Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
clarkent
clarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Books Removed

On Christmas I received a chapters gift card and used it to buy books for my kobo, I own the Kobo Arc and Glo, I've owned each version of the Kobo, from the Kobo, Kobo Wi-Fi, Kobo Touch and now these last two versions. I've been switching back and forth between two books, Stolen by Kelley Armstrong and Tales From Development Hell by, I'm not sure. I'm not sure because the book is now gone from my Glo and Arc. My gift card still shows that it's been used, the $50 is now down to $14, but the books I've bought are missing from my library. I've never had this happen before. I've sent off a nice email to Kobo cust. service, but a form email informed me that, because of the holiday demand for Kobo's, a prompt response wasn't in the works.

I haven't heard of anything like this happening with the Kobo, the Kindle yes, so I'm curious if anyone's had an experience like this?
clarkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you checked at the KoboBooks.com website under the "My Library" section.

Check all three listed locations;
I'm Reading --> http://www.kobobooks.com/library/reading.html
Purchased --> http://www.kobobooks.com/library/purchased.html
Trash --> http://www.kobobooks.com/library/trash.html

If in Trash you can select the books and do an UnDelete.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
clarkent
clarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura about

Just ran through those options, the books I'd bought and partially read were nowhere to be found, not in the purchased or trash column or anywhere.

I can see this happening if it was my debit or credit card and the purchases didn't go through, but this came off a Chapters gift card and I can see, by looking at the balance, that the purchases were made.

Hopefully Kobo will get back to me soon.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Did you happen to change your Kobo account email address during the period in which you bought the books and the time that you lost them?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ClarkKent you may want to have a look at this thread because many options/solutions have been posted some of which you may find work for you:

How to redownload a book to my Kobo
Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
clarkent

After a lengthy email exchange between myself and a Kobo representative, I still don't have the books I bought with my gift card, nor the money returned to the gift card for the books removed from my Arc and Glo. I was told there was no way for them to look at the transactions on the gift card, in order to see that I had paid for the books. The only difference from when I used my CC to buy books was that, I never recived an emailed receipt from Kobo, showing the book. The gift card was charged and the next day I would receive an email saying "Take a second look at..." whatever book I had bought the day before. I forwarded them these emails to illustrate what was happening, including the "Take a second look at..." email for a book I had bought on the gift card, the night before, that actually showed up in my purchases. I'm assuming there was some error in the software there somewhere that could cause this scenario.

I managed to finish one of the books, because I had turned off syncing with my old Kobo Touch, but as soon as I finished the book, I synced, and watched it disappear from the Touch.

The Kobo representative asked, pretty much, the same questions as above, did you use the same email and such. It's the only Kobo account I have and the books showed up on all my devices, so yeah, it was under the same email.

In the end I told them it made me nervous to buy any more books from Kobo if there was no way to track purchases. (accounting must not be too important, a fifty dollar gift card emptied in to their store and there's no balancing the books, so to say) And their reply was a lengthy instruction on how to side load books from other bookstores. So, in the end, I guess they chose to not have me as their customer anymore.

Torn with leaving Kobo now, I'm a pretty brand loyal individual, as I stated I've had every version of the Kobo, except for the Kobo mini. But, I'm out fifty bucks and scared to use their store again.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Any idea what tier of customer care you were talking to? (Did you get the persons name?)

In addition to the URL's that Peter posted, there is one more to look at which is:

Purchase History: https://secure.kobobooks.com/71485/p...urchasehistory
This is found under the My Account section.

Do the books appear on that list? I cannot honestly say wether books purchased with gift cards do show up there (I'm trying to find out), but I know books purchased using promo codes will show up there, so I'm guessing any purchase should be displayed on that list, whereas the other Purchases list might not display them.

I would also suggest talking to executive customer care and see if they can help at all, you can email them here: KOBOExecutiveCare@kobo.com

Last edited by Sharkus; 01-09-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkent View Post
After a lengthy email exchange between myself and a Kobo representative, I still don't have the books I bought with my gift card, nor the money returned to the gift card for the books removed from my Arc and Glo. I was told there was no way for them to look at the transactions on the gift card, in order to see that I had paid for the books. The only difference from when I used my CC to buy books was that, I never recived an emailed receipt from Kobo, showing the book. The gift card was charged and the next day I would receive an email saying "Take a second look at..." whatever book I had bought the day before. I forwarded them these emails to illustrate what was happening, including the "Take a second look at..." email for a book I had bought on the gift card, the night before, that actually showed up in my purchases. I'm assuming there was some error in the software there somewhere that could cause this scenario.

