OK button (it is the same as clicking with stylus on OK in the connecting dialog window on M92)

Afterwards you must be able to see the internal memory of your device.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #23
OwenA

Hi - no USB connecting signal and nothing on the desktop. Thanks anyway. I'll ask my employer to send it Artatech - and I'll ask them to purchase from you in future