I managed to finish one of the books, because I had turned off syncing with my old Kobo Touch, but as soon as I finished the book, I synced, and watched it disappear from the Touch.

The Kobo representative asked, pretty much, the same questions as above, did you use the same email and such. It's the only Kobo account I have and the books showed up on all my devices, so yeah, it was under the same email.

In the end I told them it made me nervous to buy any more books from Kobo if there was no way to track purchases. (accounting must not be too important, a fifty dollar gift card emptied in to their store and there's no balancing the books, so to say) And their reply was a lengthy instruction on how to side load books from other bookstores. So, in the end, I guess they chose to not have me as their customer anymore.

Torn with leaving Kobo now, I'm a pretty brand loyal individual, as I stated I've had every version of the Kobo, except for the Kobo mini. But, I'm out fifty bucks and scared to use their store again.

if if were me, i would keep complaining. i am pretty sure i read about one or maybe more other people on this forum who had the exact same thing happen. also around christmas. also with gift cards they've been given. i think it's pretty obvious their system messed up and if it had happened to me, i would be pretty ticked off.

if they do give you back the money, i would take screen shots or similar as you are buying to see it doesn't happen again...just my opinion though
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
clarkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Any idea what tier of customer care you were talking to? (Did you get the persons name?)

In addition to the URL's that Peter posted, there is one more to look at which is:

Purchase History: https://secure.kobobooks.com/71485/p...urchasehistory
This is found under the My Account section.

Do the books appear on that list? I cannot honestly say wether books purchased with gift cards do show up there (I'm trying to find out), but I know books purchased using promo codes will show up there, so I'm guessing any purchase should be displayed on that list, whereas the other Purchases list might not display them.

I would also suggest talking to executive customer care and see if they can help at all, you can email them here: KOBOExecutiveCare@kobo.com

Thanks, I will try this
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
clarkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
if if were me, i would keep complaining. i am pretty sure i read about one or maybe more other people on this forum who had the exact same thing happen. also around christmas. also with gift cards they've been given. i think it's pretty obvious their system messed up and if it had happened to me, i would be pretty ticked off.

if they do give you back the money, i would take screen shots or similar as you are buying to see it doesn't happen again...just my opinion though

I was just taken aback by how quickly they informed me of how to sideload books from other stores, something I already knew btw. You would think they could see that I had already bought, at least, over a hundred books, and owned each version of the Kobo and maybe it would be a good idea to retain me as a customer instead of just cutting me loose. Very strange customer service.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkent View Post
I was just taken aback by how quickly they informed me of how to sideload books from other stores, something I already knew btw. You would think they could see that I had already bought, at least, over a hundred books, and owned each version of the Kobo and maybe it would be a good idea to retain me as a customer instead of just cutting me loose. Very strange customer service.
agreed!
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

ClarkKent here is the link to Kobo Robin's thread. Don't know if you're familiar with the thread?

But why not send him a PM and outline the problems because of your Arc.

Kobo Arc

Let us know via this thread how you eventually end up.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Keep complaining. This has happened to me since Christmas as well and I've now had to download every book I purchase no matter how I purchase them to be sure I can keep them. (Stripping drm to be sure). They refunded me the 30 I spent on the first three this happened to.. twice since the first time didn't stay. (Figured they would fix the glitch of the returning 10 credit before the 30 could be just as glitched -might be why they removed it before I had 30 to spend over and over...)

Beyond that point, I'm having the same trouble or was... the last two stayed in my account this time. But I still didn't get the receipts, nor are they in my purchase history.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #14
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Kobo are forcing people to download epubs and strip the drm -- either that or get into a long tedious email exchange ending up in frustration and no books.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #15
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Something to consider if you haven't yet, contacting either Chapters / Indigo or the company that provides them with the gift cards, this info is usually on the back of the card. They might be able to provide some kind of proof that the transaction took place.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote